Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why haven't you bought a C6 yet?

bluecoupe

Corvette
former C3&C5- future C7 when jr's college is paid
It seems like there are many C6s sitting unsold at Chevy Dealers even though some are offering fairly large discounts. Considering all the improvements and the massive media hype I would have thought people would be buying any C6 they could get their hands on.

Why haven't you C5 owners traded up to a C6 yet? Please don't just say you can't afford it. You found a way to afford your C5. Please think about the question. All facts, opinions and guesses are appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Frank (bluecoupe)
:v

Because I did not like it as much as the C5...

Compared both at the dealership in October and went with the '04 Z06, just liked it better. Pretty simple.

C6 is a nice car though, it just came in second place - which is still pretty good. :w

I assume you also have an opinion bluecoupe... you have an '01, where is your C6? :confused
:beer

They have a lot of little improvements, but the spirit just hasn't moved me yet. I'm also one of the minority who thinks the FRC look is the only way to go. I just don't like all that glass in the back.

Also, the thought of tossing about $15k away in depreciation in the first few years doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling either.

I'm waiting to see how hot the C6 Z06 is. The spirit might wake up then ;)

Tammy

I went to our local dealer and sat in a C6. They offered to let me take it for a ride, but I declined. It was nice, but to me the C5 was sooo refined with tons of power, I'm not ready to move up. After installing the 4.10 gears/exhaust/K&N, my Electron Blue 6 spd C5 is a rocket and "for now" satisfies my need for speed issues!

I'm with MsSchroder, the C6 Z06 is exciting me. The price tag of about 65K is reasonable considering what the competition has and their price.

Waiting and watching, but still very satisfied,

Chuck

ps bluecoupe: You started this, where's your C6???

The c6 is a great car! No question about it! If my 30,000 mile Z06 disappeared I'd buy a C6 although I'd probably reach for the C6 Z06 at this point..

I never cared about the removable roof in my 1999 C5 so thats not an issue for me..

500hp and sub 3000 lb curb weight with 19 or 20 inch rims with a dry sump oiling system ? now thats some cool Sh!t!

Not that I'm buying for years and years...but it sure sounds like a race car for the street.

Add a cam to your C-5 and it will be as fast or faster, to me the C-6 is not as much as leaps and bounds over the C-5 as was the C-5 was over the C-4.

David Gordon said:
Add a cam to your C-5 and it will be as fast or faster, to me the C-6 is not as much as leaps and bounds over the C-5 as was the C-5 was over the C-4.
that is because the C-4 was a terrible car. the big thing was how it shook in the dash and steering when going over a rought road. i always wanted a ZR-1 but every one i drove was a very loose car and i drove new ones at the dealership where my wife worked. the C-5 was a BIG leap in the stiffness of the car over a C-4 and i am sure that is why everybody dropped their C-4. i had a buddy who had a C-4 and told me that the C-5 was not worth the 25K difference they wanted TILL he drove mine and in 3 weeks he had a C-5. my C-6 is much better in every way than my # C-5s,steering comfort,power and just overall tightness of the car. there is a big improvement that is not visable just looking at the car. i do not buy cars for their LOOKS i buy them for their improvements over the previous car.

I don't buy 1st year models. I don't buy new cars. I'll let someone else absorb the "off the lot" depreciation. Let's see what bugs crawl out of the C6 for a bit.

Note: C4s still are, not were. The newer platform floated your boat, terrible is a strong opinion. Many find the terrible C4 just what the doctor ordered, and most can have any car they want. I'm not diverting this topic, just can't let that slip by!

Cheers

tlong

tlong said:
I don't buy 1st year models. I don't buy new cars. I'll let someone else absorb the "off the lot" depreciation. Let's see what bugs crawl out of the C6 for a bit.

Note: C4s still are, not were. The newer platform floated your boat, terrible is a strong opinion. Many find the terrible C4 just what the doctor ordered, and most can have any car they want. I'm not diverting this topic, just can't let that slip by!

Cheers

tlong
it all about the money because if the C-5 owners could trade for a C-6 even up they would all be at the dealers. there would be no complaining about the headlights,grill or the keyless start. :D

Motorman: That's not playing with reality. Of course many, many, many C5 owners would be trading if the dealers took C5 trades even up for a C6 ??? I'm not bashing, but with that statement, it would certainly be all about the money (or no money). You're inventing an unrealistic scenario.

Chuck

I must disagree. The new C6 has differences from C5s that many don't take as improvement. Personally I think it's a little funny looking from some angles, and they stole the Miata front end, the Viper side and the Lambo headlights. It just didn't set me on fire like the '63 or '68 or '84 or '97. Money really doesn't matter when your blood is boiling. Evidence of that is all around my house!

tlong said:
I must disagree. The new C6 has differences from C5s that many don't take as improvement. Personally I think it's a little funny looking from some angles, and they stole the Miata front end, the Viper side and the Lambo headlights. It just didn't set me on fire like the '63 or '68 or '84 or '97. Money really doesn't matter when your blood is boiling. Evidence of that is all around my house!
you mean if you were offered a even trade for your 96 would would say "no thanks i don't like the C-6" ???

hotmtrsports said:
Motorman: That's not playing with reality. Of course many, many, many C5 owners would be trading if the dealers took C5 trades even up for a C6 ??? I'm not bashing, but with that statement, it would certainly be all about the money (or no money). You're inventing an unrealistic scenario.

Chuck
that is what i am saying it has nothing to do with the complaints they have with the C-6 they would compromise their positions in a instant.

motorman said:
it all about the money because if the C-5 owners could trade for a C-6 even up they would all be at the dealers. there would be no complaining about the headlights,grill or the keyless start. :D
I for one would decline that offer in a heart beat. The reasons are simple:
1) Have yet to see a non-brushed metal interior. Till then then interior looks to euro trash to me. I want my entire interior black.
2) Keyless system equals high security risk and even higher failure point. Won't buy a C6 till the system is optional.
3) Front end has no place for a clean Lic Plate install.
4) My understanding of the Traction Control issues some people are complaining about leaves me thinking the C5 system is better. But this one I will test in person to be sure about.

That scenario has no logical premise, Motorman. If a benefactor offered that choice, of course I would because I just made $30,000.

To return to the question; my vette has the characteristics I personally enjoy. The value is unreal bang for bucks. I've driven several new ones and they are great, but, I guess the beloved '63 spoiled me rotten with the harsh ride, loud pipes, terrible gas mileage, cold leaking rag top and constant little problems...heaven!

"that is because the C-4 is a terrible car." Really?

motorman said:
that is because the C-4 was a terrible car. the big thing was how it shook in the dash and steering when going over a rought road. i always wanted a ZR-1 but every one i drove was a very loose car and i drove new ones at the dealership where my wife worked. the C-5 was a BIG leap in the stiffness of the car over a C-4 and i am sure that is why everybody dropped their C-4. i had a buddy who had a C-4 and told me that the C-5 was not worth the 25K difference they wanted TILL he drove mine and in 3 weeks he had a C-5. my C-6 is much better in every way than my # C-5s,steering comfort,power and just overall tightness of the car. there is a big improvement that is not visable just looking at the car. i do not buy cars for their LOOKS i buy them for their improvements over the previous car.
Thanks for saying my car is a terrible car. Makes my day. And while we are at it, if "everyone dropped their C4" as you say, then I guess I somehow got left out of the mad dropping frenzy that you seem to know so much about. I tend to agree with the others on their opinions of your comments Motormouth, oopps sorry Motorman. This ones for you......:bash
Oh, by the way, I like and appreciate all Corvette generations for what they are.....anyway no offence...just did not want to let your "terrible" comment slide by too easily..:v

Regarding the original thread question which is a good one; I really really like my Vette and find great pleasure in owning and driving it. When and if that thrill evaporates, then I will explore another Vette....could be a C6 or C5 or even a C2 or C3 or C4...I will know at the time what I might want. My neighbour has a C6 coupe on order and my neighbour on the other side has a C5 Vert in his garage. And I have a C4...somehow we are all quite happy....and lucky I might add.:D
RG

My 2 cents

Well, I don't own a vette yet. But I prefer the C5 a little more than the C6. Simply because I like the style/lines/design of the C5 a bit more.
Plus, the C5 is in my price range as the C6 is way out of it.

I just like the C5. I bought my 04 in January and could've waited for the C6's but the C6 just didn't do it for me. I also didn't want to buy a first year. I had the chance to sit in one at Carlisle and wasn't impresssed by the interior. I do however like the horsepower and some of the new improvements, I'm even getting used to the headlights. Maybe someday but for now the C5 is my favorite.

P.S. There's nothing wrong with the C4's, I like all Vettes.

:v

Go get that vette, chrisr. Not to be too philosophical, but it's later than you think. Nothing else will do. This is the PERFECT time to start shopping.

Why Not a C6

In my opinion, C6 buyers will be buying because of the technological improvements, additional horsepower, overall appearance or to be the "first on their block" to own the newest Corvette. To address the initial query: personally I like the styling of my C5 better than the C6. Also, if one wants to improve the horsepower of the C5 to C6 specs., then there are a multitude of options available from mild to wild. I have heard of some dealerships making offers on C5 trade-ins at ridiculously low ball figures. Maybe that why there is a glut of C6's on their lot. Know we all know that our C5 has a special place in our heart, but offering an insulting trade-in figure for it just won't cut it. I wonder how long it will take for somone to come out with an aftermarket kit for flip up headlights for the C6?

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom