Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What are your favorite run flat tires?

Now I'm really cursing... Did much research, looked all over CAC for feedback as well as several other sites. Everything I read pointed to Michelin Pilot Sport P2 ZP being the tire to go with so I ordered them from Discount Tire and expect them to arrive tomorrow. I went into a store, saw the A/S ZP, and guessed that the compound might be too hard to grip given the tread wear rating. Now, I find this thread which says the A/S is great and the way to go. I'm poppin' a brew!!!:confused

Shades of cfot.......
interesting reply, i'm trying to figure out if you are an out of work comedian, or trying to be an @#! With comments in this thread and others...

I'd suggest you try milk on your post toasties ;)

i also suggest you reconsider pushing the "submit replay button" if your input doesn't relate or your answer is as flippit as in this thread and the thread about side door reflectors in the c5 general forum!!

Bud dougherty
forums administrator

Shades of cfot.......

I love living free in your mind ;LOL :rotfl

It took you a month and half to figure out THAT Response... :eyerole ;LOL ;LOL :L

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX
:w

Run flats

Michelin PS2 ZP's here, same tire as on the ZR1 now sized for C5 & C6
smooth ride quiet great handeling

Attachments

• 1776.jpg
    1776.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 76
The verdict is in as far as I'm concerned...

The PS2 ZP's arrived and were installed (rear only, the GY's on the front still have quite a bit of life remaining). WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Incredible is the only way to describe. VERY quiet and smoother than Bill Clinton at a southern democrat fund raiser (or cat house if you prefer). So much better that I'm ordering the fronts - not waiting to wear the GY's out. I started running Michelins on my SUVs and P/U trucks years ago - should have known I'd see the same kind of improvement on the Vette. Do youselves a favor boys, go for the SP2 ZPs! Got best price at Discount Tire online. :w

uh , no :eyerole
I had forgotten about this and just happened to stumble upon it again.
I love living free in your mind ;LOL :rotfl

It took you a month and half to figure out THAT Response... :eyerole ;LOL ;LOL :L

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX
:w

I just put the first few miles on my new set to Michelin PS2 A/S ZP's this morning. Quiet and smooth as expected given that the old tires taken off were the original GY F1 GS2 EMT's with 30K miles and wear bars showing on the front. I chose the PS2's because I saved about a hundred bucks on them compared to OEM GY's. The shop that installed them this morning has the big "GOODYEAR" sign above their building also and the Michelins were still cheaper to buy. Besides, I was real happy with the Michelins I put on my old C5 a few years ago.

I'll need to remind myself in 3-4 years what the old tires felt like and sounded like when I replace the Michelins - assuming that my old brain and remember that long. Anyway, that will be the real test. New tires are always quieter and smoother than old and mostly worn out tires.

I just wish GY made a F1 GS D3 in EMT and in C6 sizes so I could try them out on my wive's car and compare the PS2 with the D3. I really love the D3 on my CTS-V. Oh well.

I'm looking for an alternative to Goodyear

I am now on my third set of Goodyear run flat tires for my 03 vette, 76,000 miles.
The tires are great, but pretty pricey. $2500.00 for a set of 4, and they typically only last for 25,000 miles to maybe 30,000 miles if you are lucky. It is a trade off between treadlife, and performance. I dont see how a tire needs to cost 500 to 600 bucks each, but they do perform well. They just dont last long. I typically buy road hazard protection for about 50 bucks per tire, and it has been money well spent, as I have run over nails a couple times. Goodyear has kind of pissed me off now, because I bought this latest set in Everett Wa, then moved to Vegas. I ran over a long screw in the street, and went to make use of the road hazrd protection, only to find out that none of the goodyear shops in vegas are willing to honor it, as it was sold by a goodyear dealer in another state. The repair cost me $63.00. Jerk offs!! Anyway, I am looking at never buying tires from goodyear again, and this post is usefull to me, in considering other brands. Looks like my next set will be michelins. Better price, better treadwear life. ( I did manage to whine and cry a lot to the road hazard insurance company "Soncio", and they finally did re-imburse me for about 40 bucks.) My current road hazard protection is essentially worthless here. $200.00 for coverage, but no one will honor it. Great!!!

Wow, wow, wow, the Michelin Pilot Sport tires are fabulous.

I have logged 230 miles since I changed over to them and I would swear I'm either driving a new car or somebody swapped out my suspension with a new version and didn't tell me.

A special thanks to all of you who recommended the tires. I am very satisfied.

Stay cool and enjoy your rides.

Keep 'em rollin' :W
Bill

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional.

Would you mind elaborating on the different ride; was it smoother, better handling, were the tires stickier, less harsh, what? I have the original runflats on the back with 15K on them and a new set on the front with about 1K on them and I have no noise and the car handles great. I hear all sorts of negative comments about the Good Years and how every one loves all sorts of other brands, but I have never heard of any specific comments, at least that I remember. :confused

Would you mind elaborating on the different ride; was it smoother, better handling, were the tires stickier, less harsh, what? I have the original runflats on the back with 15K on them and a new set on the front with about 1K on them and I have no noise and the car handles great. I hear all sorts of negative comments about the Good Years and how every one loves all sorts of other brands, but I have never heard of any specific comments, at least that I remember. :confused

New tires are always quieter, smoother, and better riding than older tires. Some day those new tires will be old and be harsher riding and noisier and a new set will again be quieter, smoother and better riding.

My personal thoughts are that the GY GS2 on the C6 is better than the GY GS1 that came on the C5 for ride and quietness. My wife's C6 still has an old set of GS2's installed and they are getting noisy. I just recently replaced the OEM GS2's on my '08 with Michelin PS AS ZP and they are indeed quieter, smother and better riding. No real surprise. The real reason for going with the Michelin over another set of GS2's was price.

Soon, I will be installing a set of the Michelin PS AS ZP's on the wife's car just to quieten it down.

Now if GY would make the F1 GS D3 EMT in C6 sizes, I'd probably opt for them even though they cost more because they provide better traction (IMO) than some of the other run-flats (had them on my CTS-V and was very happy) and they are also all weather.

I've always hung with the Goodyears..they are NOT noisy like you constantly hear. Any aged tire is going to get hard and noisier and sure isn't unique to Goodyear. I live near Goodyear Corporate and believe in supporting our local and domestic economy...........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom