Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What kinda mileage do C5s get?

Hey Stallion, I don't normally keep track of the gas mileage. Doubt many of the C5 owners do.

However, I've been to Carlisle twice now. I kept track of my mileage both times. My average per the DIC (dash computer) was 28.9 and 29.2 mpg. This was my total all around trip. Both highway cruising averaging 80-85 mph and the countryside runs to and from the fairgrounds and hotel.

It's not so much that you save a few dollars at the gas station, but rather you can go long distances between fill-ups :)

Brett

Yesterday on a trip from CT to NH and back I got (according to the optimistic little on-board computer) in the high 29s going up and the mid to high 28s coming back. Tailwind up and headwind back, who knows? Can't be downhill from CT to NH. Anyway, them's the numbers.

Overall the last 1100 miles (calculated from odometer and fillup tickets) 18.5 mostly around town, not much highway.

Hope this helps.
RCG

Around 30 on the highway in sixth gear probably is about right.

I like to hammer the throttle a lot so my D.I.C. says its running around 14 to 15mpg average over the life of the car so far.

JBsC5 said:
I like to hammer the throttle a lot so my D.I.C. says its running around 14 to 15mpg average over the life of the car so far.
I believe that the DIC displays mileage over the last 20 gallons or so. I will need to look at the owners manual.

What exactly is this DIC? Does it just show you information?

Driver infomation Center . . .

the display is right above the steering colum and can pretty much tell you everything you need to/want to know about your car at that point in time (tire preasure, gas milage(instant), settings, coolant temp, etc)

EDIT: its the part that says "CORVETTE" in the picture

corvettecrazy-chevrolet-corvette

That's crazy!!! :eek Hmmm...I guess that wasn't an option in '78. ;) :D

get better mileage above 65 than below (VBG) - average about 29 on the highway and around 18 in city with my 2001 Z06

Last year doing a round trip from Maine to Dayton Ohio (960 miles each way), I averaged 27-28 MPG with my C-5 Automatic, this was done by calculator and fuel reciepts, and not the DIC, the DIC was real close though.

Cheers
Beer

I drive 33 miles to work and back each way. Some highway (or back roads - depending on which way I take) and some stop and go city driving. All of it is pretty hilly too. My average is 21 mpg according to the DIC as well as my fillups. I have an 01 vert with the A4 and 2.73s. I average around 65mph when I'm moving, but have been known to cross the century mark a time or two on the way to work or home most days (especailly when I take the back road way :D )

Considering some of the steep hils I have to go up (the last 5 miles to my house is a 1000 foot elevation gain) and the way I drive the car (seems I have to get on it 2 or 3 times each way to make it past some construction vehicle - I'm really happy with the milage. My wife's Solara only gets about 25 mpg on the same drive - and she's only got a 3.3 v6.

Why would the DIC be so off? Maybe it's calculating the overall time of the engine. Not so much "turning" miles. Maybe??

I just got back from Bowling Green, KY on Sunday & I averaged 26.2 mpg. That was with cruising between 85 90mph with a few triple digit runs thrown in.

My DIC indicated 35 mpg the last time I checked it. I was doing between 60-70 highway in 6th gear consistantly. Combined mileage indicates 23 mpg.

I've got an '03 vert. I only average 18 mpg tops. I guess thats what happens with 3.42 gears, a six speed, and one heavy heavy foot.

Mid to high teens, low 20's around town (godawful Atlanta traffic), depending on how I drive it. Mid to high 20's on the highway.

Heidi and I had fun on one of the mountain cruises watching the instant mileage on the DIC. I would let off the gas and coast; it would go to about 60 mpg. Then I would downshift and nail it, and it dropped to 3 mpg :D

Tammy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom