Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why haven't you bought a C6 yet?

I am sooooo glad I didn't wait for the C6; couldn't be happier with my C5 FRC. The looks, the performance...a fellow member said it best when I was considering my purchase "I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there is not a day goes by that I get in and drive this car..that I have this sh!teating grin on this 45 year old face.." which should be the main reason why anyone buys and holds onto any vette.

On another note, late year C4 body styles are still my favorite.

ron: You said it right!

When I looked at a C6 in the showroom, the salesperson did check out my 02 C5 Conv and within minutes, the sales manager came out with this absurd trade value. They were counting on me being so excited about that C6 that it was a given I'd just jump at it. He blamed the wholesalers for the trade figure.

I told him that even with the thought of trading, I'll be his wholesale source and that if he comes across anybody that excepts the same trade number for their C5, I'll be a buyer for as many as he can muster up.......they haven't called me yet!!!

Chuck

tlong said:
Go get that vette, chrisr. Not to be too philosophical, but it's later than you think. Nothing else will do. This is the PERFECT time to start shopping.
The serious shopping starts next Monday the 27th, tlong!!:D There's a couple in my area I have my eye on, and hopefully, my goal is to have one no later than March 05. Plus I have a Harley I have to sell, which shouldn't pose too much of a problem. Other than that, "All systems are a go!!""

Hotmtrsports:

You have my car. I want it back NOW.:mad So sweet.

Chrisr:

That's great. Use the CAC to get r done. Lose the Harley and get the dream out of your head and into your driveway asap. Punch it up, look in the mirror and join the stupid grin club.:D

Sorry- off subject. Because we don't wanna.:Buttslap

tlong said:
Chrisr:

That's great. Use the CAC to get r done. Lose the Harley and get the dream out of your head and into your driveway asap. Punch it up, look in the mirror and join the stupid grin club.:D
Tlong, your right! The CAC has been a valuable souce of info and I can't wait until I do finally get the C5 so I can be more apart of "The Stupid Grin Club."

Skull One said:
I for one would decline that offer in a heart beat. The reasons are simple:
1) Have yet to see a non-brushed metal interior. Till then then interior looks to euro trash to me. I want my entire interior black.
2) Keyless system equals high security risk and even higher failure point. Won't buy a C6 till the system is optional.
3) Front end has no place for a clean Lic Plate install.
4) My understanding of the Traction Control issues some people are complaining about leaves me thinking the C5 system is better. But this one I will test in person to be sure about.
i bet you also believe in santa claus. :D

Eagle Flight said:
Compared both at the dealership in October and went with the '04 Z06, just liked it better. Pretty simple.

C6 is a nice car though, it just came in second place - which is still pretty good. :w

I assume you also have an opinion bluecoupe... you have an '01, where is your C6? :confused
:beer
Fair question Eagle Flight and hotmtrsports,
Any car that can run it the 14s is plenty quick where I am from (both time and place) and I rarely go over 90 MPH so My Corvette purchases are pretty much based on emotion. The C3 was my dream car ever since I was a pup and saw the Mako Shark II. The C4 was plenty great but I didn't feel that excited by its style. The C5 came out and the thrill was back. I had to have it. The C6 just doesn't move me. I looks to me like a gaudy custom C5 on the outside and every other car and SUV on the inside. It looks like it is trying to be too many things at once. Euro car, Japan car, exotic car, tuner car. I don't think it is awful it just seems like GM tried too hard please all of the people. It is still a great platform and machine but the style and all the wiz-bang gadgets are not my taste.

My wife's dream car is the 93 C4 40th Anniversary. So instead of trading the C5 for a C6 we will most likely get a 93 and keep the C5. It will end up costing about the same investment to have both used Corvettes instead of one new C6. Yes, the C5 is a stiffer car but the C4s are great machines too.

Frank (bluecoupe)

I haven't traded my C5 for a C6 because GM is famous for letting the buying public R&D the new models for them! You really never want to buy the first model of anything!:eyerole

C4 vs C5 vs C6

Lots of thought provoking opinions here... some I agree with, some I don't. I don't agree with the opinion that the C4 was a terrible Vette. I loved mine and if I could own 2 I would still have her. I really love my C5 and I'm not interested in trading up to a C6. It's all a matter of personal taste and I mean no offense to anyone but the C6 just does nothing for me aesthetically or mechanically even. I know, that makes no sense to someone wild about the increased horsepower. But how much horsepower do you need to go to the supermarket? :L

And the unrealistic assertion was made that C5 owners would stop complaining and trade even for a C6. Wouldn't you now??? Come on, admit it! Well, let me put it this way - I'd make the trade, sell the C6, buy back my C5, and put the change in the bank.;LOL

Good thread. Great discussions.
:w JAG

The road is waiting for you.

Will not buy a C6 ...

I will hold on to my C5, thank you very much ... Just can't get used to the new looks of the C6 yet. Maybe in a couple of years or so, It's looks will grow on me. I have driven the new C6 and not totally sold on it. It is tight around the bend ... but so is my C5. It does look more like european styling inside and out to me. But that's just my 2cents worth. As far as performance, it is pretty good ... but so is my C5!!! I just wish that the new year, will bring me good tidings to save up for a C4. Since I can't afford a 63 Split ... C4 would be a great addition to my garage.

f2bf.jpg

:v ... will probably just get me a plasma TV for the family room. Happy Holidays to everyone and be safe!!!:w

Dan

No need for one here...

Im quite happy with my ol' C-3....Chas:w

Crazy talk!!

Many folks have done what I have, looked at both side by side, drove 'em... some went for the C6 but a fair number also are going the way I did, buying an '04, one of the last C5's. Obviously none of those folks are in the group willing to trade even for a C6. They had they option in front of them and decided the C5 was more of the type of vette they wanted. The C5 Z06 screams 'corvette' to me, it is awesome!

Different vettes for different folks, that's what makes the world go around! :beer

P.S. I wouldn't trade my '67 even for a C6 either, so I guess it goes double for me.

I agree with you Roadsterguy, I had a C4 ('87 coupe) before my C5 and I loved it from the first to the last day!!! Remember, when the C4 debued, it was a huge technological leap over the C3...it was quite the car of its day, and I will add, can still hold it own! It was proud to have it under me for many miles!

Dave

Hi Bluecoupe,

You started quite an interesting thread. My question is, why are you still hanging on to your '01?

Dave

Personally I love the C6. When the C5 first debuted I was dissapointed with the Japanese RX7/NSX exterior. (Funny hearing people reference Jap exterior now). The look grew on me and I've owned my C5 for two years. I really like the lines of the FRC as well.

But the edgier lines of the C6, the fixed headlamps, etc. are all plusses for me. And there's no denying that the C6 looks hot in convertible form. This is the first Vette in some time that HAS gotten in my blood and can't wait to trade my C4 vert for a C6 vert. As said before though, I will be waiting for someone else to take the depreciation hit and will likely wait for a second or third year car. That means that my purchase will be a few years off. But I will have one.

And to all those offended by the "C4 is a terrible car" statement, while I may not feel that strongly, I agree to some extent. The body flex and loose rear in bumpy cornering is why the upgrade is coming. I love the looks of the C4 vert, but there will be no remorse when I sell her for the upgrade.

Leon

When I first saw the C6 in person, I quickly sold my 99 coupe, and upgraded to a 2004 coupe. To me, the C5 is a much better looking car.

For me it's fairly simple.... The C6 is lacking (a great deal) the "Vette attitude" that I love so much. Sure, it's a sweet car....but I held off buying my C5 until I had more info about the C6. I went to Bowling Green, did the plant tour, and was 100% positive that I'd made the right decision getting Sweet04. No regrets! Just miles of smiles!

On the other hand....if Santa (or his elves) wants to park a C6 in my garage, I'd be happy to take it. Orrrrrrrr....... a sweet C3 would be even MORE appreciated!

Happy Holidays!
Susan

XLR8 said:
Well, let me put it this way - I'd make the trade, sell the C6, buy back my C5, and put the change in the bank.;LOL
Exactly what I was thinking :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom