Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Who Built Your Grand Sport Engine?

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Wondering who built your Grand Sport Engine at the Wixom Performance Build Center? Below is a picture of the nameplate mounted to the engine - photo is courtesy of Tom Read, GM Powertrain.

LS3 (4 manual GS coupe Vette) builder label found on front lower rt of intake:

J D Dickenson

Mike Priest built mine. I've had my GS for less than a month and only have about 200 miles on it, so I have yet to push it too hard. I can hardly wait for the weather to stay good so I can crank some miles on to it. This is my third Corvette and I've owned Camaros and Nova SS's as well, this is by far the fastest car I've ever owned. Thanks Mike!

1817 miles as of right now. Mine runs great but as a Z06 owner I can definately feel the loss of 70 ponies. I will rectify that soon. Congrats on the new Vette!

The tag is on the right hand side - the passenger side of the engine. My tag says Mike Armstrong on it. Does anyone know how they first start these engins at Wixom or do they even start them at Wixom? Maybe the first running of the LS3 is in the car... I'd like to know how it all works... Al

James Knipp built my motor too!

Just got to my tag, and looks like we have the same builder. Have 350miles on the car have not taken it above 4grand yet. I'll wait until 500miles or so. Good luck with your ride.

James Knipp, thank you for building an awesome engine !

2010 grand sport convert. Step child?

I am told by my chevy dealer that my engine was built at a plant where all other LS 3's were built. No dry sump, engine built by a group of people, what other thing will turn up next? Is it true, is the convertible grand sport the step child corvette?

I am told by my chevy dealer that my engine was built at a plant where all other LS 3's were built. No dry sump, engine built by a group of people, what other thing will turn up next? Is it true, is the convertible grand sport the step child corvette?

They speak the truth.:ugh

My dealer said the same tning

I got the same line from my dealer. He was not aware that they LS3 manual engines were being built at Wixom. I sent him the articles from many auto mags, and the link from this site. He thanked me. Anyway, if you have a 6sp manual there is a tag with a printed name on it. Look at the pics on this forum it shows you where to look.

hand built

The only hand built Grand sport engines are manual Coupes because what the told me at the dealer is convertibles don't usually race or drag and autos don't race either ,so they don't need the dry sump.

Is it under the fuel rails? towards the fire wall or radiator ? Thanks sorry to be a pain in the a$$

Not quite accurate

Do you have an automatic transmission? I have a 2011 Grand Sport Coupe. I have a dry sump system. The dry sump system comes with all cars GSs that come with a manual transmission. I put on a Eddlebrock eForce Super Charger on my car. There are two kits. One for manuals and one for Automatics. The manual transmission version has another package for the dry sump system. They did not they ask if I had a convertable or coupe, just which transmission I have. A good friend had a 2010 GS coupe with an automatic and he didn't have a dry sump system. So it's the transmissoin not the convertable that determines if there is a dry sump system. :happyanim:

Not quite true

I have a 2011 Grand Sport Corvette. I have a manual transmission and dry sump system. It's the transmission, not the top that determines if it has a dry sump system. A friend has a 2010 GS with an automatic transmission and he does not have a dry sump system. Guess Chevy figured people might race the manual transmission version and not the automatic version so the dry sump system was not include. Be happy you don't have it. To check your oil, there is a window of 5 to 20 mins after you shut the engine down to check the oil. Makes it difficult to check the oil when you stop for gas. Because there is a range, I find that the quantity moves up and down a 1/2 quart depending on when you check the oil.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom