Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What gas brand is favored for Vettes?

justafamilyman said:
Hi To All,
Here in NYS, the eco-fascists have banned Sunoco 94. That was my 1st favorite. I now use Sunoco-93. It was recommended by the dealer. I noticed the gas guage problem with Mobil-93. I have not had thet problem with Hess-93 nor Citgo-93. So I use , in this order, Sunoco, Hess, Citgo,...,...,...,...,...,...,..., Mobil.
Yes I miss Sunoco 94. The stations that we have here in Rochester are Sunoco, Mobile, Hess and Citco too. We used to have Shell, BP and Arco but they are here no more.

I just called an arco station in wa. state and they said they don't have TOPTIER, however thiers a thread here that sez it does, whats up with that????:ugh

I've been using Shell religiously since '07 in my vehicles, until 2 months ago. My 1994 and 2000 Cadillac Deville's said 91% octane only. But when I'd use the higher octane, the mileage would drop from 25-27 on the highway to 21, in town would drop from 19 to 15, they would ping, knock, smoke, no power, not like to start, idle rough. So, I used the 87% with no problems, and the mileage went back up to where it usually was.

I stayed with Shell when I got my C5. Same problems when using the 91 and 93%, no power, mileage fell to low 20's on the highway (down from 29mpg), idled rough, knocked, pinged, etc...so...back to the 87%

My '04 Suburban. Mileage for the 2 years that I've owned it has been consistantly 13.8 on the highway and in town. I started using the local Kum & Go (like the 7-11's) for the last 3 fills, and the mileage instantly jumped to 16, and hasn't dropped.

Bottom line, I'm not, and have never been impressed with the 91%+ fuels for any vehicle. My '69 Charger wouldn't run on it either, and I won't be convinced otherwise. I will start using Kum & Go 87% in the Vette too. 91 and 93% just costs more at the pump, have less performance and reliability, and gives you a higher cost of operation. I'm not playing that game. I've been brand loyal for years with a lot of things and have come to realize that it just plain doesn't matter.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Maybe cause this thread is 9 1/2 years old??

"I just called an arco station in wa. state and they said they don't have TOPTIER, however thiers a thread here that sez it does, whats up with that????
ugh.gif
"

If you're referring to the post on page 1 that mentions the 'top tier' by GM etc, I think what that means is that it's at the top level, as in it's the 'best' category of the 'good, better, best' rating system, and not a brand or grade, ie Shell V-Power, or like Amoco's Gold, Silver, and the other 'grade' they had.

Just my perspective since the mention of 'top tier' on page 1 wasn't capitalized. That's how I understood it.

Last edited:
Maybe cause this thread is 9 1/2 years old??

"I just called an arco station in wa. state and they said they don't have TOPTIER, however thiers a thread here that sez it does, whats up with that????:ugh"

The reason these old threads keep popping up is the "Similar Threads" at the bottom. Folks click the link then answer because the thread is interesting, never noticing how old the thread is. ;)

Same as the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline website ( Top Tier Gasoline ) Arco's website ( TOP TIER® Quality Gas - ARCO ) states Arco is top tier gasoline.

One of the requirements of Top Tier gasoline is:
"Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent."
http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

"The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than "pure" gasoline, although this varies depending on the amount of denaturant that is added to the ethanol. Thus, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by up to 3.3% when using E10."
How much ethanol is in gasoline and how does it affect fuel economy? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

I use Phillips 66, 92 or 93 Octane (depending on where you get it), no ethanol! They are wasting a great ingredient for moonshine on motor fuel.

Gas

Just as Mobil 1 is the preferred oil for C5s, I'm wondering if there is a frontrunner in gas brands among owners. I will only use the highest octane regardless, but is there a detergent (or otherwise beneficial) gasoline that keeps the engine at peak performance? Mobil-Shell-bp-Speedway-Clark-other?

Stay with a Top Tier gas company and use the owner's manual recommended octane for your car. that gives you a wide range of brand choices.

Top Tier Gasoline

Be well and enjoy your ride.
Bill

Was using chevron but just seen BP ARCO has just introduced Top Tier 92 octane premium in the area so that's what Ive been using and haven't noticed any changes in performance $3.67 at most stations:)

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom