Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What do u guy's Idle at 85' - 91's

S

Shadowing1985v

my book says i should idle at 400 in over drive,, is this what u guy's are idling at,,, this is a 350 stock, i own a 85'

i think it said 400 i can't remember,, just tell me if you guy's are idling at this and what year of car u got,, if u woudln't mind to just run out side and turn on your corvette and check it out real fast,, would help me out big time, thanx

400 RPM????

If you are idling in gear at a stop at 400 RPM then you have major problems!!!!

My idle in gear at a stop is 540 - 560 RPM.

Gary

im in the 500/600 range,,,mine varies cause it oil fouls a plug once inawhile

Around 600 for mine

wierd

i know,, 400,, is really hard to believe,,,

but my haynes books says 400

can u guy's check to see what it says in your repair books??

Just a thought, do the automatic and stick tranny have different idle speeds? Mine is an auto with 600 RPM idle.

janciello said:
Just a thought, do the automatic and stick tranny have different idle speeds?

Yes.

I found it quicker in the Haynes manual than the GM service manual. The Haynes book states to set the idle for automatic transmission equipped cars at 400 (in drive) and 450 (in neutral) for manual transmission equipped cars. Leastways, that's for '85 thru '91 Corvettes. ;)

_ken :w

Originally posted by
i know,, 400,, is really hard to believe,,,

but my haynes books says 400

Thats what you set the miminum idle at. The ECM regulates the actual idle. In most cases it is at 550-700 rpm depending what is on and what gear your are in. (automatics)

When you first start, the ECM lets it idle at 1100 and drops down within the first minute to controlled idle.

yeah, thats what i thought

yeah yoiru right, it says in my book manual are 600 and auto's are 400 in over drive

and yeah all cars idles are high when u first start your engine then it drops down

so all auto matics should be at 400 at idle,

so i will ask this quesiton again since us knowing this

those of u that have automatics,, what are u idling at,, on years 85 through 91

Re: yeah, thats what i thought

Shadowing1985v said:
yeah yoiru right, it says in my book manual are 600 and auto's are 400 in over drive

and yeah all cars idles are high when u first start your engine then it drops down

so all auto matics should be at 400 at idle,

so i will ask this quesiton again since us knowing this

those of u that have automatics,, what are u idling at,, on years 85 through 91

REPEAT REPEAT
You set the mimium idle at 400 rpms. You need to eliminate the ECM idle control signal/counts to do this.

550 - 700 rpms in Drive, reverse, a/c on, turning steering wheel.

same as previous post

dude

I dont' understand why u have to elimiate the ecm signal

Same reason you have to set the timing w/o the computer. You have to set the base from which the computer can play with.

If you try to set the base while the computer is adjusting, you are fighting each other.

DUH

Dude, just use that book that you have that tells you "everything you will ever need to know about a stock engine" that you were telling us about in the other thread. Or just listen to what these people are trying to tell you.

Dreswer uhave a real problem man,, get over it please,,, stop that attitude

i miss understood what u was saying at the time,,,
i understand now

and yes my book tell sme to dissconnect it. this thread isnt' even about that anyways, its about my corvette has to be idling at 400 in overdrive for my automatic

and 600 for standards

i got confused i was thinking he was trying to relate it to something else,,

Re: DUH

Drewser said:
Dude, just use that book that you have that tells you "everything you will ever need to know about a stock engine" that you were telling us about in the other thread. Or just listen to what these people are trying to tell you.

icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Re: DUH

Drewser said:

:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom