Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what is it

lt4boy

Corvette
1996 Polo Green Metellic green LT4
i have owned a 96 Corvette for 2 yrs knowin it wsa a LT4 and proudly telling it. But lately i look at the engine compartment and its weird. The VIN is LT4 matching, it has a manual, the tach is the lt4 varitey. but the engine doesnt have the red intake, Grand sport saying TB plate and the valve covers dont look like the ones i see in pic. i still beleive it is a Lt4 but it just puzzles me and id like some resolution to it. no matter what its a awesome car no matter 1 or 4 i just would like resolution

The LT4 has a visible “LT4” stamp on the passenger side head. You can see it if you remove your oil fill cap and peer into the oil fill hole. It should be within sight with the cap removed (you may need a flashlight to spot it).

With the oil fill cap removed, you should see the LT4s roller rockers. This does not explain your other non-matching pieces. At least you can check the one head easily. It may be that a previous owner had the car massaged/aftermarket work done.

Your throttle body (TB) may have been swapped out for a larger one, or, the previous owner may have added a different top cosmetic TB plate. I would look over the TB and compare it against a stock LT4 one.

If you still have the OEM exhaust:
Another LT4 only indicator is the exhaust. It’s different from the LT1 in that the LT4 has a cross over/balance tube. You can spot it if you lay underneath the car, it’s just ahead of the spare tire (or aluminium box section if you have a spare tire delete car) and just slightly ahead of the differential.

All LT4s were outfitted with the ZF six-speed.

All LT4s came with red spark plug wires.

If it’s an LT4 your 1/4 mile times will be in the low 13’s.

Hope this is of some help, others will chime in.

Hey, you’ve got Polo Green too!

B17Crew
:w

Yea, look inside the oil fill hole w/ a flashlight. you will see LT4. Do you have any pics. It does sound alittle strange. Does your VIN have a 5 in the eighth spot? Guy

Post up a picture and we might be able to shed more light on your problem.

Larry

I forgot another thing to look for.

LT4s do not have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.

LT1s do have a EGR valve.

B17Crew
:w

Deja Vu? Didn't a thread almost exactly like this pop up a few months ago? I seem to recall the same type of answers and questions, except the person was also questioning the color of his car (as it was purple or something instead of blue. Maybe the topic was a 96 GS... hmmmm. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack or troll this thread. It just got my brain gears churning.)

Evolution1980 said:
Deja Vu? Didn't a thread almost exactly like this pop up a few months ago? I seem to recall the same type of answers and questions, except the person was also questioning the color of his car (as it was purple or something instead of blue. Maybe the topic was a 96 GS... hmmmm. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack or troll this thread. It just got my brain gears churning.)

I don't remember the previous thread, but they did make a very small number of purple LT4's in '96. They're pretty rare.

Evolution1980 said:

Here is that thread: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13182

little bit different though, it was an automatic car that was 'supposed' to be a '96 LT4...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom