Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

When do you decide body off vs survivor

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
I have asked this question here before but I'm attaching pictures this time. My question is at what point do I opt to do a Body off or keep it original. it has original paint,interior and 427 tripower w/ 30k miles. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. Is it to rusty under neath to leave alone.

1968corvette-deliveryday015-1.jpg

1968corvette-deliveryday017-1.jpg

1968corvette-deliveryday021-1.jpg

Thank you.. Jim

Why did you buy the car? What do you want it for? What are your expectations?

For maximum investment potential hermetically seal it and place it in storage for the next 20 years. If you drive it and use it it will continue to deteriorate from where it is now.

If you want to have some fun drive it and do the repairs necessary to keep the car running well and safe. Then drive it like you stole it.

If you want to have a show piece do a complete frame off restoration at one of the famous restoration shops and buy a trailer to bring it to different shows. Buy lots of detailing products and constantly work to keep it looking beautiful. But do not drive it for it will get paint chips and road tar never look as good as the day the restoration was finished.

It is all a matter of what you want the car for. It is your decision and there is no right or wrong answer. It is your car only you can answer the question. If you know what you want it for then tell us and those of us who have taken that road can offer some advice.

Your exactly rite red70vette. I am looking for maximum investment. Trying to get it back to the way it was 40 yrs ago. Just did'nt know if I should address the surface rust on the frame and A frames. Have new carpet, windshield post pads,new exhaust,new vacuum hoses under hood,rebuilt tripowers.
I just wanted someone in the know if I should do minimal restoration "which I'm doing" and leave surfase rust or try to clean it up some.
Every piece of history I have on this car indicates original paint (has some rough areas),interior,top,wheels,caps, and untouched engine w/L71 intake not L68 (30k miles).

are you going to drive the car or have it NCRS judged? if you are going to have it NCRS judged, do it before you DO ANYTHING to the car! a car is ORIGINAL only once

I agree with Rick. Clean it up and get it judged before you decide which way to go. I'd be temped to drive it a lot too.

Tom

I guess I'm going against the mob here, but I'm seeing very significant condition deductions from every angle in the picture from a judging standpoint. I don't think you'd like the outcome of NCRS or NCCB judging in the car's present condition. I'd either love it like it is or do it. That's not to say it's not a great piece.

If it weren't for the camaro louvers that somebody added to the hood I MIGHT consider leaving it unpainted (only if it's original paint), but from what I've seen the car would be better off done.

I would leave it untouched and have it judged. That way you will find out exactly how original it is. The purpose of the judging is not to score a top flight but to see how original it really is. You will only score a top flight after it is fully restored. It also provides a good opportunity to get some knowledgeable people look at it and give you some advice on where to go with it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom