Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What oil do you guy's prefer?

Hmmm...I questioned that, so I did so looking around. I don't know if the info you refer to is just for US imports or worldwide...

SHELL HELIX Ultra 5W40 - Factory fill by Ferrari
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, the factory recommended oil.

...and here's what could be a very good link about motor oils... Bob Is The Oil Guy

"What happens when Quaker State® engineers align with Shell Racing Solutions' 80+ years of fuel and lubricant technology? Winning can become a little easier…thanks to Q Racing™ Oils - products blended specifically for your racing needs.
1.gif
1.gif

1.gif
1.gif
lubricants_products.jpg
Since 1931, Quaker State® has been a leading motor oil innovator, both on the track and on the road. In 2002, Quaker State® joined forces with Shell, drawing upon Shell’s 80+ years of global motorsports research and development, most recently through our relationship with the Ferrari Formula One team.

Together, we bring professional and aspiring racers the latest in fuel, lubricant and analysis technology…helping teams achieve the performance enhancements needed to win.

At Shell, we understand that some racers still think “oil is oil.” Lubricant technology has advanced significantly in recent years, so the motor oil that Dad used isn’t even close to what is available today…especially on the track.

Our global facilities and scientists allow us to work diligently to develop new lubricant technologies for specific racing applications. Our products aren’t street oils that have been slightly tweaked; we develop our oils with racing performance and protection in mind."

Well, looks like Shell syn in the rest of the world and the new Q here in North America are, essentially, interchangable - by Shell's own admission. Like GM's Mobil recommendation, it's all about cross marketing and money, and Ferarri of North America recommends Q and stocks it in the dealerships (I checked the local dealer). The rest of the continents get Shell syn. I can just see the Italians in Modena separating new cars by continent to determine which oil to put in the crankcase.;LOL Pretty funny when you think about it, and it has nothing to do with oil.

Well, looks like Shell syn in the rest of the world and the new Q here in North America are, essentially, interchangable - by Shell's own admission. Like GM's Mobil recommendation, it's all about cross marketing and money, and Ferarri of North America recommends Q and stocks it in the dealerships (I checked the local dealer). The rest of the continents get Shell syn. I can just see the Italians in Modena separating news cars by continent to determine which oil to put in the crankcase.;LOL Pretty funny when you think about it, and it has nothing to do with oil.
Yeah, I just didn't believe that the Stallions would be putting in some Yankee Oil in their factory cars.
BUT!!!!...call it "Shell Whatever", and that has better name recognition or at least something that's more globally recognized and not as yankee sounding. :L

I recall a few years ago my mechanic made a comment about Quaker State, or maybe it was Castrol. Yeah, I think it was Castrol. He said in his old, gruff mechanic's voice, "I wouldn't even use that shiat to lube the hinges of my bathroom door!" ;LOL

From the Q website

What is Q®’s link with the Ferrari Formula 1 Racing Team? Answer:
Q® is the only North American motor oil approved by Ferrari for service fill. Shell, Quaker State®'s parent company, began developing lubricants to power Ferrari's F1 engine in the 1950s. Over the years, we have developed expertise and knowledge in matching the correct motor oil to every new engine design and technical development made by Ferrari. This ability is well recognized as being an essential element of their winning team. The Ferrari relationship reiterates our commitment to bringing technologically advanced motor oils to our customers.

You guys should read the consternation on the Ferrari chat sites about the Quaker State thing. It's a lot like what would happen if GM started recommending Wallyworld synthetic for the Vette. Since QState outsells Shell motor oil in the US by a huge margin, it's probably understandable that Shell would push the more widely available and popular brand, all things equal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom