Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats the deal with the 2001 oil stick needing sand paper to be read correctly?

JBsC5

I can't believe as owners of a 2001 Corvette have to ruff up the oil stick in a cross pattern (sideways) to get the oil to stick to it..so we could get a decent reading..

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of..

If you decide to take some sand paper to your oil stick..make sure you wipe it down real good so you don't get any contaminants in the oil after you wait 15 minutes for the oil to run down the tube..

GM should be ashamed of themselves to allow this to go out of the dealerships like this.

Simple to do..but Terrible for their quality image..

Since they are so proud of their quality image of late...they should do a mass mailing with some 180 grit sand paper and instruct the owners on what to do..lmao

Sorry for the sarcasium but they should be ashamed.

I'm curious....is there a difference in the 2001 oil stick from the 2000 and 2002? Did they make some sort of design change?

Rob, I have no idea..all I know is my 99 c5 was normal..this 2001 oil stick was (hopefully fixed) impossible..never giving a decent reading..

Now that I ruffed up the oil stick...cleaned it ...real good and let the oil settle down the oil stick tube for 15 minutes with the oil stick out of the tube.....supposedly..at least for today..the readings are reasonably easy to get.

I have no idea but would imagine something is different in the area of measuring oil in the 2001.

Great car! crazy oil stick...

I have a '99 coupe and I have no problems with my oil dip stick. I can see it no problem. I do not know about the 2001, but I don't think they made any changes. Maybe you got a bad one there.

Dan, Believe it or not..its a rampant problem for owners of 2001 C5's..

JB and sandpaper

About 18 months ago my back was broken. As a direct consequence I have a very hard time walking. Today I traded in my 1991 ZR1 for a New 2001 Z06 (repo). I'll get down on my knees tonight and thank my God for giving me a second chance to drive some of my toys. And even if I have to spend 5 minutes to sand my dipstick I'll try and work in a minute to pray for a person who has nothing else to worry about but his "impossible" to read dipstick.

Hey man..sorry to hear about your problem and glad your feeling better. ..but don't

FOR A MINUTE THINK THAT THIS IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN MY LIFE. This dipstick post is a goof... a spoof.. a joke.

I GOT AN AUTISTIC 6 YEAR OLD THAT WOULD MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN.

I'd give my life for this kid and I have found an integrated approach that seems to be working for many autistic children.

I do presentations at schools for these kids..I have parents who have just found out their children have this horrible disease..come to my house so I can lead them step by step to finding the biochemical solution that seems to be working..

I do this for the love of these children ...I give the parents of these children..every possible bit of workable information that I have accumulated over the past 5 years..

In addition to that..my son undergoes between 7 and 10 sessions of physical, occupational and speech theapies a week..and has been since the age of 17 months..he also goes to a special school for kids with disabilities like this..and in addition to that..I work with him 7 days aweek..whether at home...at the shopping center or the local park..so he should learn to integrate with others.

This child is the main reason..I'm on the internet so I can do research and communicate with others in a similiar situation..

If you really think..a car..a dipstick or anything else compares to what my son, my wife or I am going through..then guess again.

glad to hear your able to drive a car..

Imagine if you or better yet..your loved one..like a young child couldn't tell anyone about their horrible pain...but you could see them stretched out on the floor reathing in pain..thats a dam horror.

How would you like to know the leading hypothsis is on the cause?

How would you like to know " the facts" as they are portrayed by our government, our medical community and how they relate to whats really occuring in epidemic portions..

To the tune of 1 in 150 boys being born today..and why.

Email me if your interested..but don't ever think..your the only one that ever had a real problem in life..

Cause it aint just so..

I truly am glad your doing so much better!

Wish me luck with my son if you would. I always appreciate it. It never hurts to have others rooting for you when you try to accomplish the almost impossible..

JbsC5, I was about to tell both of you to lighten up, but.... The great thing about this CAC is that after you get to know people, we are all the same, juat different problems. I admire the work you do to help parents with children afflicted with disease.

I do wish you and your family health and luck!

Regards,
Ster
ve

An apology

JB,
I am truly humbled by your situation. May God bless you for your work and I will include all those who suffer in my sincerest prayers.

Larry

Larry,

You truly are a gentlemen.

Thank you

JB

JB....you made up the 2001 dipstick problem as a joke???? :SLAP :SLAP :SLAP :SLAP ;)

Rob,

the dipstick situation is a reality..

The joke is my over reaction or somewhat sarcastic tone with which I implied I felt it was a horrible thing.

Lets face it..in the scheme of what I have described above..

How big a deal is it that the oil stick needs to be better designed on the 2001 ZO6 I own..or that many own...

I would say..about 99.9% of the time I carry an extremely positive perspective...

I would suggest to you that my tone of OMG what was GM thinking when they allowed this to get into production this way..was somewhat overly dramatic..

I mean..how big a deal is it..that an owner of a new car...? cant easily get a reading on an oilstick and might need to sand it down with some sand paper on a cross sectional basis and then throughly clean and dry off the dipstick so that the oil would more easily stay on the stick to be read?

It was absolutely no problem what so ever to do.

Just a strange and funny part of the Corvette ownership experience.

But definitely true..its a hard dipstick to read right out of the factory..and the engineers responsible really should have somehow corrected this situation prior to release..Imho..

No matter what though..I love this car!

Makes those drives up through the mountains truly exciting.

LOL, I get it. Ok....so....maybe I've just been working too hard lately and my brain cells are not functioning on full throttle. I'll take two of those :SLAP back. :D :D :D ;)

Cool..

JBsC5 said:
I would say..about 99.9% of the time I carry an extremely positive perspective...

....and not to mention, does a pretty good Billy Joel impersonation too. ;) :t :D

Barbie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom