Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

windshield frame rust

J

jmp

I pulled my windshield off because of a leak and a small rust hole at the top of the windshield, and discovered more rust at the bottom of the frame. This seems to be a common problem, and the solutions I've been hearing are making me lose sleep at nights!

I'm not sure how bad the problem is. I don't have water leaking onto my feet, and the leak at the top only occurs in heavy rain. But the lower part of the windshield frame is quite rusted out.

Questions:

1) Is this structural damage or more simply a problem with water flow control as rain water runs down the side of the windshield and onto the road?
1a) The reason I ask is: can I clean up the rust and just fibreglass over the holes, or do I need to get a patch welded on?

2) If I take the console out, can I get to the underside of this frame damage?

3) If I can't get to the underside and I need to weld, is cutting back the front fender the only/best/easiest way to go, or would removing the front clip be better/easier/cheaper? Cutting seems so severe.

I've attached some pics to demonstrate.

On a side note, where does the draining water actually go? It disappears into a dark hole and I'm not sure where it ends up. It almost sees as if it would spill out onto the door hinges.

Thx.

I can certainly speak to rusty windshield frames, my '73 frame off was initiated by trying to fix damage that looks much like yours.

If I were you, I would consider fixing it properly which means disassembling/welding/replacing as required. This is a long horrible job and not for the faint of wallet.

Perhaps Mac will chime in, our cars are distant cousins and both suffered the same illness.

Fiberglass is NEVER an acceptable way to repair rusted metal. Your situation doesn't look too bad. If you have the ability, or a buddy who does, I'd cut out the rusted area, and weld new metal back in, and you'd be good to go. If you want a quick fix, that is not really the "right" way to do it, but will do for a while, coat the rusted area with POR-15, this will stop the rust from continuing. Then when you reinstall the glass, goop a bunch of windshield adhesive over the holes, and you'll probably be fine forever, and no one but you will know. The black windshield goop is great stuff, and will not leak. Of course your rust problem will still exist, but it won't get worse, and the leak will be gone. Then maybe someday if you want to do a thorough resto, you could just fix it then. If you fix it correctly, you'll probably spend a weekend removing the dash, and all the other stuff that might be damaged by welding, cutting out the rust, and replacing with new metal. If you or a buddy can do it yourself, the cost is really nothing. If you have to pay someone to do it, then be prepared to spend.

I'm going to spend some time checking the lower birdcage for more damage, to get a handle on the extent of the damage. I don't expect it to be too great, given what I can see and the fact that there is no leak in the foot wells. But, better safe than sorry.

I'm pulling out the dash too, partly for this and partly for other reasons (wiring, etc.). I've also pretty much decided to pull off the front clip. From what I've read so far this isn't too, too big of a job, and I'd rather do that instead of cutting back the fender.

Now I just have to find someone who knows how to weld. I know people who know people....

Hmm.... Once I have the front clip off, I wonder what else I can fix/look at? Good opportunity to cleanup the engine, at the very least!

Thx.

If you were closer to Colorado, I'd offer to do it for you for free, but you're a little far away. If all the rust you have is what's in the pictures, I wouldn't pull the clip myself, I'd work around it. You could probably have this all fixed up in an afternoon.

I've repaired a few frames worse than yours and cutting back the fender is actually not that bad. It makes it much easier to get at the problem and repairs back to normal are pretty simple. I must tell you that after blending the repair color to match you will probably have to clear the whole front clip if it has a base/clear paint on it. I usually buy a good,rust free frame from a used vette yard and replace the whole frame if the top is also rusted. You can also buy just the pieces of windshield frame new from Paragon or Doc Rebuild or Bairs. If you buy the corvette restoration book on the market it has a step by step on cutting the fender and making the repair. If you need the books author I will look it up for you. Hope this helps, Fred

My birdcage repairs were all on the bottom, not the top. As far as I can tell, my windshield frame is good but my bottom sills were rotton. They came out in pieces.

It wasn't a difficult repair because I had the body off of the frame. I lucked out because I purchased a set of OEM NOS sills from a CAC member. That being said, any birdcage repair is not for the fainthearted. If you're not confident in your welding skills, get professional help.... like I did.

-Mac

jmp said:
Hmm.... Once I have the front clip off, I wonder what else I can fix/look at? Good opportunity to cleanup the engine, at the very least!

Thx.

be careful or it will turn into a frame off resto before you know it. that really is not a bad thing

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom