Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what to do?

register it now or in the spring

• spend the money now

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • wait till spring

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bossvette

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1968 1997
I have 6 more days on the 30 day tags for my 68 do I register it or stick it in the barn.
My original plan was to drive it to see how much work it needs then stick it in the barn and put it on my to do list. The windshield wipers do not work nor the heater and dash lights. The dash lights are most likely a ground since when driving to work the other night when I hit a bump they would come on breifly.;) which could mean that all the problems are ground related behind the dash.
None of these problems will require much work or down time to fix and realistically the major work I plan to do is at least a year away finanically.
Do I register the car now or wait till the spring, if I register it now I may only get another month or six weeks driving until I put it away I will have to pay the sales tax and reg fee now instead of later.

Put the $50 for registering the car towards fixing her. Or use that $50 for some liquid libations to enjoy while fixing her. Then enjoy next spring.

;)

Don't know the laws there but some places if you don't register you will be facing a hefty fine when you do register. May be able to title as non-operational until you get the necessary repairs made. Sounds as if you do not have to pass a safety inspection to register.

tom...

I keep everything (6) tagged and insured year round, never know when you might just want to take a little spin. Its not that much on a multi car policy and saves the headache of having to do it later.

I have 6 more days on the 30 day tags for my 68 do I register it or stick it in the barn.
Wow, sweet! As far as I know, you can't do anything like that in PA. If you buy a car here (in state) you need to get the title transfered and plates on it before you can drive it. I trailered mine home, (from MD) then applied for title, (paid the sales tax) did some work to get it to pass inspection then applied for (classic) plates. Also, when I bought the car, I had to insure it in the event of an accident on the way home. The insurance I got with the trailer and the insurance on the on the vehicle towing it WOULD NOT have covered the cargo.
I'm with the waterboy, save the fee for beer until spring!!

Craig

As pointed out above... depending upon the laws might help me decide one way or another ...

Having said that :D

I wouldn't register it for only a month or so of driving, just to find or identify problems. Graig, I'm sure you've driven it enough to know what is serious and what isn't ;) soooo, I wouldn't spend the $$ to register it then put in storage, just to get it back out again in the spring and find more things have "settled in" over the winter ;)

Knowing you, ... I'd bet it won't sit all winter without being started and maybe a short cruise up and down the frontage roads ;LOL so it's not like you will be surprise this spring anyway ;)

With all your other "fires" in my opinion, the 68 deserves it's "own time" with you... sell the '76 check your Christmas list and start accumlating what you need for the '68 ;)

Remember you did ask ;LOL

Bud

Don't know the laws there but some places if you don't register you will be facing a hefty fine when you do register. May be able to title as non-operational until you get the necessary repairs made. Sounds as if you do not have to pass a safety inspection to register.

tom...

Ditto. In New Mexico the insurance company informs the state government that one's insurance coverage has lapsed, and NM in turn sends you a certified later that you must answer before incurring penalties.

bossvette said:
None of these problems will require much work or down time to fix ...

As they say, 'famous last words' :L I have blown my get-back-on-the-road-by-August goal by at least 23 days. I would recommend that you bite the bullet, and place her in hibernation (don't forget the Stabil fuel additive), and like Waterboy said, use the 50 smacks for the project fund. We all have suffered from "well-while-I-am-at-it-I-should-fix/do-this-other-step" syndrome. ;LOL

GerryLP:cool

I keep everything (6) tagged and insured year round, never know when you might just want to take a little spin. Its not that much on a multi car policy and saves the headache of having to do it later.
Very well put.We may never get snow this winter.Besides it's good for the car to be driven when ever weather permits.

I am leaning towords getting it registered, its been so much fun driving with the top off I would be out today except its been raining off on an all day. I used to always have a vert in my stable when I was younger.

Bud I may sell the 76 in the spring but the 383/TKO has to come out for the 68 along with the Holley electronics I have a 305 TPI/700R4 to go in its place and have been buying the parts to change it over to an auto for some time now. I did promise Craig jr he could drive it with the small motor if he stays on the honor roll. He looked dissapointed when I said I would sell it; so that may be a factor in the decision. At least let him drive it until he tires of it.

realistically I will probably drive it for a year or so the way it is before Hot Rodding it.

I would register it right away. Then you can use it any of the good weather days as you work on some of the small things that you want to fix on the car.

I like to keep all my cars fully registered and insured just in case "the driving mood" strikes me.

Congrats on the cool '68 Craig and be sure to keep us informed with lots of pics.

Take care,
Brian

Go ahead and register it. There's bound to at least some periods of decent weather to take her out before spring.

Congrats on that "gr8 68"...... hmmm how's that for a license plate?

enjoy it while you can!!!!!!there aren't going to be that many days until we won't be able to drive any more this year!!!!!I'll drive mine till the snow flies (at least on the weekends)

register it and enjoy it as you can. it won't snow all winter (i don't care where you live except if you are up in the mountains somewhere). you should get some kind of break in the weather to enjoy it. that said, i know here in florida, there is an additional fee for late registration (after the recorded sale date on the title). additionally, you might want to check with your insurance company to insure that being legally registered isn't a condition of coverage after you told them it was "registered" when you got the temp tag.

Unless you bought your car out of state . and have to get another "inspection".. which is $4 or so here in OH.. I would keep it in the barn.. and work on it as it will be out of sight and there is no penalty for letting a temp tag expire in OH. Just my thought..

Tom

Here is something that the Euro-Crats got right.:confused
We can take a car off of the road at any time and put both Tax and Insurance on hold until we are ready to put it back on the road again.
The ZR1 has only been taxed and insured for 30 days this year. If I want to drive it it takes 1 phone call and less than ¼ hour in the traffic office and it is legal to drive again.

Boss – as many vehicles as you keep you should look into a fleet policy. When we bought the last one my insurance premium went down when they changed all of the policies on the cars and bikes over to a single fleet policy. Now my liability is based on the number and history of the drivers – not what they are driving. We are saving about $500/year with this deal.:D

Craig,

I wish I had this problem. To have 4 Vettes, but wonder whether I should register my 68 or not.;LOL

Look at it from us lowly one-vette-owners. The car need repairs and I wish I had another Vette to satisfy my thirst for driving it while I am working on my other Vette. hmmmm...:eyerole :beer

i thought the same thing Gerry, what a cool problem to have eh? :_rock
Im sure Craig will find a solution to this issue.:w
Chas
Craig,

I wish I had this problem. To have 4 Vettes, but wonder whether I should register my 68 or not.;LOL

Look at it from us lowly one-vette-owners. The car need repairs and I wish I had another Vette to satisfy my thirst for driving it while I am working on my other Vette. hmmmm...:eyerole :beer

No inspections here in Ohio. You can transfer the title, which I would do, but you don't have to register the car until you start driving it. If you bought it out of state you will need a VIN inspection but the ladies at the branch office in Bryan can do that there. Any cop and most car dealers can do this too. I'd do it before the temp tag ran out. It's easier to go to them than to have a cop come to your house to do the inspection (unless they are already there for some other reason ;LOL) Also I have never been charged a late fee on the title transfer on a vehicle that is not being driven. It would be smart to get it into your name just to make things simple if something bad would happen to it.

They prorate the registration based on your renewel date so depending on when your birthday is you might get a discount there. Also there are no insurance requirements on stored vehicles but proof of insurance is required to register a vehicle.

As big of a :) as you had on your face when you had the car over to my place I'd go ahead and get it registered. Then you can cruise this fall and fix some of those little things as you enjoy the car. I just renewed the '81's registration. I'm in the middle of changing my Corvettes and truck over to Haggerty. When that is done we'll be out cruising on a few nice fall days yet this year.

Tom

I'd wait until spring. It sounds like you've got a few things to sort out (as we all do when we buy and old car). That should keep you busy until spring. Then drive have it ready to drive the heck out of if come spring.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom