Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

windshield frame repair

zeke2u

Corvette
2003 Electron Blue Z06
My '03 Z06 had a tree limb fall on the roof and windshield. The frame was bent very slightly along the top, almost midway between the two cast aluminum corners. I'd like to just cut-out the damaged piece at both corners and weld a "salvaged" extruded aluminum frame between the two cast corners. My question is which modules, besides the battery, should I disconnect before welding the windshield frame? Is it only the air-bags I should be concerned with, or should I disconnect the PCM, too?

This would be a good question for GMJunkie to answer. He's done quite a bit of repair work on Corvettes. But in my lowly opinion, I'd say it would be better to be safe than sorry, disconnect everything.

Also - anyone know what the aluminum alloy is? I know the top corners are cast and the long rectangular beam between them is extruded. Is it 5745?

HI there,

There are no repair techniques or material breakdowns of the windshield frame assemblies within GM service information.

They only specify entire frame replacement, as it is bonded and bolted to the lower frame assembly. The picture is a breakdown of the assembly. #3 is the entire frame along with 6/8/9/16/33 are included.

And having done 1 myself, its a horrible job and took me about 1 week non stop to do it.

And disconnecting the battery for 5 mins completely disables the entire airbag system.

Allthebest, Paul

Attachments

• IMG-20130309-00501.jpg
    IMG-20130309-00501.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 72
HI there,

There are no repair techniques or material breakdowns of the windshield frame assemblies within GM service information.

They only specify entire frame replacement, as it is bonded and bolted to the lower frame assembly. The picture is a breakdown of the assembly. #3 is the entire frame along with 6/8/9/16/33 are included.

And having done 1 myself, its a horrible job and took me about 1 week non stop to do it.

And disconnecting the battery for 5 mins completely disables the entire airbag system.

Allthebest, Paul

Thanks Paul - I do have the 2004 repair manual, and I realized after reading it that the job looked "horrible"! Nevertheless, if you're familiar with top section of the windshield frame, the extruded aluminum beam (about 44"/112 cm) connects at the corner of each pillar with a cast 90º joint. By my measurements, the top section beam was the only structural piece in the frame that shows any deformation. Both A-pillars appear to be at the correct angle, relative to both ends where the frame attaches to both door jambs and frame rails. And the deformation doesn't seem severe - it deflected ~ 1.75 cm/ 5/8". Here's pix of the damage IMG_0378.jpgIMG_0383.jpg I believe a tree limb impacted the roof and windshield frame - there was no other damage to the front hood or the rear deck lid - not the slightest scratch, or anything. Anyway, my plan is to cut the present windshield frame at the two top corners, right where the top extruded frame/beam intersects with the cast corner - and weld a new piece between both corners. It would also be nice to know, beforehand, what the alloy is before I commission someone who would want to weld it. I read, in the manual, that besides disconnecting the battery, pulling fuse-16 in the foot-well fuse box was recommended also.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom