Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Weiand Intake Manifold=Improved power?

leeboy66

Corvette
1977 Bright Yellow Coupe
In a recent Corvette Enthusiast magazine article, the author suggests a Weiand Action+Plus intake dual plane manifold that is designed for use as a stock replacement, with improved power and torque characteristics. I am thinking of purchasing one when I add headers and a new true dual exhaust system this winter. Will this new manifold make any noticeable difference in power?

In a recent Corvette Enthusiast magazine article, the author suggests a Weiand Action+Plus intake dual plane manifold that is designed for use as a stock replacement, with improved power and torque characteristics. I am thinking of purchasing one when I add headers and a new true dual exhaust system this winter. Will this new manifold make any noticeable difference in power?

yes it will usually make a noticable improvement, (easily 10-15hp or more on a stock engine) but it can also be a far more noticable addition to your combo once you swap to better heads and a larger cam, where the stock intake would be far more of a restriction to airflow rates, but if you have the hood clearance the two other versions below have even more potential

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_28870_-1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_377188_-1
this ones exceptional

you say 10-15 HP. Any idea at what RPM you'd see that power?

that mostly depends on the exact combo of parts and your use of headers ETC. but on a basically stock engine , the gains going to be mostly from about 3500rpm on up where the better flow rates and lower restriction helps the most, keep in mind that the stock intakes designed mostly for CHEAP/EASY production and hood clearance, and not a great deal of effort was made in the effort to help peak hp.
the raised port angle and slightly less restrictive ports help the mid rpm range, if you upgrade to the air strike version the large ports. even higher entrance angle and cooler runner temps have even more advantages,
but you might want to remember that the intake is part of a total system, and without better head and a larger cam and headers the full potential of that intake cant be reached.
yet either of those intakes is going to be better than the stock intake and in most cases youll notice the engine pulls to higher rpms and has better responsiveness
BTW IF your REALLY interested in increasing power you need decent heads a cam change and more compression, yeah! that all takes time,effort a a good chunk of cash, but you can make a HUGE improvement in the power levels

Early spring I am upgrading cylinder heads, carb, intake, Cam/Lifters/Pushrods, 1.5 Roller Rockers, pulleys, water pump, timing chain, etc. A lot of work but as mentioned previously, they all work together. Definitely consider a cam upgrade.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom