Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why do people tailgate Corvettes?

I see from the comments that my tailgate persecution complex is not just my imagination. I have cruised close to vettes in the past to get a better look and listen to the excellent exhaust note in the past, not out of agression, but respect and admiration.

Dawn (chevyaddict) made an astute observation that we bring this on ourselves by driving an enviable automobile. Some people do resent anything that reminds them of their mundane, imprisoned lifestyles. I drive mine to be a bit removed from the norm, and that has always gotten attention, good and bad I guess.

We share the nuisances as well as the fantastic pleasures of driving a Corvette, any year, any color, any condition. I'm glad to get to know y'all better because of it.

tlong said:
This guy in a Dodge Ram pickup was glued to my ass for 10 miles heading in to work. Even the simultaneous stop sign routine, him using my stop and hanging on my bumper. Did I owe this puke money? This is far from the first time, and only in this car. James Bond oil slick? Roofing tacks? It freaks me out every time!

Please tell me I'm not alone, and give me some suggestions on managing this situation. Reaching for the pistola is not the answer.
You didnt hear this from me.

keep a stash of pennys handy, whe they tail gate you flip one up in the air, they tend to get the message soon after that....trust me.

Oh boy! I have a few comments here.

Vettes are even rarer than Lamborghinis here in Euro-land where they would not recognize a torque curve if it nailed them in the @$$. I refuse to be drawn into conflict between the lights or anywhere else in a built up area but on the open road it is a different story. I have yet to meet the Euro-Trash that can stay with Thunder up to 150MPH!

Even worse than the ricer types are the women in BMW X5s when I have had enough I pull them up to around 120MPH while entering a 50MPH curve…if they stay on the road they are usually so $#!t scared that they slow down for a few miles.

You guys think it's bad in a vette?? Try being on a bike (motorcycle) and have some bozo do that. Kinda brings out the pucker factor, if you know what I mean. I used to carry some small rocks in my jacket pocket for just such people. All you had to do was pull the rock from your pocket, and just let it go, didn't even have to toss it. Gives the guy behind you one heck of a scare and he backs off. Luckily for me, I've matured in my driving over the years and don't carry rocks anymore.

Just a potato with nails in it......the nails are for weight!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!
(Only Kidding!!)

Back in the 60s when the USA was very bike-unfriendly I was taught this trick; carry a zip lock bag full of old, old, used in a truck, motor oil. Smash this across the offending vehicles windshield and watch how quickly he backs off. By the time he gets the windshield clean enough to dive again you will be safely on your way. The guy who taught me this was a one-legged Florida Motorcycle Cop…He lost his leg due to a stupid driver cutting him off while he was answering a ¨silent¨ 911 call.

thank-u

newbie in da house, and very glad to be here...:D

i thought it was me being paranoid and maybe it's just the way the car sits , but i thought everyone was tailgateing me:mad

i have only had my vette for about 3 weeks and it is very special to me as i'm sure everyone feels a certain way about their car as you should. these cars are special but that doesent me the person in the car is any better than anyone else. just different:Twist :booty sometimes very!!!!!

it has taken me 23 yrs. to get the car i looked at in winter of 81......... i robbed peter to pay paul..... or borrowed from scott to pay charles , but thats not what this is about.

i have driven hot cars before , sometimes not very smart and i am very thankful that the few time when things got
out of hand my cars and me where the only one's that got hurt....:bash

so i guess now in this place of orange cones and chuckholes i drive real carefull , which does not sit well with other drivers. in my truck i do a little over the speed limit , but when i drive the vette i like to cruise and wave :w
driving a 4speed from a red light uphill with a bad
egr valve and fouled plugs is no fun when everytime u move forward so does the vehicle behind u:r

i have read all the threads in this post and it has helped me be the calm cool person i was put here to be:Steer

i'm pulling pearl out tomarrow with all new tune up parts and a better understanding of how being tailgated & given that evileye feels like to other vette owners.

wave ya later

I have been on vaction now for a week and just now looked at this thread. Boy \\\\\\great thread folks. While on vaction I have taken the vette for a couple of cruses. Only had a couple of tailgaters. Just to make things clear, I do own an '03 Dodge Ram 3500. No not the Hemi, a Cummins. I use the Dodge to tow the vette when I go to places like Carlise, PA. I love my PU and I don't tailgate when I am driving it. Although, when I do have the vette loaded up I have all kinds of people who will ride up beside me and just hang there looking at both the car and the truck. I guess they cannot figure why is a Dodge pulling such a good looking car down the road;). I look at it this way, I bought the truck for hauling...not racing, I bought the vette for crusing....not racing. If I really wanted to race I'd go and buy something for the dragstrip. The other day while going down the road in the Dodge, something hit the windsheld of the truck. I thought at first it was a bug. When I stopped to take a better look I found that it was a ricer who had been splattered on the windsheld;LOL.
Next month the '86 will be off the road for several months while it has a make-over. So I will be vetteless for several months. Great Thread guys and like others, I too have often wondered if others with vettes had experiances as well.
Cheers, and be safe.

Well; It´s a small, small, World

Now I know, there´s no use for me to move up north to get away from all the ricers and tailgaters that love the rear end of my Vette down here!!! :(

I was hopping it was just a local plague. :confused But after reading all these posts and seeing myself reflected in most of them; I´ll just keep on using the same strategy: 1.- move to my righ line
not working? 2.- slow down
not working? 3.- PEDAL TO METAL! (sad to say; 9 out 10 this is the solution) ;shrug

Have a nice ride! :w
Jorge

I never had this issue in my vette, I drive it like I drive my Breeze, SUV or pickup.

Other drivers are scary.

The other evening when I was driving home from work down a one-lane 40mph road, there was some guy in a Camry that was in such a hurry I thought he was going to shove his Toyota up my Vette's bum! I was going about 45mph and he started tailgating me so close that I thought he was going to push me the rest of the way! I was so freaked out.. so after a few seconds of this, I just slowed waaay down to about 10mph. He then decided to use the oncoming traffic lane to attempt to pass me, so I figured 'uh uh.. he's not getting out of this THAT easy.' so I hit the gas to keep him behind me, and I made him take the whole 2 mile trip down that road at 10mph. J3rk. :(

Sevale said:
The other evening when I was driving home from work down a one-lane 40mph road, there was some guy in a Camry that was in such a hurry I thought he was going to shove his Toyota up my Vette's bum! I was going about 45mph and he started tailgating me so close that I thought he was going to push me the rest of the way! I was so freaked out.. so after a few seconds of this, I just slowed waaay down to about 10mph. He then decided to use the oncoming traffic lane to attempt to pass me, so I figured 'uh uh.. he's not getting out of this THAT easy.' so I hit the gas to keep him behind me, and I made him take the whole 2 mile trip down that road at 10mph. J3rk. :(
Was he perhaps evacuating from Hurricane Ivan?

Craig (Z06ADCT)

I guess I don't notice the tailgating all that much here in Southern California. Or maybe I'm the one who tailgates? ;)

Whenever someone tailgates me on the Vette, I just poke on the gas pedal a little and that usually gets rid of them. If they insist on keeping up with me, then I downshift and use up about 2/3 throttle. 99% of the time that does it and the tailgater is gone until I let them catch up--if I let them.....

At night, I always just flip the rear view to dim. The Corvette is a low slung car with a short rear end, so almost any tall vehicle will have its headlights bugging the driver.

I did have a run in with a Dodge Ram Hemi once. Yeah. I think their drivers "believe" their trucks suddenly are the fastest thing on 4 wheels! :L It didn't take much to walk away from that Ram Hemi, and I have an L98 automatic! Once they get taught that 1st lesson, they usually get smart and behave the next time they encounter a Vette. People have forgotten how fast these cars are.

Rogue said:
I guess I don't notice the tailgating all that much here in Southern California. Or maybe I'm the one who tailgates? ;)

Whenever someone tailgates me on the Vette, I just poke on the gas pedal a little and that usually gets rid of them. If they insist on keeping up with me, then I downshift and use up about 2/3 throttle. 99% of the time that does it and the tailgater is gone until I let them catch up--if I let them.....

At night, I always just flip the rear view to dim. The Corvette is a low slung car with a short rear end, so almost any tall vehicle will have its headlights bugging the driver.

I did have a run in with a Dodge Ram Hemi once. Yeah. I think their drivers "believe" their trucks suddenly are the fastest thing on 4 wheels! :L It didn't take much to walk away from that Ram Hemi, and I have an L98 automatic! Once they get taught that 1st lesson, they usually get smart and behave the next time they encounter a Vette. People have forgotten how fast these cars are.
The Dodge marketing and advertizing team has done a good jom on the HEMI. I started a Hemi thread inthe roadkill lounge.

Craig

There are several cars out there that are quicker than a stock C4...That is why god made the 400 crank fit into the 350 block...It still looks so stock unless you are watching it pull away from you.:D

tailgaters, jealousy lol

I live in a small town and havent really noticed to much, then again I don't drive my vette to much. I will watch when I take her out again in a couple weeks. I do however, hear you talking about people staring and ooodling over a vette and wanting to get closer. Personaly, I do that even when in my vette. The corvette is such a beautiful car and so sexy, I can't help myself lol. Doesn't matter what year or color or whatever, I just wanna see them all. I love them and so happy to finally own my very own.

This is a problem no matter what you're driving. Add to this the fact that they're also fiddling with their radios and cell phones and it is a recipie for disaster. When in the Vette, you're sitting pretty low so you're probably just more aware of it then. My favorite trick is to crawl to a stop at an intersection to time my arrival such that another car might get in between them and me. I've been known to loose my cool and force them to the side of the road for "feedback" too but that's getting very dangerous these days, so I don't recommend it. Too bad it isn't legal for citizens to administer corporal punishment on the roadways. Driving curteousy would be much improved if the pukes thought they might get their feathers pinned back. I usually have my top down and I sometimes dream about how much fun it would be to simply lob a fragmentation grenade thru their windshield.

This is great thread, glad it was found and resurrected. I have actually noticed that people don't tail gate me or drive like jack butts around the Vette. Heck, i get more a-holes doing that when I'm in my Focus. IDK, maybe its the fact that if they hit it, its gona be big money to fix it. I'm 21, so I get to avoid the whole, I'm a big rich snob routiune. Although, I have had people ask me if daddy bought it for me or if I inheritied it. I try to be nice, and I just say no, I bought it with my OWN money, thank you. Being 21, I realize most people would think that, but that is NOT the case. I earn this car. One car payment at a time.

I love the attention, espcelly from the female species, they LOVE Corvettes, it has to be the car, definitly NOT me.

When I didn't have a Vette, I would always try to catch up to a Vette in view just to get my fill of AWE and drool etc... And to see who was driving...hopefully a hot chick.

Now the roles are changed around...I suppose some people have a bit vof disapointment when they see it's only me.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

It happens to me almost every time I take her out. The other night, as I was going to pick up my daughter from work, this guy in a beemer plasters himself on my rear bumper. All I could see was face in my rear view. So------ I just gradually came to a complete stop, which completely stopped him. The funniest part was watching him squealing away at high speed. Oh- forgot to mention- when I finally caught up to him, he was pulled over by an Edison cop. Justice done
thumbsup.gif

I just slow down a bit,you want to annoy me,I figure if you want to be a jerk Ill give you a reason for it.And most of the time its some moron in a truck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom