Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

why do i need an X-pipe?

Sick-Vette,
If you keep the H pipe, because of the balancing of exhaust pressures, you get what sounds like a motor boat "gurgle" sound on deceleration. Some people hate that noise, some people love it. It comes down to your personal preference. If you don't like the motor boat gurgle sound, the way to get rid of it is to switch out the H pipe.

:w
-Patrick

Sick-Vette,
If you keep the H pipe, because of the balancing of exhaust pressures, you get what sounds like a motor boat "gurgle" sound on deceleration. Some people hate that noise, some people love it. It comes down to your personal preference. If you don't like the motor boat gurgle sound, the way to get rid of it is to switch out the H pipe.

-Patrick
Hi Patrick,
i was thinking of going with the Magnaflow system and with the stock X-pipe or take off the X-pipe(no X-pipe) .. what do you think?????

Joe

Sick-Vette,
The Magnaflow sounds good. Personally, I have a Borla Stinger, and I love the sound. I also have the X-pipe on mine, which means I get the popping/gurgling sound when I take my foot off the gas and coast. The noise doesn't bother me.

If you don't mind that popping/gurgling sound when you take your foot off the gas, I'd say go for the Magnaflow.

-Patrick

Sick-Vette,
The Magnaflow sounds good. Personally, I have a Borla Stinger, and I love the sound. I also have the X-pipe on mine, which means I get the popping/gurgling sound when I take my foot off the gas and coast. The noise doesn't bother me.

If you don't mind that popping/gurgling sound when you take your foot off the gas, I'd say go for the Magnaflow.

-Patrick
i like the popping/gurgling sound, thats what im looking for so do i keep the x-pipe or take it off?

I am confused here....I thought if you had the X pipe it cut down on the gurggling and pops? I have a Corsa Touring with the upgraded
H pipe,I love the motor boat and gurggles.:confused

Articulate That Right Side Peddle

Hotwing is 100% correct. Le't make it even clearer:
  • H pipe = more popping and gurgling
  • X pipe = less popping and gurgling
I have a Borla Stinger system with an X pipe. The exhaust sounds very nice on decel. A little popping but very smooth overall. Excell and decell above 4,000 RPM is almost Formula 1 esk.
Remo:cool

QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

h-pipe

i have the stock h pipe with flowmasters, the poping is so loud i think it scares people next to the car. i look over and give them the thumbs up and usually they return that blank stupid look, like what the hell was that. i love it. flows are not as loud as stingers and cost a lot less. for my money i 'll keep the flowmasters:) :) :) :) :) .:)

i have the stock h pipe with flowmasters, the poping is so loud i think it scares people next to yhe car. i look over and give them the thumbs up and usually they return that blank stupid look, like what the hell was that. i love it. flows are not as loud as stingers and cost a lot less. for my money i 'll keep the flowmasters:) :) :) :) :) .:)

Billy - have some pity for the general public.:L

Aside from reducing the pops and gurggles......why would I "need an X pipe"?
;shrug

Aside from reducing the pops and gurggles......why would I "need an X pipe"?
;shrug

Do you NEED an X-pipe over the factory installed H-Pipe? No. Just like you don't NEED a Borla or Corso Exhaust upgrade over the factory original.

As a matter of personal preference, however, many Corvette owners don't like the popping, gurgling, motor boat sound their Vette makes upon deceleration. The only way to get rid of it is to change out the pipe configuration to one which balances pressures a bit more to remove the sound. That change is the X-Pipe.

Again, this a matter of personal preference, NOT "need." Matters of personal taste are entirely subjective.

-Patrick

Nylon Jacket and a Turned Up Collar

No X-pipe, glass packs, blue dot tail lights and a James Dean hair cut. Liv'en in the 50's. Cool man....cool.

QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

ToX or not toX

i like the popping/gurgling sound, thats what im looking for so do i keep the x-pipe or take it off?

I have a B&B quad tip bullet system on my car. With the stock H pipe it sounded like a boat when it idled and it would actually backfire when you took your foot off of the gas. I eliminated that by installing a Magnaflow Xpipe.
Now it has a great tone and just enough popping when you back off so that it sounds cool.
To answer your question-if you like the gurgling sound and excessive popping then go with the stock Hpipe-if not then install theXpipe!
Good luck-sometimes you have to experiment to get what you want!:upthumbs

No X-pipe, glass packs, blue dot tail lights and a James Dean hair cut. Liv'en in the 50's. Cool man....cool.

Remo... I agree. And as I've demonstrated recently, "Cool" is an essential component of the Corvette.
;)

-Patrick

The X Thing

Hey man - if you "dig" the fifties don't get one of these.

BORLAXPIPE.jpg

Stick with the old H-pipe and get that righteous popping
on decel. The Harley guys will dig it too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom