Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Who Built Your Grand Sport Engine?

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.
2010 convertible

I have a 2010 corvette grand sport convertible with Manuel trans. no dry sump. It was never mentioned at the dealer. I was under the impression that it had the dry sump along with the trunk battery, etc.

convertible

I have a 2010 corvette grand sport convertible with Manuel trans. no dry sump. It was never mentioned at the dealer. I was under the impression that it had the dry sump along with the trunk battery, etc.

That's unusual. I have had mine for a year now and was told by my dealer that the dry sump was with all manual transmission Grand Sports. The dry sump system is for racing. Since convertibles can't race legally, they might not have it, but mine coupe, has a top that comes off and can't qualify for racing either. I'll ask my dealer the next time I'm there and do a little digging and find out. Like I mentioned, the dry sump system is not all it's cracked up to be. Cost me another $2500 when I had an eforce supercharger installed and then there is the 5min to 20 min window for checking it. I had 2 C6s before it and they were fine with out it. Only good thing about it is that some one hand made my engine. I just hope he had a good night before he made it. I haven't been able to find my name tag. When my dealer installed my Edelbrock, he may have taken it off, I'll have to check with him. When I get a chance, I'll spend a day and really check for it. Texted my buddy who is the corvette expert at my dealers. I'll get to the bottom of this.

The dry sump on GS's is only on the coupe with manual trans only . A convertible with a manual trans will NOT get the dry sump or the hand assembled engine.

From my Dealer

I am told by my chevy dealer that my engine was built at a plant where all other LS 3's were built. No dry sump, engine built by a group of people, what other thing will turn up next? Is it true, is the convertible grand sport the step child corvette?

I checked with my buddy at my dealership who knows more about corvettes that most of Chevy. He said he called the factory and they said some of the early GSs with manual transmissions went out with out a Dry Sump but that later ones all have it on manual transmissions. Yours must be an early version of the GS in 2010. You could also go to the factory website at bowling green and ask them directly. They should know for sure since they build it. The website has a question page you can send them an email on. Their website is Bowling Green Assembly Plant - Home of the Corvette Hope this helps.

mine is a 2012 GS vert, manual tranny and no dry sump oil system. mine would take about 6 quarts to change. I also tried to look for this plate and can't find it.

mine is a 2012 GS vert, manual tranny and no dry sump oil system. mine would take about 6 quarts to change. I also tried to look for this plate and can't find it.
If you don't have a dry sump oil system, then your have a regular engine, not a hand built one. Only the 427s and the 372 with dry sump are hand build and should have a plate. I can't find my plate, but I also had a eForce supercharge and it could have been taken off when they installed it.

According to the 2013 Corvette website, the manual-equipped 427 convertible does come with a dry sump version of the LS7, which would necessitate a rear-mounted battery. If this is accurate, then theoretically it would now be possible for them to begin installing the hand-built, dry-sump LS3s into GS convertibles...if they chose to do so.

There are three production Corvette engines currently assembled at the GM Performance Build Center at Wixom, MI.

LS9
LS7
LS3 dry sump

Dry sump LS3s are in 2010-2013 Grand Sport Coupes with six-speed manuals and RPO Z52.

Cars with manuals and no Z52 have wet sump LS3s which are built at an automated plant in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.

On an LS3 dry sump, to see the name plate, you have to remove the right side "beauty cover".

I have an early 10 Grand Sport...1834 vin...6sp Z52....and Rick Dadd built the motor......Rick..love ya man......it is a bad azz car....:happyanim:

builder

Chuck DeKubber built mine - 2013 GS coupe. He was the builder recently of the 100th million small block engine.

Still Don't know.

Still not sure who built mine. I had an eforce super charger put on, and I never have found the tag saying who built it. Where is the tag? Can someone take a picture so I can see where it should be? Mine is a 2011 GS.

Mike Priest built the engine in my 2010GS M6 Coupe.............Thank you Mike.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom