Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What Type Construction?

T

tscott9330

For those who have, are, or planning to build a garage, what is your peferred method of construction? Is it wood, steel, block? Tell me what you think.

I am trying to decide which will be the best for me. I have so far researched almost every option ( I think). And price wise it seems to me that the cheapest route will be a pole barn type frame building with steel roof trusses for height clearence. I would be interested to know what everyone else has to say.

Thanks,
Tom

I would also take into account the type of weather you experience in Florida. A pole barn would be the least expensive. However, it also would be the first to blow away in a hurricane. I would suggest the concrete block with steel trusses designed with that in mind. It would offer the best protection for your Corvette, both from storm damage and fire. unfortunately, It is also likely the most expensive route to go, but it still shouldn't be too bad. Hope this helps.

All buildings here must meet huricane codes, even pole barns. So the pole barn will be built to stand up to a hurricane, and I am pretty far inland, and I'm not really worried about it. The worst that tends to happen to up to code buildings is the loss of some metal siding or roofing. Usually just a little water damge. I have already bought 1 smaller pole barn from the company and I am very impressed with the strength of construction. They quoted me 12,000 for a 40x60 with 2 OH doors fully enclosed. That is cheaper than almost all the metal buildings I have seen.

Yeah, metal buildings can be rather expensive. Good to hear the pole barn will be sturdy. From a price standpoint they are probably the most cost effective way to go. I'd certainly be happy with one. About the only advantage to one of concrete block is fire resistance and even greater wind resistance. I say go for the pole barn!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom