Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whose getting what?

roger longman

Corvette
1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
I remember reading a post from someone saying that he got 33mpg on a run, in a 1984 vette, the best I've managed is 27. Can anyone tell me how he might have done it. Also, what sort of mileage are you other guys getting? I think it will be interesting to see the different results. Roger.

With my '88 I average about 18 with a mix of city/highway driving. Most runs of strictly highway miles I get around 28. I have gotten a high of 31 once. The stars must have aligned just right with the weather giving me a perfect mix of temp/humidity and the wind at my tail.

This is with an auto trans and the 2.59 rear gear.

Makes me feel better, I have an identical set up. A bit surprised nobody else is coming in on this.Has the subject already been done to death and I just haven't seen it ? Roger.

Well I average 28 on the highway and around 18 city, six speed, 3:45 gears.

tcxd40

Your right foot will have more to do with it than anything.

I drive with cruise as much as I can and one or two mph under the limit. I used to love the speed but now I just enjoy the drive. :)

I drive a 89 automatic that is bone stock except mufflers and an airfoil. I average 22 city and about 27/28 hwy.

I have a 1984 coupe and I've put a Hypertech 'Street' chip in the ECM and a K&N air filter and I get about 27-28 MPG on the highway and about 15-17 in the city. The ECM chip really improves the shift points in the Automatic transmission. Much smoother and better gas milage.

I guess it depends what "City" you're in. Los Angeles has way too many stop lights, 4 way stops and no roundabouts . Oh and now they've spent $15 million "syncing" the lights around LAX it's much worse ! Roger.

Your right foot will have more to do with it than anything.
I agree most of the time I get poor mileage but last summer I made a trip out of state and drove to get mileage and got 33mpg.

Interesting thread. It seems that the car & driver may have a lot to do with it. My 93 350/auto/cpe gets about 16/18 around town. On long trips I am always surprised with the consistent 30/31. Not a quirk, I make the trek from Shepherdstown, WV to Jax., FL at least ten time a year(what is wrong with me?). Speed is between 65-70 on cruise and I run the tires 2lbs above recommeded inflation pressure(just on the highway). A buddy of mine has an 89 and gets 14 in town but regularly averages 31/33 on the highway, base eng/6spd/cpe. I don't calculate for my 65 365/4spe/cpe. I just stop every two hours of engine run time and fill up (it is the price for driving a legend besides my kidneys can't take the abuse, I am after all a geezer).

Good GRIEF! How in the WORLD do you guys get 30+ MPG?? :confused I guess I have to drive to Savannah again since I tuned it up and see if my mileage varies. When I am on the highway here in Atlanta I always use cruise and go no more than 5 above.

I remember reading a post from someone saying that he got 33mpg on a run, in a 1984 vette, the best I've managed is 27. Can anyone tell me how he might have done it. Also, what sort of mileage are you other guys getting? I think it will be interesting to see the different results. Roger.

I think that was me !:D

When i drove my vette home, from Lamy, New Mexico to Omaha, NE
I was averaging about 29 to 30, and with a good wind at my backside more.... it varies on your right foot and how fast you're driving....I would drive 2-3 mph under the limit and achieve about 31-33. i would clear out the avg mpg memory and instant mpg memory and tally it up at the end of the trip and end up with some good numbers

Yes, I am always suspedt of my calculations. However, for the last two years on my trek it has been consistent. Some wags around my office contend that it is because I am going down hill (I-81 South) which actually is going up hill (rivers in the Shenandoah Valley flow north). I can usually get from WV to the Lake Norman NC area without any stress or low fuel alerts. However, if I stop in Salem, VA & Statesville, NC it goes down fairly quickly to the 28/29.5 range(I know I really have to get a life). I use the same methodology[?] on my 97 Sierra 4WD with full cap. I get about 12 on a good day around town. But on the same route I get 20.5/21. It is a 6,000lb barn door I am pushing down the road (no load) with the same speeds and tire set up. If I drive faster than the ranges specified the milage drops like it went off a cliff. If I drive slower the milage creeps up to around 23/26 in the vette and 16/18 in the Sierra. Also I run 92/93 octane from Cheveron/Suncoco/Shell/Exxon-Mobile; in the Sierra I run the same brands at 87 octane(and they all have Enthanol at that grade). I don't think I am a geezer driver, not many cars or trucks pass me but I don't seem to pass that many either. I feel very lucky and still don't believe it; that is why I keep checking(?)! I may be doing something wrong.

I have not posted in this thread, but have watched it. I get about 18 average (calculated by hand...miles driven/gallons used) The best I have done is 28.2 (all highway cruise set, little if any wind...a real treat in Kansas :D). I have found that my 94 auto w/3.07 gears, has a "sweet spot" at about 72mph if I drive there, the mileage is considerably better than at 68mph. Judged by dash instant mpg readings and backed up by hand calculations. This is just about 2100 rpm.

Tom, yes a sweet spot, couldn't think of it this moring(taxes make my brain mush). That seems to be where it is for me as well, but I don't actually look at those metrics. Instead I 'feel" it. I am a geezer so tactile is my preference. When the car seems to be running real easy, it gets "quieter" not quiet but the ride smoothes out, it feels real stable, vibrations drop off or offset each other. Response is more silky and nuanced. It is like when a ski boat gets up on the "step" or say an A-4 or F-4 dynamically trims up. Clearly the optimum balance for the machine and for the driver, where they become extensions of each other. Anyway that is how I rationalize it. I am just happy to have the experience and the car.

Hi everyone, I know I'm going to get the "yea right" but the best consumption figure I achieved from here to Pheonix, 391 miles, 6 years ago, was 27mpg. I did it in 3hrs 40mins, that's averaging 107 mph. I've done the trip several times since at much slower overall speeds and the best I've got is 25.5! I'd appreciate anyones thoughts. Roger.

Hi everyone, I know I'm going to get the "yea right" but the best consumption figure I achieved from here to Pheonix, 391 miles, 6 years ago, was 27mpg. I did it in 3hrs 40mins, that's averaging 107 mph. I've done the trip several times since at much slower overall speeds and the best I've got is 25.5! I'd appreciate anyones thoughts. Roger.

I'm not going to argue with you.....Recently I watched a video of a ZR-1 (92 I think) where he was running 135-140 and the fuel consumption was showing 13.5mpg! Totally amazing.

I am not going to argue either. I am ,however, fairly certain that my vette wouldn't do that. The milage goes down hill fairly quickly above the "sweet spot". Besides for me, just me, I feel I have to work to hard above 80 to really enjoy the ride. In addition we have the "whitle tail plague" here and although one would think l selection would have resulted in a smarter population they are even more prone evey year to do that incrdiable thing of walking in front of a car and stopping and looking at it run them down(??) Cnversely, they also will run into your car. Since we moved to WV 19 years ago I have been struck four times while I was standing still. They just ran off the side of the road and smack into my vehicle. I still ponder each and everyone of these events. I clearly have more than one problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom