Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What exhaust would you prefer?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mafiozo
  • Start date Start date
Hib Halverson said:
For the first time in my "automotive life" I can say I like the stock exhaust. The O.E. ti exhaust on the Z06 works well performance-wise, sounds really good and looks great. And, you can beat the weight savings.

If I owned a base C5 and wanted an exhaust, I'd buy a Z06 takeoff system off eBay.

hib, will a zo6 (2004) fit on a 2004 vert? will it bolt on or is welding/cutting required? thanks for your help. it appears to just be the rear section forward of the axel to tips.

borla

if you want loud,not pretend loud,get borla straight pipes!good,real good sound!and only 350 bucks new!

jimmie jam said:
hib, will a zo6 (2004) fit on a 2004 vert? will it bolt on or is welding/cutting required? thanks for your help. it appears to just be the rear section forward of the axel to tips.

It'll bolt right on.

Zo6 Tom,

Thanks From A Fellow Buckeye, Born And Raised In Warren, Oh..

J. Jam

Glenn W. said:
IMHO -- the best combination is the Corsa Indy (Pro tips), with Bassani X-pipe. Little or no popping on deceleration, completely quiet at cruise, and great WOT sound...changes from a rumble/roar to a wail near redline. Fantastic idling sound as well....exhaust pulses are completely even from side to side....no longer sounds like a motorboat like the sotck exhaust most certainly does.........

I have the same system and totally agree. It's like rock & roll at WOT......
Adding the x pipe made a great system better.

Corsa Indy for me. My friend has the same exhaust with Tiger Shark tips and recently won a contest in Italy for the loudest exhaust at a car show. His registered 134 DBs! We enjoy the popping and "motor boat" idle sound and the Corsas make plenty of extra HP.

I had B&B Stainless Steel Bullets on my car when I bought it. VERY loud and the sound inside the car was so bad you could not hear the radio or hold a conversation with even minor throttle. But it did drown out the road noise from the EMTs. :L I had to take them off and put on a stock system, which is plenty loud for me at idle and WOT.

Thought I would post a different view.

Stock exhaust.

"Loud" exhaust systems should be reserved for racetracks. Nothing ruins the peace and quiet of a neighborhood when a vehicle (m/c or car) zooms past with a loud exhaust.

exhaust for C5

I'm stuck between the Corsa Touring and the GHL Bullets for my car.Don't want something too loud or cruise drone.I don't like the GHL bulls-eye tips,but hear their sound is better.

If you go with the touring Corsa's you'll be paying a lot for a system that sounds about the same as stock.......I have the Indy version with the Pro tips, and got the Bassani X-Pipe (the best made with the best flow) at the same time. It evens out the exhaust pulses side to side and really makes the Corsa Indy's sing........it has a beautifully deep idle, there is NO resonance (and as quiet as stock unless you are acclerating)at cruising speed, but at WOT, you get what you pay for --- a beautiful mechanical howl that rises in pitch to (almost) a snarl at reline.................its perfect.............Sigh! now you've got me wishing I drove it to work today.............If you can find anyone with this system, you really should give it a listen before deciding.....

I'm getting Corsa Touring with the GTR tips as soon as I can convince my wife that I need them:L. I'm going to do the X-pipe as well. Others are louder but I'll save my ears until I get another Shark so I can go chambered again:D.

Eric said:
I'm getting Corsa Touring with the GTR tips as soon as I can convince my wife that I need them:L. I'm going to do the X-pipe as well. Others are louder but I'll save my ears until I get another Shark so I can go chambered again:D.

eric,

let me know when you're ready...i'd be happy to help. it'd be fun to do another exhaust on a vette.:beer i'm also curious about the x-pipe. which one are you considering?

tom

Well my C5 is a little over a year old now so I figure it's time to do something. I'm putting it in tomorrow for the Corsa Indy Mod. I can't wait to get it back. I've heard how they sound going away but have never been inside one with WOT. :drool: Yes, I'm getting excited about it.

sigshooter said:
eric,

let me know when you're ready...i'd be happy to help. it'd be fun to do another exhaust on a vette.:beer i'm also curious about the x-pipe. which one are you considering?

tom
Either bassani or corsa. Still not decided.
And I may just take you up on that offer.
- Eric

Take a close look at the "X" portion of both the Corsa and the Bassani....the Bassani, IMHO has better flow and results in better scavenging because of the angle and the smoothness of that section.

Glenn W. said:
If you go with the touring Corsa's you'll be paying a lot for a system that sounds about the same as stock.......I have the Indy version with the Pro tips, and got the Bassani X-Pipe (the best made with the best flow) at the same time. It evens out the exhaust pulses side to side and really makes the Corsa Indy's sing........it has a beautifully deep idle, there is NO resonance (and as quiet as stock unless you are acclerating)at cruising speed, but at WOT, you get what you pay for --- a beautiful mechanical howl that rises in pitch to (almost) a snarl at reline.................its perfect.............Sigh! now you've got me wishing I drove it to work today.............If you can find anyone with this system, you really should give it a listen before deciding.....

Glenn, When you installed the Bassani X pipe, did you have to cut anything? Why did you not get the Corsa X pipe...just curious. I think I would like to do away with some of the exhaust pop on deceleration. Did the Bassani pipe do that for you? I have the Indy Corsas and concur fully with your explanation of the sound. I like the "motor boat" idle of the Corsas and wish I could continue to have that but lessen the popping.

Wyodude

Wyodude said:
Glenn, When you installed the Bassani X pipe, did you have to cut anything? Why did you not get the Corsa X pipe...just curious. I think I would like to do away with some of the exhaust pop on deceleration. Did the Bassani pipe do that for you? I have the Indy Corsas and concur fully with your explanation of the sound. I like the "motor boat" idle of the Corsas and wish I could continue to have that but lessen the popping.

Wyodude

Yes, the Bassani x-pipe will get rid of the popping noise on decelleration....only a VERY muted and occasional burble makes it through, and only happens about 1800 RPM and then goes away again. I went with the Bassani because the "X" section looked better made to me, larger and with smoother flow. I just thought that this would give me better scavenging from side to side ( a benefit of the x pipes). I really like the resulting exhaust note....very smooth and deep and even from side-to-side..........everything bolted right up and the Bassani's came with all of the hardware needed....no cutting needed to bolt on front or back...........

Glenn W. said:
..........everything bolted right up and the Bassani's came with all of the hardware needed....no cutting needed to bolt on front or back...........

glen,

i'm a little confused. i just ran out to the garage and looked under my car. i have an H pipe from my corsas all the way up to the downpipes from the exhaust manifold. the H pipe includes the cats.

am i right in thinking this is all one piece and would have to be cut before the cats to incorporate an x-pipe (unless you buy an x-pipe that includes cats)? please explain.

thanks,

tom

Well, in all honesty, I had a muffler shop install all of it. I don't know if they cut anything or not, but I did ask them how everything fit together and they said that everything was the perfect length etc, and that all went together very quickly..........sorry I don't know the exact answer to this, but if you called a couple of local muffler shops that have any experience with Vettes, I bet they could tell you.......have you looked at the Bassani X-pipe on one of the sites that has it for sale? Seems to me there were flanges at both ends......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom