Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What has been tempting you?

Brangeta

What car have you been tempted to buy recently? Has an old Callaway or other car gone up for sale that has made you go "well... I didn't know I wanted it, but now I'm thinking I've gotta have it!" or has a new car caught your eye and made your money burn a hole in your pocket?

Now, while I'm tempted to buy this car, I don't have the means to back it up. But... this beauty has caused a change in my mind, and reserved a special place in my 'dream' stable of cars for a prancing horse. This is a fully American 308 GTS I found for $20,000.
40347DSC00253.JPG

40347DSC00246.JPG

It's not 100% my dream 308, but it was enough to tempt me.

After I get my C8, I think an early carburetted 308 GTB, with deep front spoiler, european black rubber bumpers (smaller than american), single exit exhaust, in this Azzuro color may be on my wishlist. I have a neighbor 3 blocks away with just that... a daily driven one that needs a lot of work. If it were put up for sale before I buy my C8... I'd have a tough decision! :upthumbs

(this pic's a year old, the car has since been backed into a pole and the deep spoiler on the front has been heavily damaged).
n18800375_30823721_9075.jpg

What car has been tempting you lately? Is it a specific one (if so post a pic if you can) or is it just one in general?

:chuckle I would love to answer your post but I think I have said enough already for the time being.

For me this subject is to be continued.... :D

-Luigi
:cool

P.S. There sure are some nice Callaway on the auction block

CAR-01.JPG

991d_12.JPG

bc11_12.JPG

1808031_1_400.jpg

1212_1.JPG

Brangeta, I have been telling my brother, who happened to buy a Ferrari a few years ago, watch out for the mainenance costs - NOT the initial purchase price :eek:hnoes

One of the main reasons I think I never bought an Italian "exotic" is due to the high costs associated with ownership, AFTER the sale.

One of the major benchmarks the Callaway cars have set, is their ability to provide reliable, compliant power, and not cost you an arm and a leg to own :cool

Granted, the F-cars and some of the Lambos are stellar to view - I would just be scared of the bill for belts, plugs, and other adjustments :W

VERY true Chris, the cost of maintaining a Ferrari, even an old 250 horsepower one is incredible. That's why I am interested in my neighbor's car. His is daily driven, and a piece of crap in a way. I'd love to make the car into a "kit" car... Take all the ridiculously expensive Ferrari equipment out and put an LS1 inside. An LS1 may not have a 7800 RPM redline, but it sure as heck doesn't cost $3000 for a spark plug change and heater hose + coolant change like the Ferrari V8. It'd make the Ferrari elite cringe, but I'd be happy with it.

I've always liked the idea of owning a Ferrari ever since I started collecting Ferrari Hot Wheels as a little kid, but the real cars are very cost prohibitive. Ferrari kit cars made from Fieros, MR2s, and late 80s Firebirds just don't do anything for me either. They are a hobgoblin of somewhat Ferrari looking designs with terrible proportions. Seems to me, the best idea is to take a very worn out Ferrari 308, run it the way it is until it dies, remove the engine and tranny, sell it the engine and tranny on ebay, use the money to buy an LS1 + T56, and transplant it. It's probably more complicated than just that, but even putting a small Toyota engine in one would do for me... I just want a great looking cruiser. No bragging rights, no chick magnet, no race car, just a cool car I'm happy with. :beer

With 1 euro being 1.30 dollars these days I'm very tempted to get a nice 91 Callaway Aero with a price around $40k. But my body off 81 will be finished next year with a total restoration cost around 40k euro's. Who wants to do the math.. :ugh

Groeten Peter

It's nice to see Callaway owners sharing their appreciation for other sports cars other than Corvettes, and it's a shame that some still can't nix the Callaway tunnel vision.

For the record, if you can't appreciate other sports cars and you don't want to see discussions in this forum about other sports cars, or you only want to discuss nothing else but Callaway Corvettes, then you have a choice: start your own Callaway forum and run it as you see fit, or find another forum to participate in.

I have always operated these forums with a higher degree of tolerance than most others, and I encourage members to discuss other cars that interest them along with Corvettes.

If you find that unacceptable, please do not threaten me or the rest of the Administration with leaving and never coming back here.

I love Corvettes and I'm passionate about other types of sports cars as well, and I will continue to run these forums to reflect that.

Remember one thing: it's not just the cars, it's the people and the camaraderie.

Now, while I'm tempted to buy this car, I don't have the means to back it up. But... this beauty has caused a change in my mind, and reserved a special place in my 'dream' stable of cars for a prancing horse. This is a fully American 308 GTS I found for $20,000.

If it were put up for sale before I buy my C8... I'd have a tough decision! :upthumbs

VERY true Chris, the cost of maintaining a Ferrari, even an old 250 horsepower one is incredible. That's why I am interested in my neighbor's car. His is daily driven, and a piece of crap in a way. I'd love to make the car into a "kit" car... Take all the ridiculously expensive Ferrari equipment out and put an LS1 inside. An LS1 may not have a 7800 RPM redline, but it sure as heck doesn't cost $3000 for a spark plug change and heater hose + coolant change like the Ferrari V8. It'd make the Ferrari elite cringe, but I'd be happy with it. :beer

Brangeta, I know you are very enthusiastic about the Ferrari here, or so it seems... Here is an observation and I hope this helps :cool

Let's say you buy the Ferrari for $20k and then add the LS1. I can't see a complete LS1 going for less than $3k. Then you need wiring ($1k) and exhaust ($2k). Labor on a project like this, is probably nothing short of a heart-attack :W Let's say it is 50% of your parts, for another $3k. You now have Ferrari/Vette Hybrid for close to $30 grand, probably more.

Now, your ultimate dream car is a Callaway C8, right??

Buy a used LS1 Camaro for about $10k, add the AeroBody for another $8k, painted and installed. Then a SNAT 6.2L for another $14k.

For about $32k, you can have your dream car a reality.

Although, for $26k, you can get into the game NOW, no waiting: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...83QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6168QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rob - Well said and thanks for the support.

-Luigi
:cool

Let's see; that Challenge Corvette on Ebay was very tempting. I love Ferraris too. I think that most of us here on the CAC or almost every other site I belong to have a wide interest in the hobby. I belong to several street rod and truck forums and a couple Ferrari forums among others. The cars that temp me can just as easily not be a Corvette. I'd also like to do an LS1 or 2 in a 308 just for the fun of having a Ferrari that has affordable maintenance.

Tom

Brangeta... I'd have to agree with Chris' "voice of reason" ;) on the comparison. He makes a good point.

BUT.....

Although I have wanted a Corvette since I was given my first model Midyear - a dealer's promo - at the age of ten, I really wanted a Magnum PI Ferrari big time for awhile! :L

Thank goodness I came back to my senses. :D

And - well said Rob.

:wJane Ann

You make a good point Chris, but the C8 is definitely on the top of my priority list at the moment as far as cars go. ;) No worries there.

The Ferrari is just a silly little dream...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom