Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

welding or other fix for a/c aluminum pipes?

tonyponykay

Corvette
1980 maroon, 1987 vert yellow/black "bumblebee"
hi all,

bent my ac pipe, the aluminum (i think) one that takes a 90 degree turn and goes into the compressor, right in the 90 degree angle it sprung a small hole and all my r 134 leaked out.

hit it with some jb weld, but within a day and night, the new r134 leaked out as well.

anybody got a fix? can i torch weld it without melting the aluminum?

I hate to try to replace those pipes, they go both ways and are hard to get to where they connect to the condenser etc..

thanks
tony:w

Not unless you're a wizard with a torch; aluminum should be heliarc-welded. Most good radiator shops have a guy that can heliarc-weld aluminum.

:beer
John is right on the money with this one. Replace or heli arc is your only choice.

A welder could fix just about anything, however the idea of have them Tig the part in question isn't a good idea because it is pressurized line.

all the r-134 leaked out already,

I actually saw it and heard it leaking, then I also pressure tested it with the kit that comes with 2 new bottles of r-134, it has a pressure tester which reads zero pressure :confused

so I dont know if its pressurized anymore really....

I'm trying to find the part but can't seem to locate it...

I think its a single part that bolts into the back of the compressor and has both lines coming out, one heading forward to the condensor and one heading back and down to the evaporator.. or vica versa .. I forget which one is which..

thanks for reply :w
:bash:W;help

You can get the A/C lines that attach to the compressor from many of the aftermarket outlets like Mid America. It cost around $140. Sometimes you can find them used for half that or less. I had one I was saving just incase, but I had to clean the shop so I ended up throwing it in the trash. Sorry. Good luck.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom