Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Whats best for an LT4?

1996 LT4 Topic

twiget

Corvette
In the market
Eye Candy goes into the shop in a few days for a routine check up. She's got a little under 63,000 miles on the clock and I'm thinking it's probably a little past time to replace the plugs and wires.

Basicly what I need to know is, what is the best combo of wires and plugs? Is there really any benifit to the Splitfire plugs? The write up in Ecklers says that the spark can travel between the split in the electrode. That means the spark is being grounded by something other than the electrode, i.e. the head or cylnder walls? That is a bad thing right?

Would I be better off just sticking with the stock AC Delco parts?

wires & plugs

I don't know about an LT4 (I think it has aluminum heads and HEI distributor... but don't know angle of plug boots). However, I like Accel 300+ Race Wires...low resistance, spiral core, 8.8 mm, lifetime guarantee. They're real racecar stuff (virtually leakproof) and will handle any ignition upgrade such as CD ignition / MSD box. 300+ series wires have 4-digit part number beginning with SEVEN. I don't think 300+ available as a direct fit set for Vette LT4 (Camaro LT4 pn 7137) but a Universal set (you terminate distributor ends) pn 7033 or 7040 might work for you...Normal retail about $65-75...I've bought 2 sets at eBay...most recently got new set for $21. If you're into the neon-fluorescent wire thing forget it...300+ are gloss black only. MSD also makes a comparable 8.5 mm wire. Whatever brand/series, get a spiral core and steer clear of graphite-only or solid core. As for plugs I usually run Bosch in everything from Vette-RX7-HD-Olds etc because they seldom seize in aluminum or iron heads...started when copper-core was their best, now using platinum. I also like the Accel U-Groove plugs for same reason...plus have the added benefit of a grooved ground (kinda like splitfire's splay) and they don't have the ludicrous splitfire price...have used them for years even before Accel began labeling them...seem to recall they're made by Nippon Denso (ND NOT NGK). Unfortunately, Accel/Mr Gasket has come under the wing of Dana Corp...now a small cog in a big organization...getting Accel Factory technical assistance can be trying to say the least! Accel available at Summit, Jegs and local parts stores...Bosch & ND locally too. Overall, I think plugs are kinda like motor oil...it's all pretty good.
Jack

Sparkplugs/Wires

I was going to change my plugs and wires to one of the aftermarket products and my mechanic (at the Corvette Salon in Wyandotte, MI) insisted that unless you have a built up engine making tons of extra hp, you should stay with AC Delco plugs and wires. He claims that there is no way you'll noticed any improvement with a stock or near stock engine, not to mention the fact that it's smarter to stick with the components that the manufacturer had in mind for the car.

Like I said, that's just the opinion of one mechanic (albeit one with many years of experience under his belt). I'm sure you'll find lots of other opinions out there...

-J.

I've heard the stock wires are good...

Good enough for high-performance street engines, and that the AC Delco plugs are too, but what about the AC Delco "Rapidfire" plugs? Are they a viable replacement plug?

Check out the Idaho Corvette Page for information on the Rapidfire plug:
http://www.idavette.net/tech/acplugs.htm

Thanks for the advice guys. I figured that high performance plugs and wires would be a waste on a stock engine.

Ken,

Thanks for the Rapidfire page, but did you notice that there are no Rapidfire plugs avalible for the LT4?:D I'll ask my mechanic if he knows if any have been made.

I'll probably stick with the stock AC Delco parts.

Jason

Jason, I'll be darned, you're right - no LT4! I even checked the AC Delco site, but no LT4 listing. Hmmmm....... :confused

Ken

twiget said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I figured that high performance plugs and wires would be a waste on a stock engine.

Ken,

Thanks for the Rapidfire page, but did you notice that there are no Rapidfire plugs avalible for the LT4?:D I'll ask my mechanic if he knows if any have been made.

I'll probably stick with the stock AC Delco parts.

Jason

none made for and LT4, the shaft is too long.
Was looking to use them in the Callaway, same problem.
Seems the only ones listed are the platiums which I heard are a problem, so I just use the champions like Callaway calls for. recently replaced the stock wires with MSD 8.5, and it sure does make a difference

Can't go wrong with standard AC Delco plugs.

I would think the GM plug wires are as good as any other for most applications, but costly, too. Also, be advised that GM replacement wires don't have the nifty cylinder #'s on them.

I went with some aftermarked red wires but purely as a matter of economics, not expected performance gains.

Yes there is a listing

It's listed.

#AC 41-943

wires for LT-4

I just went to my local garage. They haven't touched my car before and I wanted to see if they knew what they were doing.
My engine was running pretty rough. He checked it out and found that one of my spark plug wires was grounding out and needed to be replaced. The mechanic said it was extremely difficult to replace them and was going to charge me $410.00 labor to replace all the set of wires. Is this guy whacko or is it really that big of a job? :mad

Do yourself a favor and call the Downriver Corvette Salon at (734) 283-8944. Ask for Brian (the owner) or his mechanic (I think his name might be John). They're probably about 40 minutes or so from you, but if that's too far they could at least give you an educated estimate on how much you should be paying.

I've taken my car to them a couple of times fairly recently and felt that their prices, knowledge and service were much better than some of the other places and specialized dealers I've been to in the Detroit area.

Hope this helps a little...

-J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom