Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Will these fit?

D

Drewser

I want to put 2000 chrome 5 spokes on my 99, but I've seen some 99 5 spoke wheels on a C4 and I think they look good. Will my 99 wheels fit on my 84? I know there is a different offset, how can I combat that? New rotors? Also, will the wheels/tires fit in the wheel wells without rubbing? Thanks
--Drew:w

Not sure, Drewser.

Though I do have a full set of wheels from a 2000 on my '91, I'm not positive that anything was done to the car or the rims to ensure their fit. They were installed by a previous owner. (And look cool as hell!)

So, I would encourage you to keep trolling for info. My '91 looks so much better than other C4's out there (I'm not biased, am I?)with this minor modification!;):):)

I am not 100% on this, but hopefully someone else will back it up (or tear me down!)

I am pretty sure all you need are spacers to make the wheels work (on top of the speedometer gear, since the rear tires are taller)... The basic information that I have... the early C4s that came with 16 inch wheels need an adapter to make the newer 17 inch wheels fit.... The C5's 17 inch front wheels are basically the same as the C4's, so no problem there with the adapters. they aren't that much wider (the front should be smaller) or taller so rubbing shouldn't be a problem... A second problem you will have with the rear is the increased height... anytime you 'add wheel' to a car, it will increase the ride height. Basically, I think you will need to lower the rear to make it look right.

rear height

Drew,

According to goodyear, the diameter of your '84 rubber is 26", the fronts on your '99 are 25.6" and the rear 26.6". So, your front will drop about 1/4" and your rear will rise about 1/4". You will abviously need to change the speedo for the difference in tire size as stated before. But on the upside, in your driveway, the '84 won't look like its quite as ready to take off any more:L

ready for takeoff

Uh--that is one of those fancy schmantzy digital effects...yeah, that's the ticket! Either that of the photographer was too lazy to find a level piece of ground.
So, in the end, I'm probably gonna need spacers. I can deal with that. Thanks all!

Now this I can help with......

We did put the new style rims on our 84 and you need to get rims with different offsets to make them fit - and let me tell you it is close. We have 17 X 9.5 on the front and 17 X 11 on the back and the rears sit extremely close to the mufflers but they fit!! They don't stick out or anything. The offsets are different; you can't take ones that came off of a newer model (like you are describing) and bolt them up. Hope this helps! Our digital camera is broke, I will try to scan in a pic of the wheels on the car so you can get a feel for what it looks like.

Here you go! Hope the pics don't end up too big on here. As you can see we are in the middle of sandin' her down; we actually should finish this Sunday and the first coat of primer will be put on!!

LOVE the wheels!

That is what I envisioned--the ZR1 wheels, but I have to do something with my 99 wheels. Will spacers work? Maybe longer lug nuts and spacers? The bolt patern is the same, right? Just the offset is different?

Drewser, did you ever do anything with your wheels? I've been looking at wheel adapters ($200! ouch!) but haven't seen anything mentioned about speedo gearing changes.
[RICHR]

Not yet

I'm still using them on my 99. I'm still a bit confused about the spacers. I assume that the bolt patern is the same and that I just need spacers, which I also assume to be like washers that bring the rims away from the rotors. What are wheel adapters?:confused Is that like 5 washers welded together?

The spacers I've been looking at are a mini wheel hub of sorts. They are large discs with 5 holes and 5 studs. Slip them over the existing studs and fasten the included nuts, then put your wheels on the new studs. Corvette Central, Ecklers, and Vette Brakes and Products all sell a set that appears to be about the same, for about $200. Summit Racing sells similar-looking "generic" ones (ie, 1/4", 1/2", 1" with various center spacings) for about $40 a pair. If I understand things, pre-88's have a +32 mm offset and 88+ have a 56 mm offset, which is a difference of... where's my calculator... 24mm. That's about an inch? 10mm per cm = 2.4 cm, 2.54 cm/inch.
I know we have 5-lug wheels, but I'm not sure what the center size is (IIRC, that's the distance between the center of one lug nut and the midpoint of the two opposite it).

Clear as mud, eh?
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom