Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

White exhaust when starting 1st time.

USD03745

Corvette
1990 White Coupe
My 1990 coupe w/ L98 (aluminum heads) puffs a white cloud out of the exhaust when the car is first started. It lasts less than a minute and does not happen again after that until I start it again the next day or couple of days. It does not appear to be oil (the dipstick level has not moved). Any ideas?

White is usually coolant in the combustion chamber or in the exhaust ports.
I think you may have a head gasket leaking or a cracked head. Is your coolant level going down at all ? If you do have a leak it is very small at this point and you may be able to stall a costly repair with stopleak. GM has a very good product that I understand is put in all new cars. I have used it often with good results. I have had the repair last over 2 yrs.

Glenn
:w

my guess is valve seals it is very common on these motors it is a fairly pricey repair it could be done by a backyard guy with some experience steve

WHITE smoke would indicate coolant. I'm with G Winter on this one, get some Bars leak and hope that it takes care of the issue, at least for a while.

Does it smoke every day or only under certain weather conditions (cool, damp)?

Water is a byproduct of combustion and what you're seeing could be condensed water vapor. Once the exhaust heats up the water evaporates.

If you have a coolant leak a pressure test of the cooling system should detect it. A full service gas station or a radiator shop will probably do it for free. They replace the cap with a pressure gage, pump it up and watch the gage. If you have a leak, the gage should drop. I wouldn't put stop leak in it until I was sure it needed it.
Does your oil dip stick have a milky looking substance on it, indicating water in the oil?
If the above does not indicate a water jacket leak I would think it is leaky valve stem seals. When the car sits for a period of time, oil will sometimes leak past the seal and down the valve stem. When the engine is started the oil burns off and appears as light gray in the exhaust for a few seconds.
Coolant would be white steam.

White is usually coolant in the combustion chamber or in the exhaust ports.
I think you may have a head gasket leaking or a cracked head. Is your coolant level going down at all ? If you do have a leak it is very small at this point and you may be able to stall a costly repair with stopleak. GM has a very good product that I understand is put in all new cars. I have used it often with good results. I have had the repair last over 2 yrs.

Glenn
:w
I agree!!! Could even be a Intake at head leak,I've seen this, only leaks after shut down as Cooling down!!! Check all the bolts in the Intake!!:upthumbs

Take a wiff of the smoke. If it's antifreeze you'll get the sweet smell.
It's just old and has hard valve seals. For the agravation just drive it! Take care of it when the engine is rebuilt.
You won't find a 80's vette that doesn't do what you are talking about if it's orginal. Even it doesn't have many miles on it.
My 215k mile 87 does it and I don't put a quart of oil in it between changes.

JS

I had a 66 GTO, back in the day..that had a auto trans that had a vacuum kick down valve that was bad and the auto trans fluid would suck up into the intake where it gets it's vacuum from and white smoke came out of the exhaust.

If not and you have a manual trans, my guess is old valve guide seals. Just a thought. Let us know.
Louis

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom