Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what's this thing?

bobinlaw81

Corvette
81 charcoal on silver
I wish i could find my digital camera...

While looking around for what may be causing an electrical drain..
under the storage compartment behind the passenger seat there is the jack, and several components along the wall. I was poking around down there because the wiper relay was making some awful noises, and noticed that there is this box. Two of them actually which is what made me curious.

the far right most of the stuff in that compartment. there is one bolted to the wall, and one just flopping in the breeze. it's a square, with a mounting hole in opposing diagonal corners. anyone know what this is or what it controls? the box on the wall i'm guessing went bad and the box flopping is the replacement that someone was too lazy to properly secure in place. it's got some corroded terminals and solders that i can see looking in from the side.

I think you are looking at the theft deterrent control module. If an after market alarm was installed, they would quite likely do it as you described (Bubba for hire). God bless, Sensei

In my 81, there are actually 3 "things" wired into the area where the jack is, and all are connected to factory wiring harnesses. The one closest to the passenger side door appears to have been replaced and is also "flopping in the breeze". I'm assuming it is a relay or module that went bad and was replaced but not mounted properly. The middle one is the power antenna relay. I know this one because I've been debugging an antenna issue, and then there is another one closest to the center of the car. On mine, all look like they were original equipment (rather than an aftermarket unit) but one simply wasn't replaced properly. Don't know if it helps or not, but thought I would tell you what I see when looking at mine.

Regards,
Ron

hmm.. well no aftermarket security system.. i wonder if the stock unit just went bad and someone decided to put a new module in and just not attach it.

i also have three as you described Ron, the one closest to the car is the creature in question on my wheels.

thanks fellas.. it's a start

The 3 devices located in the passenger storage box are as follows - Outboard to Inboard:

1. Delay Wiper relay.
2. Power Antenna relay
3. Theft Deterrent Electronic Control Module (Not to be confused with the Command and Control Computer - CCC which is also referred to as an ECM). I had to disconnect mine this spring - went belly up and would not stop blowing the horns.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom