Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is the floor board made of ?

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
Curious as to what the floorboard of my 85 is made of ? I want to mount a bracket to my exhaust to lift if up and was thinking of bolting it up but not sure if it could handle the bolting.

Curious as to what the floorboard of my 85 is made of ? I want to mount a bracket to my exhaust to lift if up and was thinking of bolting it up but not sure if it could handle the bolting.

I would argue against bolting to the floor. All you will accomplish is transfering heat and creating a hole to develop rust.
- The bigger issue is "why is it sagging?"... fix the root cause and the problem will be gone for good!

:w

I believe the sagging is due to there is nuthin to support the exhaust between the manifold and where the muffler bolts to the frame. The muffler is connected using the standard U clamps. Maybe I should get them welded.

I believe the sagging is due to there is nuthin to support the exhaust between the manifold and where the muffler bolts to the frame. The muffler is connected using the standard U clamps. Maybe I should get them welded.

Find out where the stock mounts (all of 'em) on an '85 were and return your car to that configuration. Problem will go away.

There was one clip in front of the Cat and another midway between the Transmission and third member.

I can guarantee you that it is made of fiberglass. Have th exhuast welded or re align and tighten the u-bolts.

Funny thing I jacked up the car and could not find any place for bolts or where the brackets/clamps would mount to the bottom of the car. Even they show them in the shop manual.

Funny thing I jacked up the car and could not find any place for bolts or where the brackets/clamps would mount to the bottom of the car. Even they show them in the shop manual.

On 85's there is an odd looking, C4 specific hangar located right in front of the cat, just behind where your y pipes meet. It holds the pipes up tight to the cars' tunnel here.

It holds the bulk of the exhausts weight to the trans/beam with a large "L" shaped bracket which is isolated in rubber.

Just noticed you're 4+3, I'm automatic, don't know if there will be any differences.

Ok Tomorrow I will jack it up again and take another look.

thanx
Gordon

The front part of the floorboard is fiberglass, from about the seat mount back is aluminum. I would still sugest against mounting the exhaust to the floorboard. There should be hangers located near the front drive shaft U-joint, a strap hanger along the C-beam near the diff, a pair at the strut rods, then the clip hangers just past the mufflers near the rear facia.

:w

:pat

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom