Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What to do with this screw

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
Okay, I have my emergency brake covering and the trim plate all detached. She's apart now. :) Anyways, I unbolted the trim plate so it's free flowing. But now, my main objective, is to get the heater unit out of her. Anyways, the wires are too tight and short to get any distance of the trim plate to get under there.

So, I have about 3 - 4 inches to get a screw driver in there to get the heater unit out. Not looking so good. So my father has one of those screw drivers that has the 90* angle to get in places like that. I used it, but not enough force to loosen the screw.

What should I do? I can't get this screw out. I could blast some WD-40 in there, but there is a lot of wires under that trim plate, as you probably know. Any ideas?

You could pull the carpet trim off the console to reach the screw. If I remember right, there are 3, maybe 4 screws holding the carpet trim on. One of them will be hard to get to because it is right next to the seat. If you pull the screws out the you can reach, maybe you can pivot the carpet trim up high enough to reach the screw you want to get to.

Bill

I already have those out. But it's okay now, because I just got the screw out. I borrowed a really tiny screw driver, with a short drive and handle. Thanks, dude!! :D

TR

If you run into this again, you can also try a ratchet with a screwdriver bit (they make a piece that attaches like a socket, but has a hole for a standard magnetic screwdriver bit to be inserted). They tend to be easier to use than a 90-degree screwdriver, assuming you have enough room.

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom