Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

where do these go?

jim coulter

Corvette
71 big block, 84 coupe
On my 71 big block there is a 2 wire plug hanging on the right side (but not neccesarily suppose to be on that side) that has a tan and dark blue wire going to it. The tan wire is "hot" with ignition "on". When I purchased the car, the plug had started melting to the exhaust manifold. I pulled it loose and layed it over out of the way and forgot about it. There was also a wire with a round head that looks like it would plug into a small post. Thought this wire was black, untill I took some tape off. Looks like it was either red or orange (Im leaning toward orange). This wire is "hot" also with ignition "on". Anyone know where these two plugs might have gone? By the way, mine doesnt have a/c or any of the wiper door hardware. I've looked at my schematics over and over and do not see this combination. Thanks for the help.

How about the TCS solenoid? Not sure if BB had this system or not. There is also a single wire (round boot type connector) that goes to a switch on the side of the trans (4-speed) and I believe it is black.

I'll check. But the single round wire just looks black, its actually red or orange. I do have a 4 speed though.

There is a blue wire that goes to the wiper motor I believe, but the other wire is yellow. Got me on this one.

Can you post some pics for us?

Took some with my cell phone and downloaded to my computer, but dont know how to post them here. Copy and paste did not work.

This one shows the three wires. The black one with round head actually looks orange to me.

3zk8z7d.jpg

And one more. They were on the passenger side, but originate at the firewall on driver side.

2qib504.jpg

And thanks for the help guys, not just with the wires but on how to post pics. If these are not good enough pics let me know and I'll try and get some better ones. That one two wire plug looks light blue in pic, but is actually a little darker. Thanks again. Going to take three dueces off and put edelbrock intake and edelbrock 800 on it and I need a switched 12 volt source for the choke. The tan wire and black(orange) wire are both "hot" with switch on, but I havent yet started trying to figure which fuse its on. That will be tomorrow. Dont want to "mess up" a factory plug if I can help it.

Is this or was this a A/C car?? The single W/round plug looks like a A/C thermal switch plug on back of compressor,the other two look like a A/C Compressor Clutch plug!!!:upthumbs Never mind I see that it dosen't have air!!

Does your car still have the hidden wiper door intact - the picture is a little unclear but the round plug looks a little like the wiper door safety switch plug, very hard to tell from this pic. Good luck

Are you sure the one you are saying is 'tan' colored maybe use to be yellow... just with dirt, oil, and grime added to make it look tan.

It was pretty clean and it looks tan. If your thinking maybe the windshield washer motor, it already has a dark blue and yellow going to it and it works. The black(orange) in pic is real brittle near the end(about last 8-10 inches) like its been near heat source. The plug looks kinda like the one on your brakes.

Where do the wires go? ...into the firewall? If so, about where?
Or do they just go into the wiring harness somewhere?

Im in the process of unwrapping them. Will continue when I get home from work. For now I know they go to the driver side(have them unwrapped that far), but exactly where the go inside at Im not sure, I wont know till tonight. Have them unwrapped to about the brake master cylinder where they turn and head down.

The wires go through the firewall down on the drivers side. Theres a bulkhead connector that two big plugs plug into, one closest to outside(larger of two) and one a wee bit smaller(inside that one toward center) The wires are in the inner(smaller) connector. Could gmjunkie be right, and these are for a/c? Surely GM would have same wiring harness whether you had a/c or not. Was going to jump between tan wire(hot when on) and blue wire(never seems to get hot) just to see what happens. curious whether fuse will blow, light on dash will come on, car will turn into batmobile, etc., but got home late and cant find what I did with key;shrug Been fighting stomach bug, so guess it can wait till tomorrow to jump it out.(that is IF I find the keys by then):ugh

...curious whether fuse will blow, light on dash will come on, car will turn into batmobile, etc.....
The Batmobile...:L Actually, from what I hear, the 1980 Corvette was the initial design model for the recent Batmobile. Ask anyone that has a black or dk. blue one...they've probably gotten comments from people. I know I did! :D

Tonight when I get home, Im going to find which fuse these wires are on, since I found my keys last night. Nothing on my schematics from my haynes manual or shop manual match what Im looking at that I can tell. And yeah, the batmobile does kinda look like a vette, C3 model.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom