Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which nose mask is best?

R

richross

Anyone have any opinions on which mask is best for a '78 Vette? I'm looking at driving it across the state to my hometown and am not sure which mask is best, or which supplier to buy from for that matter... Should I go with the mini masks or the bulkier ones with the anti-luff deflectors?
ALSO, the dude I bought the car from slopped a TON of carnuba wax on the car during his detailing sessions and consequently I have a lot of decades-old wax/polish along many of the cars seams. What is the best way to remove this buildup? I tried to scrape a bit out but quickly realized I was scratching up the nearby paint. I'm hesitant to use nail polish remover or a bit of thinner which a buddy recommended. Any ideas?​

Dupont's PrepSol should remove the wax buildup. You can get it at auto body paint shops.

prep-sol works miracles :beer

Regarding the mask, I see that you have a pace car. I have one too, and I've discovered that the standard "full" mask won't work for us. In order for it to be securely installed, the mask's lower side attachments have to attach at the front wheelwell - right were the left/right front air dam (spoiler) is.

Maybe another PC owner can chime in on which mask manufacturer and type will work.

Clay bar will remove the wax plus all the dirt and contaminants without damaging the paint. Then polish and wax with quality products like Meguiars or Mothers.

All a bra on a car is good for is scratching the paint. Unless you're going to be tailgating a tractor trailer on a dirt road, you're better off without it.

I believe mine is the CoverCraft as shown on this page. I've been very happy with it and it has gone many miles on all my long road trips, last one a round trip between Cleveland and Colorado Springs. Might also check with Zip Products since they are a Supporting Vendor here. They may carry them and also offer a discount via the CAC.

As for removing old wax and whatnot, give your car a bath or two using liquid dish soap. As for using nail polish remover (acetone) or thinner (mineral spirits)...:bash...that sounds like a very bad joke! If you don't have the knowledge AND equipment to do a professional job, I suggest taking it somewhere that does. It'll probably run around $300 or so to strip it and put fresh back on, but it will be worth it.

Getting back to the car covers...it's imperative that it's a tight, snug fit. If it's loose it will slap against the car while driving and mar the paint. As well, a loose cover allows debris to get in there and rub.

All a bra on a car is good for is scratching the paint. Unless you're going to be tailgating a tractor trailer on a dirt road, you're better off without it.
Maybe for el-cheapo bras. Otherwise I definitely have to disagree with ya there. I've made long drives with and without. I'd much rather clean off bugs and grime from my car cover than from the front bumper itself! Most of the chips on the front of my car are within the area that the bra normally covers. They occurred when it wasn't on the car. I put it on for the long drives and take it off upon arrival. The last thing I do before heading back home is put it back on. It takes all of 10 minutes once it's had it's initial adjustment for the car.

I have a mini bra on mine, a 76. Its just enough to cover the dings I've put in the front bumper and makes the car look great. The full size bra in comparison is like putting Granny panties on a beautiful woman instead of something sexy.

I believe mine is the CoverCraft as shown on this page. I've been very happy with it and it has gone many miles on all my long road trips, last one a round trip between Cleveland and Colorado Springs. Might also check with Zip Products since they are a Supporting Vendor here. They may carry them and also offer a discount via the CAC.​
Here's a picture of it as I arrived in to CruiseFest 2005.

evolution1980-albums-random-pics-picture1524-resized.jpg

Clay bar will remove the wax plus all the dirt and contaminants without damaging the paint. Then polish and wax with quality products like Meguiars or Mothers.

I agree, also use a old tooth brush to get the wax out of the cracks. Be careful of the bra as they can do more harm than good.

There was a bra on a 70 coupe I bought way back when, it wasn't a cheap one, the fit was good/tight, I took it off to wax the car, it had rubbed the chrome off the bumper. IMHO any covering used will abrade what's underneath it, grit gets everywhere and if your at highway speeds, well figure it out. Possibly a decal like covering would be a better choice, like the chip guards you see on some vehicles. I use wooden toothpicks to get wax out of cracks and other areas.

Thanks

Thanks everyone... I will take this all to heart.

If you allow any moisture to get under it and park the car in the sun, the moisture will turn to steam and fog your paint. :eyerole

That's a Sweeeeet PIC of your Vette EVO!
Thanks! :cool
And BTW...that is the Covercraft bra on my car and I've been very happy with it.
Technical note about the bra: Some people don't bother to read the instructions fully, but there are 2 slats per side that need to go in the triangled deflectors above the headlights. (You can make them out in my pic.)
They direct air flow over the bra and keeps it from potentially slapping at the car and/or getting underneath it around the headlight openings. It's very important and is stated as such in the installation instructions.

I always wondered what those little flaps were for. Thought maybe some kind of bug deflectors. ;)