Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who Works on Your Vette?

Who Works on Your Vette?

• Total voters
awesome, THANKS!

well as i get older the list of things i do or try to do gets shorter but theres always the money factor

I worked on my electrical system all last winter. After "repairing" all the damaged wires, installing the new interior items, and getting everything buttoned back up, I kept blowing fuses. Last week, I finally decided to take my car to a specialty shop. I got my car back today - everything works! Ralph

You got lucky. One success story does not negate the multitudes of screwings most folks experience.

My all time favorite was taking my '96 vette in for a squeak in the rear end, a radio problem and one bad horn. It had an aftermarket warranty that came with the car. The shop (a vette specialty shop here in Austin) said it was worn wheel bearings. ( with 25K miles on the car I thought ???... whatever). He replaced the bearings, the horn and sent the radio out for repair at the same time. When I got it back the shifter plate was broken, the console lid wouldn't close without help, the rear had the (now familiar) "creaking sailing ship" noise when I accelerated, both horns blew but it had a monotonic sound (sounded weird) and I found later that the U-joint strap bolts on the halfshafts were left halfway unscrewed. Later in the evening when I stopped at a store to do some shopping and when i turned off the lights I found that the left headlight door was whacking the aftermarket horn everytime it closed. I bent the bracket it was mounted to by hand there in the parking lot so I could get the headlight to close without striking the horn.

I ended up paying about $500 for stuff the warranty wouldn't cover. He charged about another $1000 for the bearings. After getting the run-around about the problems and being told that the horn was an aftermarket replacement for a now-unavailable (this was in 1999) factory note horn. I took it to a Chevy dealer that told me the "creaking" problem was no antiseize stuff on the brake bracket. I thought this guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about so I spent more money to let them tear it down and apply the antiseize. Got it back and a week later it was creaking again. Took it back in and they worked on it two more times and finally tried making me feel bad by telling me that they fixed the creak sound by replacing all the halfshaft U-joints, (a lie) and it was no charge. Well I did feel bad for accusing them of not doing a good job but about 2 days of driving later it was back again. I just lived with it for a while, and then about 4 months or so later the right rear bearing suddenly went out completely. I felt there was no way out but to give it a try myself so I went down to O-Reilly's (Hi-Lo O-Reilly's I think it was back then) and bought new wheel bearings and a tube of antiseize and replaced them myself and guess what... NO MORE CREAKING NOISE !!!

BTW, I found the factory original horn available over the counter at the chevy dealer, no problems.

So after it was all said and done I would have been better off paying the shop $500 for some advice... just inform me that they could not actually work on corvettes and I needed to go do the work myself in my garage. As it was I payed for the fix and then had to buy the parts and do it again myself. Looking back I don't think there was anything wrong with the wheel bearings anyway, the car was too new then.

My all time favorite was taking my '96 vette in for a squeak in the rear end
...SNIP...
So after it was all said and done I would have been better off paying the shop $500 for some advice... just inform me that they could not actually work on corvettes and I needed to go do the work myself in my garage. As it was I payed for the fix and then had to buy the parts and do it again myself. Looking back I don't think there was anything wrong with the wheel bearings anyway, the car was too new then.

It's horror stories like this that lead me to try to do everything myself. If it's the first time i just go slow and ask questions when needed. I have yet to do body and paint but it is in my future.

steve

That Horror story makes me appreciate the exceptional Corvette Shop I have a few miles from my house. While he only works on Vettes, he took a look at my '73 Eldo Convertible to figure out why the top goes up part way and stops. I've been to two other shops and spent $500 to find this ghost... In 10 minutes my Vette guy says "your Caddy needs an alternator". :duh

You have to appreciate (and pay for talent), the Eldo's top works fine now.

Ralph

I'd LOVE to have it. I heard there was a video out on rebuilding Muncies but haven't taken the time yet to find the source of it and where to get it. Having it on DVD would be even better because I can play that in most rooms of the house including my office but we only have one VCR around and that barely works anymore.

As long as it's not too much trouble I would greatly appreciate it. No rush as I won't be for a couple months until i can get to the job but when you get around to burning it onto DVD PM me and I can give you my mailing address.

THANKS!!!

Barry

Barry,

I sent the DVD to you last week. Hopefully, it made it to you.

Ralph

I do all my own work except for alignments, and tire mount & balance (only because I don't have the space or budget for the machines)

jasonsphotos007.jpg

000_0515.jpg

b289e35b.jpg

needtofixarun.jpg

TPIComplete.jpg

Pacecarspoileryellow004.jpg

Dr.jpg

Over here, I do the basics, but leave the real work to a real mechanic. I don't have the time nor the tools to accomplish most jobs, nor do I have the knowledge. Yes, I can likely retrieve the knowledge via various sources, but running around between various sources for every little step involved in the project, I'd rather just pay my mechanic.

I don't kid myself. I'm a computer geek, not a mechanic. And all the years of experience my mechanic has can't be taught to me over a weekend project. However, I am fortunate enough that I can work on my car alongside my mechanic, so I do learn a couple things along the way.

And yeah, we always hear about the joy and/or pride that comes from completing a project yourself. But in the 14 years of owning my car and it's continuing evolution, I've never been more happy than when I'm behind the wheel driving it. I don't care who does the work. When it does what it's supposed to do, that's my joy. Having my car the way I want it is the pride part.

All in all, I'm fortunate enough to have an ace mechanic that I trust 100%. And in truth, it's one of the major things that 'scares' me about moving out of state-- losing my mechanic.

Holy crap . I'm impressed. Great job. Good talents.

Thanks Bird. The compliment is greatly appreciated.
Honestly I got a lot of insight from members of all the forums. "The good advice" was very helpful when I neede it. Thanks again :)

Just purchased a 81 2 weeks ago and Ill be doing all the wrench bending myself. Ill agree that most shops dont work on old cars much. This car was owned by a non mechanic. Any major repairs where sent out (I have repair recepts) but simple items where left untouched. Horn not working, missing light bulbs, door locks ect. After climbing under car yesterday I checked out recent half shaft and exhaust repairs. Although drive line and shafts looked ok the exhaust work is marginal. Holy crap I can weld better than that with my feet. Seems mechanics in shops never pay much attention to detail as use vette owners do. I think fixing them is half the fun of owning them. Dad was a machinst for fisher body so I had a good teacher. And a ton of tools.

Well, since I'm completely restoring mine I guess you could say that I do everything myself (see website in sig). So far the only things I haven't done is the engine block machining and rear wheel bearing installation. It's turning out to be a lot more work than I thought though.

Luckily, when I'm done all I'll need to do is routine maintenance. I can't wait! :)

Well, since I'm completely restoring mine I guess you could say that I do everything myself (see website in sig). So far the only things I haven't done is the engine block machining and rear wheel bearing installation. It's turning out to be a lot more work than I thought though.

Luckily, when I'm done all I'll need to do is routine maintenance. I can't wait! :)

I checked out your web page... VERY, VERY cool. Keep up the excellent work, and keep us all posted! It sure will be nice to see that Stingray on the road!

Ralph

I spent a considerable amount of time on your web page as well and ....WOW. Very intense! A lot of work. Your Vette will be looking real nice soon...Great Work...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom