Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What do you guys think of header wrap?

JT ZR-Won

Corvette
'90 ZR-1 #3010
I bought my ZR with full length Watson headers with no cats. However, the headers are completely untreated. I know they get really hot, and I'd like to do something about it. I do have access to a lift at my buddies work. Here's what I was thinking, rather then going through the hassle of removing them to JetHot coat them, it would be a lot easier to leave them intact and just use header wrap on them. I know the header wrap works, I've known people who've used it..........would this work well?

Jay

Not much I guess:D
I voted on not doing it. I would somehow like to puul my headers off & send them to Jet Hot.......someday

Jay

Personally, I'd opt for the JetHot treatment, but I have a feeling it would be more costly than headerwrap. I guess my thinking is...if you're going to do it. Do it right. :)

Go for the Jet-Hot treatment. The headers look really cool when you get the back too. A lot better than what amounts to tape wraped around them.:)

Jason

wrapped headers

I'm sure it'd work, how do you want it to look?

If you don't care, wrap it, if you do...JetHot.

Sil

Wrap

ZR Won,

I used the wrap on my Shelby before I sent the headers to Jet Hot. The wrap does work in that it allows more heat out thru the exhaust, but I found it very irritating on my skin, and very hard to maintain (it tended to "move" and become loose). I don't remember exactly how long it was, but when I removed it, the headers were rusted and damaged. The Jet Hot guys saved the headers, but the sunmmation is I don't think the advantage of the wrap outweighs the cost.

Don't use it Jay, if you get it too contaminated with combustible fluids, guess what could happen. :eek

Thermo Tec

This stuff is very impressive in that you can chose to either wrap your headers with a tape that adheres to the header or you can use a product called Thermo-Flex exhaust jackets that can be slit for custom fit. The main benefit of this stuff over Jet Hot is that the temperatures are reduced by 70% (which equates to HP). This stuff is used in many racing applications and can withstand up to 2000 degrees (F).

You can even wrap your ehaust system. Do not (under ANY circumstances) thermal wrap the cats, or they will be fried.

It's worth checking out at

http://www.thermotec.com

Their phone number is 800-274-8437 (they are based in Ohio)

I know people that use this stuff and are very happy with the results. It will protect your engine compartment from the damaging heat (from things as hot as turbochargers).

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Brad

Ps: I wouldn't worry about combustible fluids on this stuff because it is treated. The temps rise so quickly that it would cook off immediately.

Heat is the enemy

Wile working at Dick Guldstrand's race shop, we saw many ZR-1's with headers. The biggest problems with the headers is the heat especially with the o2 sensor wires which you really need even if the cats are gutted. The wires fry and the o2s become inoperable and the computer goes full rich.

Header wrap works for a while, but I have seen complete header failure from within as the pipes get so hot that early failure takes place in the metal.

Jet Hot works very well. The new wrap by Thermotec I am not familar with. But if NASCAR and the boys are using it, there has to be some success out there.

Good luck,
Jim Gessner

What Jim said above. My experience was similar.... The metal itself was damaged.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom