Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why the Corvette will be successful and why you don't like it.

As an FYI, Matt posted his comment in a different thread. And as a heads-up, I don't want this thread to delve into political views. It's not the point of this thread.
:)

That was also the point of my post. Didn't realize the comment was from a different thread.

Cheers!

I think it will do fairly well and the Corvette has a very strong following regardless of its over all performance and quality, however as the price point continues to rise there may be some defectors from the Chevy camp.

QUALITY will always be a factor, see the images below. At least get everything to line up on the reveal car!!!!....naahhh, why bother??? World class huh?

23_2014_chevrolet_corvette_reveal_zps9fb5cbc3.jpg 22_2014_chevrolet_corvette_reveal_zps1d863fcb.jpg12_2014_chevrolet_corvette_reveal_zpsbef4c6be.jpg26_2014_chevrolet_corvette_reveal_zps9c814fd1.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. I have several friends in France, and all are Corvette owners; one is a 2010 GS in Jetstream Blue. They are passionate about the car. I think the Stingray will do well here AND there....:thumb

True... I was in a hotel pool in Oman (middle east) and when this guy that worked there saw my C5 emblem on my back he told me he loved Vette and he had an 01.

European look c7

That was also the point of my post. Didn't realize the comment was from a different thread.

Cheers!

My biggest concern with the c7 is overall design " European design" if you look at the Ferrari F12 front and side view very similar to c7 and then the very similar camaro like rear. Was hoping for original design with atleast some VETTE cues. And the stingray name very much looks like an after thought just so the VETTE loyal people would buy for the name. Not saying I dislike the c7 just saying the c7 isn't coming to my garage anytime soon. Maybe by the time the z06 or ZR1 comes around the c7 will have grown on me by that time. And so far on this thread all we're seeing is if you don't like the c7 buy a cadi . Guess what the ones that are being told that already owns a VETTE or two and can afford a C7 if they wanted it. The sales on the VETTE are down but the economy plays a lot into that. I purchased my inferno orange in 2011 new. The potential buyers in the US that has the money to buy a C7 are mostly 40 and older. From these threads a lot of VETTE owners don't care for the camaro like rear. World market go for it just don't forget where you came from. 60 years running with only one year without producing a VETTE is not a bad record. But remember who keep you running.

Last edited:
I think it will do fairly well and the Corvette has a very strong following regardless of its over all performance and quality, however as the price point continues to rise there may be some defectors from the Chevy camp.

QUALITY will always be a factor, see the images below. At least get everything to line up on the reveal car!!!!....naahhh, why bother??? World class huh?

View attachment 12327 View attachment 12328View attachment 12329View attachment 12330

Line up_ they only had a few years to put this car together. The nerve LOL. Your right. World class. ......................... want to hear a good one. Fact: the C7 has an optional front plate mount. If you want it you have to attach it to the grill and if you take the car to the track GM recommendations are to remove it before going at high speeds .also if your in a state that has a front tag you have to bend your tag so that it will fit. Another after thought.

Last edited:
At least get everything to line up on the reveal car!!!!
Good eye! I'll give you that. However... I've been to many an Auto Show to check out new model year cars, and I've been surprised how many of them seem to be 'unfinished'. I'm not saying this is acceptable, and it's certainly not good. In fact, this is what essentially kept my buddy from buying a Jeep SRT8 when they debuted. The Auto Show display vehicle was soooo incredibly flimsy, for lack of a better word, that we we're like, "Umm, no way this thing will last years if it can't last a couple weeks on the show circuit." Of course, on the other hand, it was a Chrysler product so we weren't all that surprised. :L But still, the point being made...

I have a feeling that these pre-production cars aren't fully spec'd, and as usual, will end up in the crusher. I don't even think they have a valid VIN. Relative to the abhorrent tolerances that were familiar on many of the cars up through the C4's, GM and their suppliers have really made huge leaps in the body fitment area. I suspect that the cars released to dealerships won't have the issues, or as many, as you easily pointed out. (I hope!)

also if your in a state that has a front tag you have to bend your tag so that it will fit. Another after thought.
This isn't uncommon. Many mfg's don't take into full account front plate requirements. I can say with personal experience that Ford and Infiniti do not. For states that's don't require 'em, it's no big thing. For states that do, often the car will be delivered with a crappy bolt-on plate holder or the the dealer installs it upon delivery. Why muck up the lines of the car for everyone? "Sorry if your state requires it, but we're not gonna incur an aerodynamic or aesthetic deficit for a few people." I'm OK with that. Most plates look out of place on the front of any year vette. Thank goodness here in Ohio that the po-po's aren't too strict about it. And on a related sidenote, Ohio has been kicking around getting rid of the front plate requirement for a couple years now. Here's to wishful thinking!!! :beer

I believe the C7 will be successful both here, in North America, and abroad. I think it has a European flavor, and I think that was done purposely. Sales of European and Asian cars are growing. Frankly, I love the Mercedes and BMWs, but I recently bought a Cadillac CTS because it had a European flavor and sharp edgy lines (which I fell for the first time I saw one). The other night watching the reveal, I was tickled to see the sharp edgy lines on the Corvette. A divergence from what we've had in Corvettes for many years? Sure. But a bad thing? I don't think so. One of those things which, I believe, will make it more marketable world-wide.

Will there be one in my garage anytime soon? Not a chance....unless our "red-neck retirement" system hits it big in the lottery. I know that no pricing has been announced yet, but my meager teaching salary won't be able to afford such a car. :chuckle

Family feud

I'm still trying to understand where all the opposition to the C-7 is coming from. When I go to a Corvette show, I really like seeing all the different years sitting there next to each other. It's great to look back over the years and see all the changes that have happened to our favorite car. I don't look at a '63 and think that it was a sellout because they went to a coupe or because it has independent rear suspension. And I don't look at a '62 and think it was not as good as a '63. The change from the C-3 to the C-4 was a quantum leap in so many areas, but I still love the C-3's. I have a C-5, but I think the C-6's are amazing. And do you really dislike the C-1 because it doesn't have two, round tail lights? Wow! Maybe we all ought to just see the actual car when it comes out. And, if you find something you don't like, maybe you can check out MidAmerica, Corvette Central, Zip Products, Eckler's, etc. and see if they can help you. The after market is booming...but the Corvette is alive and well, like it or not.

I agree. The C7 is defintely evolutionary. In my opinon, I think that Corvette design bas been too conservative and not daring enough. Take a look at Ferrari design and especially Lamborghini design. Each generation of those marques looks significantly different from their previous generations. And both marques have been relatively successful...especially in recent years. On the flip side, take a look at Porsche design. Very little changes between the generations...and models. Take a look at the Porsche Cayman vs the 911. Not a whole hell of a lot of difference between the two until you start to move to the back end and see that the Cayman is a little more sleek in the rear.

The Cayman is cheaper than the 911. Because those designs are very similar, does the Cayman cheapen the 911? Not at all.

Rest assured...there will be NO mistaking a C7 on the road for any other automobile out there. You won't see similarities like we did with the C5 and Mazda RX7. You won't see similarities like you did with the C4 and the Ferrari 308. You won't see similarites in the front end like you did between the C6 and the previous generation of Viper.

For those of you saying that the C7 looks similar to the new SRT Viper...go take a look at the pics I took of the SRT Viper at the NAIAS in the NAIAS gallery here under the Events category in the gallery section. There are no similarities between the Viper and the C7.

In my opinion, regardless of whether or not you love or hate the C7, I will stick my neck out on a limb and say that the C7 is exactly the shot of adrenaline in the arm that the marque needed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Where is the 2014 Corvette ?

I am disappointed in the C7 because I am a old man. I am 74 and have had a Corvette since the early 90's when I could first afford one. When I look around the room at the Corvette Club I belong to I don't see anyone under 50. At the shows almost all the Corvettes are owned by 50+ people. My C5 is getting old and I was hoping to replace it with a C7 but this probably will not be. I was hoping the designers would realize there customer base was grumpy old men and build the car with a little more comfort and room. A little easier to get in and out of. And have a place for me to store my walking cane.

Yes, I do want a performance car but I don't need a world beater. I still haven't seen 100+ in my 2001 convertible and don't figure I will ever race a Corvette. I do want a great looking car and running car I can continue to drive with my friends in the Corvette Club on tours, rallys and shows. The C7 is not for me. I expect I will just go ahead, get rid of my daily driver, have some work done on the old C5 and get a sports sedan for everything but what I use my pickup for and car club activities.

I will wait and take a in person look at the C7 when it hits the showrooms but I believe now GM has written me off so my question is who gets the $65,000 I have saved up for a new 2014 car.

Texas Charles

I , just like Charles am an older and a man in my 60's and have owned many corvettes starting with a 1959 in 1968. But despite all of the raves and hater's i read about the C7, no one can tell me why, why they couldn't have kept the round tail-lights. It may seem like a small matter to the styling department, but it was a link between me and the new C7. The other oddity to me at least, is where does the C7 fit in ? a ZL1 2014 Camaro will cost close to $70.000 and if for comparison, a 2013 Ford Mustang GT500 in full pressed out and most every option added comes to about $68.000. Thus where does the C7 fit in ? Is it going to squeeze in between the Camaro ZL1 and a Porsche 911 Turbo ? because the Porsche is going to be a bargain basement price of about $130.000. Is that the targeted marketplace for the C7 ? The Corvette only sold 14K units in 2012-13. It can't be worthwhile if it's going to be produced and sold in the teens, it needs to sell at least 30K units to be a worthwhile expenditure. So once again, if I and the other 'Old Geezers" aren't going to shell out the $75.000 to $100.000, then who is ? Camaro tail lights and all ! :eyerole

Last edited:
...why they couldn't have kept the round tail-lights. It may seem like a small matter to the styling department, but it was a link between me and the new C7.
Taking it solely at face value, doesn't that seem like a rather petty reason for not liking/enjoying/embracing the C7???
The tail light design??? It's not like round lenses were the heart & soul of a Corvette, nor are they exclusive to Corvette.

The other oddity to me at least, is where does the C7 fit in? (with regards to price)
I don't think it's going to change anything in the GM pricing structure. The uber-Mustang will make for some interesting comparisons, but those comparisons won't go much beyond spec-sheet racing. The Mustang and Camaro are Pony cars, not Supercars. You won't find either car being campaigned at LeMans or in ALMS. That aside, I think anytime you get in pricing over $65K, it's going to come down to buyer's preference and not strictly price. If you're looking at a Mustang that's $65K, you likely aren't going to be considering a Corvette anyways. Same with a Camaro. You're buying one over the other because you already have a predilection for said vehicle.
Additionally, when you start to talk about pricing among differing product lines, you inevitably invite the conversation that goes something like this:

Person 1: Car_A is the best car you can buy for $50K.
Person 2: Oh, Whatever!!! I can take my Car_B for $35K and put $15K worth of upgrades and blow away your Car_A.

At this point, price is irrelevant. It's all personal preference of the one signing on the dotted line. If it wasn't, no one would be buying Ferraris and Lambos for $300K when you can take an existing car and make it do whatever it is that the $300K does, except maybe give you bragging rights based on name.

Last edited:
Glossing over some very concrete reasons for being critical about an expensive purchase.

Taking is solely at face value, doesn't that seem like a rather petty reason for not liking/enjoying/embracing the C7???
The tail light design??? It's not like round lenses were the heart & soul of a Corvette, nor are they exclusive to Corvette.

I don't think it's going to change anything in the GM pricing structure. The uber-Mustang will make for some interesting comparisons, but those comparisons won't go much beyond spec-sheet racing. The Mustang and Camaro are Pony cars, not Supercars. You won't find either car being campaigned at LeMans or in ALMS. That aside, I think anytime you get in pricing over $65K, it's going to come down to buyer's preference and not strictly price. If you're looking at a Mustang that's $65K, you likely aren't going to be considering a Corvette anyways. Same with a Camaro. You're buying one over the other because you already have a predilection for said vehicle.
Additionally, when you start to talk about pricing among differing product lines, you inevitably invite the conversation that goes something like this:

Person 1: Car_A is the best car you can buy for $50K.
Person 2: Oh, Whatever!!! I can take my Car_B for $35K and put $15K worth of upgrades and blow away your Car_A.

At this point, price is irrelevant. It's all personal preference of the one signing on the dotted line. If it wasn't, no one would be buying Ferraris and Lambos for $300K when you can take an existing car and make it do whatever it is that the $300K does, except maybe give you bragging rights based on name.

In all respect, you seem to put a hell of a lot of faith in people disregarding what they 'Expect' and what they are 'Willing' to pay' and at far above the $70.000 price, I seem to misrepresented here,

"Taking is solely at face value, doesn't that seem like a rather petty reason for not liking/enjoying/embracing the C7???
The tail light design??? It's not like round lenses were the heart & soul of a Corvette, nor are they exclusive to Corvette."

Petty ? . . . Petty is saying if i can't get "My" color of red, then I'm not buying it. The stated reason given for the Camaro tail lights was that the lights also serve a an outlet for the heat from the rear brakes. So once again I have to ask, Can't the heat exhaust be round rather than square ???? I'm buying a Corvette, not a Colbalt. This is not a choice of a simple matter of buying the car simply because it's a Corvette, that would be petty.

Plus, I never bought or ever owned a Cadillac. If i did what the heck would I be doing a Corvette Action Center ? My interest is Corvettes, not Mustangs or Camaro's. And exactly when is the price of this Super Car going to be reviled ? Your responce to my input is sort of like a salemen convincing me that this or that isn't really of any difference. But I'm the one who's check is going to be filled out. And since it's my money I should be satisfied with my purchase. If not then from the point I leave the dealers lot I have only myself to blam for square tail lights, Correct ? Or perhaps I'm being petty again ? And I'm Very sure the 2014 Corvette isn't going to be priced at $300.000 !

Last edited:
Petty ? . . . Petty is saying if i can't get "My" color of red, then I'm not buying it. The stated reason given for the Camaro tail lights was that the lights also server a an outlet for the heat from the rear brakes. So once again I have to ask, Can't the heat exhaust be round rather than square ???? I'm buying a Corvette, not a Colbalt. This is not a choice of a simple matter of buying the car simply because it's a Corvette, that would be petty.
I'm not entirely sure I follow what you've written. I don't have any reference to the part about the taillights being a channel for hot brake air to be exhausted. The fact that they may be exhaust vents notwithstanding, it would still seem that you are hung up on, "But why can't they round? I want round ones! And I'm certainly not going to be happy to drop $___ on a new Corvette that doesn't have round tail lights!" Well, I dunno what to tell you; they made 'em rectangular. *shrugging*

Plus, I never bought or ever owned a Cadillac. If i did what the heck would I be doing a Corvette Action Center ?
Not sure what that is in reference to...?
My interest is Corvettes, not Mustangs or Camaro's.
You made the reference to the Camaro ZL1 and the big Mustang regarding pricing, as if it was going to impact the buying decision of somone looking at either/any of those particular vehicles. I was simply stating that for those premium cars, I don't think the majority of those potential buyers are price shopping all three (or more) cars. I think if someone's looking at a Camaro ZL1, then they are simply trying to decide if they really want the ZL1 model or just the SS model. I don't believe they are thinking, "Ehhh...Camaro ZL1 or Corvette? ZL1 or Corvette? Hmmmm...*scratching their chin*" Camaro guys stick with Camaros. Mustangs and Corvettes guys, the same thing. My point based on what you wrote was that when you ask how the C7 is going to be priced relative to a Camaro ZL1 or the big Mustang, I think it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. I think the apples-apples question for most would be, "What is the price of this new C7 compared to what I could buy if I stick with last year's C6?"
And exactly when is the price of this Super Car going to be reviled?
As it is with Why did they go with rectangular tail lights, "I don't know." I'm gonna guess within the next couple of weeks it will be released. Obviously before it hits the showroom floor, but other than the obvious, your guess is as good as mine.
...I'm the one who's check is going to be filled out. And since it's my money I should be satisfied with my purchase.
Absolutely 100%! I'll be the first one to jump and say, "You do what you want with your money! It's your car and nobody should tell you what to do with it! Keep it stock? Customize it? Your money, your car, your sole decisions! And if you don't want to purchase the car because you don't like the rectangular tail lights, then that's totally fine! I'm not telling how to spend your money. Me personally, if I had the money available, the significant updates to the C7 compared to any previous Corvette are significant and while I might not be entirely happy with rectangular tail lights, I can get past that because there's certainly enough else about the car that will keep a smile planted firmly on my face. But that's just me if it was my money. :)
If not then from the point I leave the dealers lot I have only myself to blam for square tail lights, Correct?
I'm not certain how to interpret that, (even though it's acedemic at this point, as I think we've made our respective points.) Are you stating that by buying the car, you would be, by default, voicing approval for the rectangular tail lights?
And I'm Very sure the 2014 Corvette isn't going to be priced at $300.000 !
Of course not! That was just an arbitrary reference point for my CAR_A / CAR_B parable.

It's all good, Killain! :beer ....well, except for maybe those damned rectangular tail lights! :chuckle

:D

The C7 and my first impact.

I'm not entirely sure I follow what you've written. I don't have any reference to the part about the taillights being a channel for hot brake air to be exhausted. The fact that they may be exhaust vents notwithstanding, it would still seem that you are hung up on, "But why can't they round? I want round ones! And I'm certainly not going to be happy to drop $___ on a new Corvette that doesn't have round tail lights!" Well, I dunno what to tell you; they made 'em rectangular. *shrugging*

Not sure what that is in reference to...?
You made the reference to the Camaro ZL1 and the big Mustang regarding pricing, as if it was going to impact the buying decision of somone looking at either/any of those particular vehicles. I was simply stating that for those premium cars, I don't think the majority of those potential buyers are price shopping all three (or more) cars. I think if someone's looking at a Camaro ZL1, then they are simply trying to decide if they really want the ZL1 model or just the SS model. I don't believe they are thinking, "Ehhh...Camaro ZL1 or Corvette? ZL1 or Corvette? Hmmmm...*scratching their chin*" Camaro guys stick with Camaros. Mustangs and Corvettes guys, the same thing. My point based on what you wrote was that when you ask how the C7 is going to be priced relative to a Camaro ZL1 or the big Mustang, I think it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. I think the apples-apples question for most would be, "What is the price of this new C7 compared to what I could buy if I stick with last year's C6?"
As it is with Why did they go with rectangular tail lights, "I don't know." I'm gonna guess within the next couple of weeks it will be released. Obviously before it hits the showroom floor, but other than the obvious, your guess is as good as mine.
Absolutely 100%! I'll be the first one to jump and say, "You do what you want with your money! It's your car and nobody should tell you what to do with it! Keep it stock? Customize it? Your money, your car, your sole decisions! And if you don't want to purchase the car because you don't like the rectangular tail lights, then that's totally fine! I'm not telling how to spend your money. Me personally, if I had the money available, the significant updates to the C7 compared to any previous Corvette are significant and while I might not be entirely happy with rectangular tail lights, I can get past that because there's certainly enough else about the car that will keep a smile planted firmly on my face. But that's just me if it was my money. :)
I'm not certain how to interpret that, (even though it's acedemic at this point, as I think we've made our respective points.) Are you stating that by buying the car, you would be, by default, voicing approval for the rectangular tail lights?
Of course not! That was just an arbitrary reference point for my CAR_A / CAR_B parable.

It's all good, Killain! :beer ....well, except for maybe those damned rectangular tail lights! :chuckle

:D

First, please forgive me, I sometimes am not all that clear with the english language, and in doing short, to the point answers. And no, we're all friends here, no matter what GM builds. I'm not hung up on the square tail lights so much as I am with stylist decision to use the square ones over round ones. I forget right now where I read it, perhaps Auto-week, but the fact for the square tail lights was that there is a part of the body right there at the tail lights, that is a heat exhaust outlet from the rear brakes, I will try to remember where I read it but that was in the printed literature about the whole rear styling effort.

My impressions, and I'm not one of the group who just out and out hate the C7, I remember very well when the C5 came out in 1996 as a 1997 model and there was all this loud complaining about the "Big-Butt" rear end and how it wasn't a real corvette cause of this or that and so on. It's all history now. I personally felt it was beautiful, and in 2002 I went in and bought my 2003 1SC coupe and at that time, I paid $49.995 for it and felt it excellentant buy which to this day I still feel. I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water here and if I ever get a chance to sit in or drive one then I'll perhaps change Luke warm feelings about it. But my big hope is that I'm the very, very tiny minority here and the C7 sells out in 9 months.

And since I own GM stock, I want that company to be the best it possibly can be. It was a great company who's engineering teams were the spring board for many, many of the now standard engineering techniques in use by almost all automobile manufacturers. But like all great companies, they soon found themselves hiring management individuals who truly knew nothing about automobiles and even less about personal honesty and business morals. But the company has rid itself of the deadwood and are now up and producing a very sound and quality product industry wide. GM can compete with the very best. I want to go to Daytona next year and see the C7R win in resounding manner. My biggest fear is the same as every first year Corvette, that the formula is somehow tainted in the rebuilding and re-engineering.

That's the only point I wanted to make, square or round, tail lights can be changed. I remember when the C6 was first being planned and the company said they had talked to and more important, had listened to Corvette owners to see what it was that the Corvette buyer wanted. I just don't think that was this years game plan auto stylist found inspirations somewhere else. I'm just hoping they found the right thing. :w

I'm having trouble with the word processor the CAC is using as it keeps changing what i type in at the moment I post it.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the word processor the CAC is using as it keeps changing what i type in at the moment I post it.
The CAC doesn't have a word processor. The text field accepts whatever you put into it... although we do have a "naughty words" filter that changes seven little words into ****.

I suspect your issue is with your browser.

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom