Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheels for a 1960

Stemmer

Corvette
I'm looking to purhase some new Torque Thrust II's for my 1960... I'm torn between 15x7 or 16x7...

Any advice would be much appreciated before I actually make the purchase...

Presently running 215x70-15 front and 235x70-15 and I would like to run 205x65-16.... Would the 16 " wheels give me an harsher ride...

I'm surprised that nobody has replied to this as it's a rather common discussion. All I can say is that I haven't tried 7" wides on the front. Most think you will get some fender rub. As for 16s vs 15s I think that if you keep the hight and width the same as the 15s you are replacing fit should hot be a problem. A shorter sidewall usually means a stiffer ride. The specific tire may have more effect than straight size though.

Tom

After some research at the Corvette Forum and some Vette mags I've opted for a 15x7 American Racing Torque Thrust II....There isn't a good a tire selection for 16 inch rims as 15 or 17 inch rims...

17 inchrims look cool on C2s but are a little too big for a C1... I was also told a 16 or 17 inch tire would harshen the ride for an already harsh riding car... :-)

I ordered by wheels last saturday and they should be here within a week....

Cheers

Ken

That's great. I'll be waiting to see some pictures. I'm really interested in the fit on the front. I'd like to go 7" on my '59 too.

Tom

I'm already running 15x7's and I have the ECI disc brakes conversion on the front... My present wheels have a backspacing of 3 3/4 which is what the new rims have...

The old wheels use the shank type nut and they are a bugger to put on, hence my desire to change wheels to an acorn type lug nut...

15x7 fit all the ways around for me, however my rear wheel wells are slightly enlarged (ex-stripper - drag strip racer that is)...

so do you think the only reason that they 15x7 fit the car was that the modifications to the rear wheel wells gave enough room for them to fit?

I would be interested if they fit a stock set of wheel wells as I have a 60 and am contemplating doing the same.....let me know.....thanks!!!

by the way I think they look GREAT!!!

I think 15x7 would be fine... I believe a couple of the regulars at CorvetteForum are running 15x7 on their C1s as well...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom