Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What tires are you running and why?

What tire are you running?

• Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Votes: 34 21.1%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • BF Goodrich gForce KDW-2

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Pirelli PZero Rosso

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yokohama ADVAN Sport

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Kumho Ecsta MX

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nitto 555RII

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Other Tire

Votes: 31 19.3%
  • Other Racing Tire

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
Had to find tires fast to pass inspection this past spring for 02-Z06. Dealer wanted $1400 for a set of Supercars. Found an online coupon for Firestone that quoted me $850 (including my tip) for a set of Firehawk Wide Ovals. No problems whatsoever after 3K. Cant beat the price.

Had to find tires fast to pass inspection this past spring for 02-Z06. Dealer wanted $1400 for a set of Supercars. Found an online coupon for Firestone that quoted me $850 (including my tip) for a set of Firehawk Wide Ovals. No problems whatsoever after 3K. Cant beat the price.

Liquid,

Where did you find the Firestone coupon and how much of a discount was it?

I need tires now!

Thanks

RVN:

My story may not be of much use to you 6 months after the fact, but it is below. What I can offer is that after a set of the SuperCars which were on the car when I purchased it (I used them the last 10k miles until worn), I am very happy with the Wide Ovals that have been on all this season...

My car failed inspection for tires on a Sat morning. I just started searching local tires stores here in PA, CJs, JustTires etc.. (this is back in May-08). Went to Firestone website (Bridgetstone.com) and searched for my tire size after checking tirerack.com for reviews. My biggest problem was I needed a store that had 265s and 295s in stock and didn't cost $1400. Anyway, the Natl website provided a quote for my tires that was something like $820 for the Wide Ovals. It told me to print it out and bring it to the store. I started calling the local stores to see if anyone had them in stock. Turned out all my local stores said they could get them in 24 hours, one finally told me from where, turned out was another store about 25 miles away that had them. I called them, they confirmed they had a set of 4 in stock and gave me a quote that was different from what I had printed out from the Natl website, something like $200 more, so over a grand total. They said as long as I had the quote they would honor it. 4 hours later I had tires on my car and they had a nice tip. I could not get the website to re-display that quote after the initial quote that I had printed, (when the store quoted me higher I checked twice more) thankfully I had my printout in hand. I don't know if the printout was a computer fluke, but it was absolutely legit and they stood by it.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you find and where and how happy you are with them after a few miles.

Since you had asked me the question I went back to the website tonight to do another search to see if I forgot something important. Anyway, the site won't show my size tires any longer for the fronts, and only Potenzas for the back.

Thanks for the quick response. You got a deal!

I put Kumho Ecsta ASX 275/40 17s up front for now. Cost $348 @ Discount Tire. I'm planning to buy a pair of non-matching rear Kumho Ecsta MX 295/35 18s on the rear in the near future.

I put the PS2s on my ragtop last spring on repop Z06 rims. The ride difference alone is worth the $$$. The superior traction and the decreased noise are just the icing on the popcicle.

The car came with Kumho ASX's when I bought it and worked well for all weather conditions - sun, rain, moon light, and snow. I bought new rear tires in June and front tires last week. For some strange reason, I got 30K miles on the rear and 50K miles on the front with Kumho ASX's... The only issue with these is they get loud when the tread gets down to the wear bars.

The car came with Kumho ASX's when I bought it and worked well for all weather conditions - sun, rain, moon light, and snow. I bought new rear tires in June and front tires last week. For some strange reason, I got 30K miles on the rear and 50K miles on the front with Kumho ASX's... The only issue with these is they get loud when the tread gets down to the wear bars.
I've got 40,000 plus on all 4 of my ASX's there still purdy quiet compared to the Goodyear'sI took off!!Put a new set of GoodYear EMT's on it and drive 1000 miles,and then tell me how noisy the worn out Kumho's are!!!:L:L:L

:thumb :D:D:D

Toyo r888's on the back, Proxes on the front. Swithching back tires to Mickey Thomspson's ET streets. Not enough hook on the r888's since adding an A&A Vortech. We'll see if the MT's can launch.

And The Winner Is.......

PS2's

nobody ever complains about them on any site.. they ARE the best.

Well now that we've been informed on which tire is the "best", I guess we might as well shut down this thread.
Remo:cool

I just replaced my Toyo T-1's on my '03 Z06 with Firestone Wide Ovals. The Toyo's were great, especially in the wet--and I expect the Wide Ovals to be just as good. Both tires are great bang for the buck. I initially went with the Toyo's about 3 years ago when the Wideovals were just coming out--having been burned by the infamous Firestone 500 fiasco of the mid 70's. So far I really like the tires--very quiet.:)

I removed the GY F1 SCs after they got too hard and just spun under power. Fun sometimes but very dangerous at any speed.
The GY GS D3 is stickier, in my opinion, than the SCs and works much much better in the wet.
I also like the wild tread pattern.

I am currently on my 2nd set of F1 Supercars. The second set came with a set of wheels that I bought. My car came with chrome Z wheels I did not like. I picked up a set of stock Z wheels at corvette expo that had F1 Supercars on them. When the first set of supercars wore out, I just put my "new" stock wheels on there and have been running them.

I think my next set may be Vredstiens or however you spell it.

Im on my second set of Kumhos and I think they are great tires for the money. I noticed in the polling that they arent that popular but everyone has their own taste, which is understandable. E verybody that I know who has them are happy with them. I also believe they are rated pretty high. :thumb

Im on my second set of Kumhos and I think they are great tires for the money. I noticed in the polling that they arent that popular but everyone has their own taste, which is understandable. E verybody that I know who has them are happy with them. I also believe they are rated pretty high. :thumb

Looked at many different tires to run autocross without going to a R-rated tire. I wanted a duel purpose tire (street and autocross) and for the price found the Kumho MXs to be a good compromise. Not perfect and always behind R-rated equiped vettes but as good if not better than the more expensive GY GS-D3s (which I wore out a set of).

I am using Toyo Proxes T1R's, on Z06 wheels, on a convertible. There are great tires for the money. Good wet and dry and very similar to the GY GSD3 (maybe even better).

CG

Running the GY eagle f1 gs-d3's cause they came on the car when I bought it. They are near brand new. They are the Stock vette size's but still seam to hold up under the torque well. Once I track it a few times and burn through them I will upgrade to the same brand but the right sizes.

I've got the Firestone Wide Ovals on mine. They came with the car.

Running the GY eagle f1 gs-d3's cause they came on the car when I bought it. They are near brand new. They are the Stock vette size's but still seam to hold up under the torque well. Once I track it a few times and burn through them I will upgrade to the same brand but the right sizes.
You mention that you have the "stock" size tire now. What size are you referring to?

My 2001 Z06 wheels require 265/40/17 front and 295/35/18 rear.

CG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom