Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

White Letter Tires

Crimson Thunder

Corvette
1970 Marboro Maroon Convertible
I'm starting to get my car cleaned up and ready for my favorite annual show this weekend(Vette's at the Village,St.Augustine,FL).My car has never been as dirty as it is now because it had to be my daily driver for a week while the Camaro puked another Optispark.What do you guys use to get your white letters on your tires clean?My BFG Radial TA's have always been dingy (kind of off white/yellow)since i bought them.I've used 409 and a brush to get them as clean as possible but i would like them bright white.I'm scared to paint them as i don't want them to streak.Any suggestions... Thanks Craig

I use Weshley's Bleche-White cleaner with a dishwashing scratch pad. Just cleaned them over the weekend, it takes care of that yellowish look. I put my Armoral on first, then the cleaner on the letters. I've heard some use just regular bleach.

I use a stiff plastic bristled scrub brush and Comet Cleanser. It works great. Then after I armour all the tires, I wipe the white letters with a rag soaked in Westleys Bleach White. This keeps them nice and White.

I need to get my letters a little bit Whiter,I'll try the Weshley's,
I usually use simple green and a scrub brush on dirty wheels,then rinse them after with just plain water,cleans them up nice,I then put Adam's VRT on them,gives the a nice look!!!:upthumbs :upthumbs

To go along with the topic, would those 'magic erasers' work? They seem to work on most other stuff lol

When I clean my wheels with eagle one, I also spray it on the white letters. Wait 5 minutes then hose them off. They look like new.

Cheers

Richard

"...What do you guys use to get your white letters on your tires clean?..." Craig

Craig,

This may sound crazy, but I use toothpaste! Seriously, the grit in Colgate (with whitener) on a terry cloth rag, in combination with the same soap suds I use when washing the car works great.

Ralph

I use soft scrub and a stiff brush on mine, then I coat the tires with Meguiars Endurance tire gel. The gel doesn't turn the white letters and lasts way better then anything else I've used.

For a quick clean up when I am at a show, after I put my tire dressing on I put some "spray brake cleaner" on a rag and wipe the raised white letters off. It gets any tire dressing off and makes the white REALLY POP.

WOW! The Bleche-White worked great.Exactly the result i looking for.
Yep, Westley's and a scrub brush. I found I have to wear gloves though because it tears up my hands (minor chemical burn). And if you have aluminum rims, make sure you clean off the Westley's in short order, otherwise it will 'stain' the aluminum. Chrome rims aren't so much a problem.

Do they make 16" with white letters?
Nope! 15" is all ya get.
BFG did make some WLR Comp T/A's in 17" for the prototype of the current Mustang GT. But unfortunately they never released 'em as production tires. Unavailability of WLR above 15" is the ONLY reason I've never upgraded to a larger rim. ;squint:

Yep, Westley's and a scrub brush. I found I have to wear gloves though because it tears up my hands (minor chemical burn). And if you have aluminum rims, make sure you clean off the Westley's in short order, otherwise it will 'stain' the aluminum. Chrome rims aren't so much a problem.

Nope! 15" is all ya get.
BFG did make some WLR Comp T/A's in 17" for the prototype of the current Mustang GT. But unfortunately they never released 'em as production tires. Unavailability of WLR above 15" is the ONLY reason I've never upgraded to a larger rim. ;squint:
EVO, found that out this past weekend. Used the Westley's and waited to long. Stained the aluminum wheels pretty good. Had to use an aluminum wheel cleaner and buff out the damage done....:eek:hnoes

lol at using colgate! makes you wonder whats happening to your teeth when using it.

I use vogue tyre's white wall cleaner and love it! also have used eagle one's cleaner and that works (almost) just as good!!

i've used soft scrub, brake cleaner, bleach, bathroom cleaner, toothpaste i guess pretty much anything i can find around the garage or house.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom