Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats Your Experience With GMPP Crate Motors & Or Parts

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
I was thinking about ordering a GMPP Crate Motor this coming Sept 2004. There has been some talk of the quality of GMPP parts and Crate Motors.

I have heard stories from other forum members about problems with GMPP stuff. I know the "O man" had some problems with his GMPP Crate motor. I also have heard of problems with GMPP water pumps.

Alot of these items I am told are made overseas in China, Mexico as well as other countries.

So here I am ...paused on the ledge...having second thoughts about GMPP quality. Not wanting to leap yet.

Having a bad water pump is one thing....not too hard to remove and return . But a Crate Motor..............No Way.....I an't pullen that out again..!!! So what's your experience with GMPP Gack..

I had heard something similar before we ordered the 502. Since we were going to take it apart anyway to modify the engine we checked for any shavings or poorly torqued bolts. Thankfully, we didn't find any though.:D

Rich Lagasse

richscorvettes said:
I had heard something similar before we ordered the 502. Since we were going to take it apart anyway to modify the engine we checked for any shavings or poorly torqued bolts. Thankfully, we didn't find any though.:D

Rich Lagasse
Thanks Rich,...BTW..saw the other reply at you know where.:beer

have a zz4 with a few mods in my 65 coupe. havent had any problems thus far.have about 700 miles on it. strong running reliable motor. quite happy with it paul

pnewt said:
have a zz4 with a few mods in my 65 coupe. havent had any problems thus far.have about 700 miles on it. strong running reliable motor. quite happy with it paul
Thanks Paul:_rock

VNV - I have the ZZ502 in my '67 Coupe - Once timing and carb were dialed in, the motor has been very strong....BUT I did have a leaky aluminum water pump which I got a replacement for under warranty. Other than that all is well - Joe

427/390 said:
VNV - I have the ZZ502 in my '67 Coupe - Once timing and carb were dialed in, the motor has been very strong....BUT I did have a leaky aluminum water pump which I got a replacement for under warranty. Other than that all is well - Joe
Thanks for the reply Joe....

Yeah..I keep hearing about those leaky pumps..Weird..

Was you Vette a BB before you droped in the 502??

It was a 427/390 - I had added an edelbrock manifold and MSD distributor and ignition, but wanted more ummph - also, like to drive it hard, so I didn't want to grenade the matching # motor - the original motor was stashed in the crate that the 502 came in - sometimes i think i may restore the 67 to all matching numbers, pull the 502 and put in a hard core street 69 - 72....but we'll have to see - knowing you, I am sure you will post when you get the 454 and if you need help with the details of the swap, i can let you know what some of the little issues are (does it come with mechanical fuel pump provision? you will need to re-route your oil pressure line, you may need to get a special bracket for clutch cross shaft, etc. etc. - none of it is hard) - Joe

427/390 said:
It was a 427/390 - I had added an edelbrock manifold and MSD distributor and ignition, but wanted more ummph - also, like to drive it hard, so I didn't want to grenade the matching # motor - the original motor was stashed in the crate that the 502 came in - sometimes i think i may restore the 67 to all matching numbers, pull the 502 and put in a hard core street 69 - 72....but we'll have to see - knowing you, I am sure you will post when you get the 454 and if you need help with the details of the swap, i can let you know what some of the little issues are (does it come with mechanical fuel pump provision? you will need to re-route your oil pressure line, you may need to get a special bracket for clutch cross shaft, etc. etc. - none of it is hard) - Joe
Heh Joe,
Well your swap was easier then mine will be. My vette is a SB. I plan on rebuilding the front end as it needs to be done. At that time I will add the BB springs and Swooshy bar. I'll have to change the rad support and go to a BB Rad.

While the Motor bay is empty I'll install a new Heater core and if I have enough beers I might spring for Vintage Air. I'll need an 11" Clutch and a new Flywheel and a new fuel pump.

Moving along....new headers...and new side exchust system...and finally we end up at the rear end. Change out the SB Drive yokes to BB side yokes with caps.

So that will leave me with a set of exchust maifolds(2 1/2") and a set of side pipe mufflers and one DeWitts SB rad and support with less then 3000 miles on it and 1 pair of SB SIDE YOKES to sell. So...I can recoupe some of the buckies back.

The ZZ454/440 does have a fuel pump bos as well as the ball stud hole for the clutch crossshaft.

I will yell out when I hit a snag...keep your ears open..

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom