Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What can cause the DIC average mpg to reset on its own?

Liquid

Corvette
2002 Millenium Yellow - Z06
2002 - Z06 - 23K - No Mods.

Have owned for 4 years, once in a while over the past two years I would notice the DIC would be set to the odomoter when I looked down after started my drive to work. Only problem was I never left the DIC on the odometer, it is usually set to show Avg MPG or trip mileage.

Only Average MPG is getting reset in the DIC, not the trip meters, and certainly not the oil life or anything else important. More annoying than anything else.

Since last fall and through this spring, the DIC auto resets are becoming more frequent. Never happens during the day, like when I drive it home in afternoon after sitting for the day. Only happens after sitting at least one overnight.

One other thing I have seen is that it seems like if I put the key in and turn to power on electrics, but wait a few seconds for the DIC to fully power up before starting the engine, the reset doesn't usually occur. But if I get in and immediately start the car with the key, it ususally ALWAYS resets the AVG and sets the display to the odometer.

Chevy dealer tried to fix this last fall by replacing the entire instrument cluster (under warranty). No dice.

Any ideas out there? Will weak battery in any way cause these types of symptoms? Battery is at least original to my purchase (4 years).

Any advice appreciated!

All of the above. Check your codes I think that if there was a loose connection it would register as a lost communication, and you would get that code. I had a bunch of "lost communications", just note the codes and reset - see if it happens again.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. A new battery is now in the works.

BTW - have the store test the battery and check the date code before you buy it. The last battery I bought they tried to sell me one 3months older than the others and it also tested defective. Also make sure that it has all the necessary plastic spacers and tubes (this was not for a Vette).

One other thing I'd check, See if a battery at some point leaked. Check the bundle of wires and the PCM which sits directly under the battery pan. If at sometime a battery leaked acid it would have/ could have corroded and are shorting out somewhere in the bundle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom