Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why haven't you bought a C6 yet?

:) I like the C-5 better.....I guess I am just use to the headlights on Vettes....just my 2.......:D

bluecoupe said:
I guess 600 extra pounds pushed it over the limit. 16 city 25 hwy mpg. Corvette manual shift is 19 and 28 mpg. I like Cadillac's 4 year warranty. That offsets the extra cost a bit.
If you buy a 2005 Lamborghini L-147/148 Murcielago the gas guzzler tax is $7,700. Yikes!
The Energy Tax Act of 1978 established a Gas Guzzler Tax on the sale of new model year vehicles whose fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels. The gas guzzler tax applies only to cars (not trucks) and is collected by the IRS. The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value. The purpose of the Gas Guzzler Tax is to discourage the production and purchase of fuel inefficient vehicles. The amount of any applicable Gas Guzzler Tax paid by the manufacturer will be disclosed on the automobile's fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).

GAS GUZZLER TAX​
Unadjusted MPG(combined)*​
Tax

at least 22.5
No tax​

at least 21.5, but less than 22.5
$1000​

at least 20.5, but less than 21.5
$1300​

at least 19.5, but less than 20.5
$1700​

at least 18.5, but less than 19.5
$2100​

at least 17.5, but less than 18.5
$2600​

at least 16.5, but less than 17.5
$3000​

at least 15.5, but less than 16.5
$3700​

at least 14.5, but less than 15.5
$4500​

at least 13.5, but less than 14.5
$5400​

at least 12.5, but less than 13.5
$6400​

less than 12.5
$7700​

* The combined fuel economy MPG value (55 % city, 45 % highway) is used to determine tax liability. The MPG value is also adjusted slightly to account for differences in test procedures made since the base year. The MPG value is not adjusted for in-use short fall. The unadjusted combined MPG of a vehicle can be approximated from the city and highway values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide and on this website by the following equation:

(1/(.495/city MPG + .351/highway MPG))+.15​

Since this is an approximate calculation, the actual gas guzzler tax may be off by one tax bracket.​

Pretty interesting, but seems like everytime you turn around the government has figured out a new way to tax the working class. . . . and it is legal; but if I tried some of these creative ways I would be in the federal prison system.

Bill :w

Daryllawman said:
:) I like the C-5 better.....I guess I am just use to the headlights on Vettes....just my 2.......:D
Me too, I think doing away with the hidden head lights took something away from the look I like and what has become a trademark of the Coevette for a number of years. Maybe it will grow on me.

By the way I talked to someone today that read an article on the new C-6 Z06, and even though they have not released any actual pictures of it, the price range is going to be high 70k or close to 80k, :ugh but you are going to get 500hp and is suppose to be able to pounce all over the Viper! I haven't read the article yet.

Bill :w

c6

parked my c5 vert next to a blk c6 frc at the dealers today and my wife asked me what kind of car is that? was in jags for years and never had an earlier vette cause at 6'3 and 250lbs i couldn't get in one. love th c5, would not give it up, storage space for touring etc. why lop 6" off what i think is a world class design in the c5?

Why haven't I bought a C6 yet.....

.....well I can't exactly go down to the local Holden (GM) Dealer and put one on order. They don't have them in the line up! :mad

There should be a long bridge between Australia and the US so I can cruise on over and pick one up! :L
Just have to keep drooling and reading all the posts you guys have about the fun you are having in your new Vettes, lucky buggers!

Oh, well at least I can go get another Corona out of the fridge, that will help a little!
:beer

Tony

flander said:
parked my c5 vert next to a blk c6 frc at the dealers today and my wife asked me what kind of car is that? was in jags for years and never had an earlier vette cause at 6'3 and 250lbs i couldn't get in one. love th c5, would not give it up, storage space for touring etc. why lop 6" off what i think is a world class design in the c5?
there are no fixed roof coupes(frc) in the C-6 line up till 2006 when the ZO-6 comes out. the 01-04 ZO-6 was a fixed roof coupe, "the roof can not be removed"

Because I bought an '04 Z06 instead when I bought a new Vette 6 weeks ago. I like the back end and interior of the C6 but like the vertical back window/trunk design of the C6 Z06 better plus C6 is too "soft" for me - the C5 Z06's performance is edgier and more "pure" sports car than the C6 coupe is and I knew I could not afford the price of a new C6 Z06 (especially when you consider the 72 month 0% financing that I got on the Z06 along with the $46k price tag for a car with every option except museum delivery).

Kevin

motorman said:
i get a big bang out of people who do not own a C-6 telling every one what is wrong. there was no recall on the trans because they found out there was no problem and there has been no recall on the brakes. i my opinion the steering lock problem was cause by people pulling on the steering wheel after it was locked to get out of the car and causing the binding problem. the early 2000 impala had the steering lock and they never did a recall because there was no problem with the lock on the impala. they did away with the lock on ther later models because they went to a trans lock that locked the trans in park till you turned on the ignition the same as the auto trans corvettes including the C-6. i had 3 C-5s 2 with steering locks and never had a problem

Here goes:

04086 -- Rear Brake Lining Routing

2005 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2004 and 2005 model year Cadillac XLR vehicles, and 2005 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. The rear brake lines may contact other components or be affected by heat from them.

If contact occurs, the driver may hear a rattle noise. Over time, the contact could cause brake line wear-through resulting in a slow loss of brake fluid, which would appear as fluid spotting under the vehicle. On XLR vehicles, this could also create a visible puff of smoke when the brakes are applied. If enough fluid is lost, the performance of the rear brakes will be reduced, there would be an increase in brake pedal effort in order to achieve the desired braking, and the brake system warning light may illuminate on the instrument panel.

If the brake line on XLR vehicles is affected by heat, the fluid in the brake line could boil. The performance of the rear brakes will be reduced and there would be an increase in brake pedal effort in order to achieve the desired braking.

If this were to occur when stopping distance is limited, a crash could occur.

Correction
Dealers are to inspect, and reposition or secure if necessary, the rear brake lines to ensure that there is adequate clearance from other underbody components. On some vehicles, a machining tab on the rear differential housing may need to be removed to provide adequate clearance. The rear brake lines are to also be inspected and, if damaged, repaired.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette VIN breakpoints 55100321-55101325

99WhiteC5Coupe said:
Here goes:

04086 -- Rear Brake Lining Routing

2005 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2004 and 2005 model year Cadillac XLR vehicles, and 2005 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. The rear brake lines may contact other components or be affected by heat from them.

If contact occurs, the driver may hear a rattle noise. Over time, the contact could cause brake line wear-through resulting in a slow loss of brake fluid, which would appear as fluid spotting under the vehicle. On XLR vehicles, this could also create a visible puff of smoke when the brakes are applied. If enough fluid is lost, the performance of the rear brakes will be reduced, there would be an increase in brake pedal effort in order to achieve the desired braking, and the brake system warning light may illuminate on the instrument panel.

If the brake line on XLR vehicles is affected by heat, the fluid in the brake line could boil. The performance of the rear brakes will be reduced and there would be an increase in brake pedal effort in order to achieve the desired braking.

If this were to occur when stopping distance is limited, a crash could occur.

Correction
Dealers are to inspect, and reposition or secure if necessary, the rear brake lines to ensure that there is adequate clearance from other underbody components. On some vehicles, a machining tab on the rear differential housing may need to be removed to provide adequate clearance. The rear brake lines are to also be inspected and, if damaged, repaired.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette VIN breakpoints 55100321-55101325

=======================================================
Wow..recalls already:eyerole ...like everyone didn't expect it for a first modle year of the C6...so how many more recalls do you think there will be on the 2005 C6?....ok so maybe the recalls will appear as the mistakes appear...will they do a recall on the front license plate bracket placement:L

I'll likely have a C6Z06 in my future - sometime. But right now my Lingenfelter SC'd C5 with 20K miles suites my needs. I have driven a C6 and they are nice.

I'll be buying one just as soon as my dealer has one that is not Red,Yellow or Black that has Z51 and is a 6 spd. Also don't need the GPS or DVD nav. If I'm that lost I will ask directions. I have owned 4 C4's and 2 C5's and loved every single one. The C5 was a vast improvement over C4 and the C6 is big step ahead of C5. Just a matter of taste. Life is no dress rehearsal- Do what makes you feel good. Forget what everyone else thinks. Just my .02 worth.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom