Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats the Best C4 to Buy?

M

Mikebmab

Ok This is my first post. So be gentle...
My wife said why dont we get us a vette,(OK OK force me to) now that the kids are gone & I already sold another toy. So here goes:
wants are as follows

Convertible a Must
Auto a Must( for her)
power,air, tilt tele wheel?
air(of course its 93 at 8:15 pm) VERY COLD AIR
pwr seats???
which C4 has had more/less problems
which is best buy for the $$$?
which has the best potential to hold its value a bit better???
Any help will greatly assist my endeavor to aquire a vette in my stable soon...
Thanks
Mike

This question comes up a lot. It seems to be the view of the CAC that you need to buy the newest c4 model you can afford with the lowest mileage you can find, which is also in great shape.

Each year made improvements over the earlier years so a 96 might have many more refinements than a 90. If you can find a good car for what you have to spend good for it. Just remeber these cars a fairly expensive to repair so check it out good before falling in love with one. ( kinda like a wife I guess)

Good luck and hunting

Mike,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. :)

Each successive model year in the C4 generation got better and better. Personally, if you can get a 1996, I would go for that. In terms of collectibility, a 1996 equipped with the LT4 would be ideal, but there's only one problem with that. THe LT4 engine only came mated to the 6-speed manual transmission. You couldn't get it with the automatic.

If the automatic is a must, then there really isn't much difference between the 1994-1996 other than improved quality control and build refinement. Either way, I would shoot for a 1996. Hope this helps. Lets see what others have to say.

Welcome,
As a fairly new C4 owner (we bought ours last April after a little over a year of looking for just the right Corvette), I would say the best corvette is the one that feels right for you. (you'll know)

We started our search by going to the Corvette show in Houston, looking on Ebay, checking out the dealers on the internet, going to dealers, following-up on ads in the paper and looking at cars of a friend of a friend.

We visited lots of Corvette web sites (by the way, this is our favorite site). We must have looked at and driven 30+ Corvettes before we choose ours.

Starting out, my wife had a list similar to your's. As we saw more cars, did research, read postings on forums, we narrowed our search to a C4 because it gave us the most car for the $ and was just a beautiful car.

Good luck on your quest.

Which C4 you ask

Well, If I was going to buy a C4, I would try to find a 95 ZR1..........or maybe a 96 Grand Sport. I don't need much to keep me happy,....ha....ha....ha!

Re: Which C4 you ask

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
Well, If I was going to buy a C4, I would try to find a 95 ZR1..........or maybe a 96 Grand Sport. I don't need much to keep me happy,....ha....ha....ha!

You forgot about the need for an automatic. :D

I'll be in Monterey,CA starting Tuesday...hope to see a few while I'm there....
Thanks so far... keep them coming.!!!
I do like some C3 's but that horsepower thing & no convert just kills the deal...
My wife just called & said "just drove a '01 coupe....pretty nice!!!"
Oh come on hun....don't do this to me..
Whats a fella to do???

Mike:r :(

You're going to Monterey!? I am so jealous.....that place is like heaven on earth. :BOW :BOW

If it didn't HAVE to be auto/vert id say the ZR-1. Go to Carlisle and look around there.

ZR-1 uhhhhh...drool drool why does Homer Simpsons voice fill my head ???Yes I'd Love to have a ZR1 & since it looks like she wants to take over my Silverado I......Oh I almost made since or sumthin', sorry. Convertible (ok) & Auto....
Mike

Mikebmab said:
I'll be in Monterey,CA starting Tuesday...hope to see a few while I'm there...

Tuesday? The Tuesday of the Monterey Historics (August 16-18, 2002)? I'll be there beginning the fifteenth. ;)

My 1988 is a super car at a super price in super condition, even when I bought it in April, 2001 for $8500, and still super today with 160,000 miles on the clock. I haven't spend a dime on it, except for regula oil/lub changes. Maybe I'm just lucky. I spent over a year researching and looking before I got the car. I knew the maximum price I had budgeted, but was patient and ended up paying $2000 less than I was prepared to spend!! This car is mint inside and out!! I've had a blast!!
Good Luck hunting and don't forget to wave!!!
:beer

Mike, I'm in the same situation that you are in. I was looking at C5's when I realized they were a bit more money than I am prepared to spend right now.

I have been looking for 94 to 96 models. The LT1 engine came out in 92 and ran through 96 with 300 HP. Nice engine. I am also looking for a convertible as well. 94 was the first year of a glass rear window in the convertible top. Something to think about. I've narrowed my search down to 94 to 96 vert, torch red, six-speed. Now the problem is finding one. :D You should have an easier time finding an automatic. I run across them all the time. Like someone already said, look for the lowest miles, best price you can afford, but personally I would look from 94 to 96.

I bought a 96 Vert/ CE LT4 in Dec 2001 at Kerbeck Corvettes. It had 33,000 miles was in great shape, well cared for. It had the hard top with it. I paid 28,000.00 for it and paid another 1800.00 for the 2 yr. GM extended warranty. I have put 6,000 mi. on it and only expense so far was for an oil change which I did myself. I am retired and take it out for a topless ride almost daily.

which c-4

Mike,

I WAS in the same boat until 2 months ago when I found mine. After much research, I had narrowed search to the 94-96 models.(biggest disadvantage with these is the computers)

One day I saw an ad for a low mileage 86 coupe--I called for info--car had spent its whole life either in KY or FLA so that avoided some problems. Prior owner was a fanatic on cleanliness. Owner had just replaced tires,(originals had just worn out--car has 26,000 miles),battery, fuel pump, alternator, and all the belts. It has all the options including Z-51.

Bottom line is---I was looking for a 94-96 and as someone mentioned earlier---when you see it and feel it , you will know it is right. I bought the '86.

PS---most articles I read say avoid the 84 and 85 models because of the stiff/hard ride.True that Chevrolet made improvements each year--you might order a book called " THE C4 CORVETTE SOURCEBOOK". Also suggest spending the money for a CARFAX report--this might be the best $ spent during your search.

Good luck, remember the fun is in the hunt and the enjoyment follows!!!!!

it doens't take to much to fix the hard ride the 84 and 85's put out

just a few upgrades

Fixvet...

Thats an incredible SHINE!!!!! Did it look like that when you got it or is that new paint??? What poilsh/wax are you useing???
You guys are just killin' me , but I LOVE IT... Gawd I can't wait !!!
But i'm gonna.
Ok cons computers??? why?
Not real happy with digi dash, problems?

Mike

If I was looking at the C4 generation, and automatic / convertible package I would begin at the 1993 model year. A Ruby Anniversary model would be nice, but not necessarily the only choice. I had a 93 Arctic white/torch red ZO7 six speed was a beautiful looking and running car.
As several have already said, there were numerous refinements over the life of the C4.
There is much truth to what somebody said about the right Vette will just feel right, drive as many as you can to see what you like / dislike about the different years, suspensions, and interiors.
One of those drives will suddenly tell you THIS is the car I want.
Good Luck in your search, and remember to wave!
vettepilot

Don't people recommend that if you're going for the auto, do an L98 and if you're going for the 6-speed, go for the LT1?

Don't forget that in 1994, the went to the more complex computer system right?

I would probably do something like a 90-93, they seem to be very good on price and I'm sure the mileage is reasonably low.

Either way, you'll get a great car that you will surely enjoy!:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom