Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is this

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
ok now that my 85 is running again, I noticed oil coming out of a hose that goes into where the oil filter is. I can't find this anywhere in the shop manual, there are 2 hoses there and I plan on replacing them both, but was just wondering what they were for.

ok now that my 85 is running again, I noticed oil coming out of a hose that goes into where the oil filter is. I can't find this anywhere in the shop manual, there are 2 hoses there and I plan on replacing them both, but was just wondering what they were for.
Dose it have a Oil Cooler??? If so that would be my guess!!:upthumbs

Not sure, but if it does are those hoses special or can I just replace with heater hose or what ???

Not sure, but if it does are those hoses special or can I just replace with heater hose or what ???
No there Special Oil Lines!!:upthumbs

GM used engine coolant on some of their engines to cool the oil it is a pancake cooler that goes in between the filter and the block check to be sure it is tight.
the threaded area that the oil filter goes on has threads on both ends and holds the cooler to the block.
oil.JPG

if this is the type of cooler you have they are engine coolant lines and heater hose will be OK if you have lines that run into a seperate cooler you will need oil lines; trace the lines and see where they go.

You got me Boss,I forgot some have that Type!!!:D

OK that looks like what I have, so is there special hoses that I need to replace or just sumthin generic ? Its amazing that the shop manual doesn't even discuss this part. Sorry didn't see the bottom text on the picture. but I just went outside and it sure looks like oil on the driveway not antifreeze, but its dark now so I'll check it out tomorrow and let you guys know what I find out. Thanx for all the help

If it is the type that bossvette showed than if you have an oil leak it is not the lines. Those are coolant lines. As he said make sure it is tight. If you have coolant leak it should be the hoses. The only thing with those hoses , they may be formed and could be fun to replace.
On my 90 there are metal lines with formed hoses on each end.

Glenn
:w

like Glen said if it is oil leaking it is not the hoses. remove the filter then remove cooler and clean the mating surfaces to the block, check for damage on the seals then lube it with your lube of choice and reassemble.

in the picture I posted the hex on the threaded adapter will loosen the cooler, there should be enough play in the lines to clean and reassemble.

Thanx to Bossvette, It was oil the nut that you show in the picture was loose, so I dropped it anyway and checked it out, all ok. tightened it up, new filter, new oil and no more leak. and my hoses are not formed fitted just clamped on at each end. and thanx to all the guys that have replied to my many threads, its amazing the vast knowledge that is on this website.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom