Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What tires are you running and why?

What tire are you running?

• Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Votes: 34 21.1%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • BF Goodrich gForce KDW-2

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Pirelli PZero Rosso

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yokohama ADVAN Sport

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Kumho Ecsta MX

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nitto 555RII

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Other Tire

Votes: 31 19.3%
  • Other Racing Tire

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
Along the same line of what kind of tires, I am curious about the 2001 coupe I just bought. It has Michelin Pilot Sports on it with about 14,000 miles on them. How many miles can I expect to get out of them?

silver1

I've got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on mine. The tires came with the car, so I can't offer a comparison comments, but I have no complaints about them either.
:) same for me

Are there decent all-season tires out there in Z06 sizes? I bought my non-Z06 car with Z06 wheels but standard sized tires. Looks dopey and might be a safety issue. But, it's a year-round DD so I need ASRs. Any thoughts?

You mention that you have the "stock" size tire now. What size are you referring to?

My 2001 Z06 wheels require 265/40/17 front and 295/35/18 rear.

CG

I mean stock(base) corvette tires. 245/45 front 275/40 rear.

they don't look unnatural. I almost didn't notice cause the tred was new. I got home and noticed that upclose the front bowed barely.. checked the size and WOW I have brand-new base corvette tires.

I don't care cause the car is going to get tracked a few times when I get home summer 2010. Those $900 wonders won't last long. :)\

Are there decent all-season tires out there in Z06 sizes? I bought my non-Z06 car with Z06 wheels but standard sized tires. Looks dopey and might be a safety issue. But, it's a year-round DD so I need ASRs. Any thoughts?

the GY eagles I am running are a great wet/dry(as great as you can get for the money) but all season gets hairy for this size a tire. I have done research into a great rated all-season on www.tirerack.com
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...YR8ECDWS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Continental Extreme Contact DWS
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...VR8PA2N1&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 also rated well, although more expensive.

reviews are good except for dry handling aren't as sharp as a summer tire(but you should expect that buying an all-season)

BFG 315 DR on stock 18" Z06 wheels. the just barely stick out, or slightly bulge wider than stock. Have got 1.531 60'ers with stock motor and spray on these.
Robert
206325179.jpg

viewgallery.php

Running Nitto RII's in 275/40-17 and 305/35-18. A great dry, hot weather tire and perfect for the desert where I live. Ok in the rain (made a couple of 4200 mile roundtrips to Bowling Green, Ky) but dangerous if there is standing water on the road. These are 100 rated tires and I get about 8k on the rears and 10-12k on the front, but the grip is incredible compared to the stock Goodyear F1's that came with the car. It feels like it is on rails through the turns.

I've got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on mine. The tires came with the car, so I can't offer a comparison comments, but I have no complaints about them either.

same here. So far so good. I plan to buy a new set when I need tires b/c the price is right and they've been a good tire (and that is an opinion based on a semi-worn set) and a new set should be fantastic.

Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's. Do a search on them and tire comparison tests. They embarrass tires costing more than twice as much. Superb wet and dry traction. quiet, very predictable at the limits of adhesion. They blow the doors off the bfg kdw's, kumho's, pirellis and eagle F1 run flats...which I have all tried. These are simply better in every category and anyone looking for a fantastic tire at a great price should not overlook these.

Hankook Ventus v12 Evo's. Do a search on them and tire comparison tests. They embarrass tires costing more than twice as much. Superb wet and dry traction. quiet, very predictable at the limits of adhesion. They blow the doors off the bfg kdw's, kumho's, pirellis and eagle F1 run flats...which I have all tried. These are simply better in every category and anyone looking for a fantastic tire at a great price should not overlook these.
Interesting. I will take my BFG KD's (not KDW's) up against them anytime. SO come out to Hawaii... ;)

Im on my second set of Kumho Ecsta Mxs. As far as running on a ZO6, considering they dont have the same sound deadening material as the C5, these tires are extremely quiet. Much more than other tire makes and they are priced in some cases under $900 a set which for a ZO6 is cheap. they are also a good looking tire tread wise and has a hell of an overall profile. They also grip very well in the wet and they corner great. Great tire.:v

I'm running 275/35/18 gen uhp exclaim front and 325/30/19 rear. blk c-6 z06 18x9.5 19x11. great tires and cheap too!!!!.:thumb

Actually went with the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport--Great tire for the money, rebate to boot, good tread pattern, handles great, puts down the power to the ground with no dancing, good in the rain, quiet....

happy.

NITTO INVO in the rear and TOYO T1 Proxes in the front. These tires are STICKY. The GOODYEARS SUCKED.

Last week I had new Kumho ECSTA SPT tires installed on my 95. It still had the original GY OEM tires with 23,000 miles. What a difference in the ride,handling and road noise. So far I am happy with them. I put the same sizes on as the old tires. I priced the Michelin and the Goodyears. The way I drive this car I could not justify the additional cost.

Firestone wide ovals

I'm another riding on Firehawks Wide Ovals...they were on the car when I purchased it and whens it comes time for new tires I will probably stay with the Firestones.

Randy
Huntsville, AL
Z16 Z06

Im on my second set of Kumho Ecsta Mxs. As far as running on a ZO6, considering they dont have the same sound deadening material as the C5, these tires are extremely quiet. Much more than other tire makes and they are priced in some cases under $900 a set which for a ZO6 is cheap. they are also a good looking tire tread wise and has a hell of an overall profile. They also grip very well in the wet and they corner great. Great tire.:v
Since my earlier comments, it was past time apparently for the tires that I already had (Kumhos) and I went this time with the Bridgestone Potenza R760 Sports and their incredible. Better than the Kumhos, extremely quiet,and priced great.

Nexen 3000. Great tires, great looks. Good bite.... I run
265/35/19 front
285/30/19 rear
Car is lowered 3 inches.

I'm another riding on Firehawks Wide Ovals...they were on the car when I purchased it and whens it comes time for new tires I will probably stay with the Firestones.

Randy
Huntsville, AL
Z16 Z06

Just replaced the Firestone's with new ones with wheel alignment...what a difference in ride and sound. The Firestones Wide Ovals were about $700 less than the Michelin and Goodyear's and I also like the tread design of them too.

Actually they're a little wider than stock C5 sizes. 245 stock to now 265 on the front. And on the rear stock was 275 and I went with 285. The KDW's are so much softer than GY Runflats that it's actually a big improvement in terms of traction. And yes I can light up tires....but it's all matter of self control.:chuckle

Remo:cool

I would appreciate knowing what size wheels you are running those tires on. I have a C5 vert with standard size wheels. They are ZO6 look 17x8.5 & 18x9.5 wheels. I want to run the widest tires in the rear that I safely can if they also enhance overall handling and performance. The car has a complete ZO6 brake system and about 385 at the flywheel.

The car came with new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires (Not the Plus tires). I've done a fair amount of amateur road racing, slaloms, and even some track tire testing for Bridgestone years ago. These aren't terrible tires, but they don't communicate with the driver and I'm weary of the lack of high caliber adhesion. Skittish is the best word I can use to describe these tires.

So far, I'm pretty open to Nitto NT05s, Wide Ovals, PS2s, and Pilot Super Sports among a few others. I'll be doing a little fun slalom work, but mostly looking for great grip on hilly/mountain fun runs, minimal road noise, and at least 20K longevity under that type of use. I won't be running this car in rain or snow. Most importantly I want the tires to communicate with me ... no surprises.

I'm hazarding 275 up to 285 on the rear and 245 up to 255 on the fronts?

I'm not anti-run flats, but I'm not willing to live with the high noise, skittishness, and poor ride that these A/S ZPs exhibit.

Thanks to everyone for any help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom