Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Windshield wiper compartment color

White75

Corvette
'75 L48 Auto White, '78 L82 4-spd SA
I'm cleaning up the engine bay of the vette and the wiper compartment is an utter mess with a lot of paint overspray and other crud. I would like to spray paint it but wondered what color was acceptable. I figure it was black but is it gloss, semigloss or matte?

Cheapo semi-flat black. Same stuff was used on the hood, wheel wells, doors, etc. as part of the black out process.

:)

Be sure to check all of the sealer that the factory goobered in there cuz it's what keeps the water off your feet.

And while your in there.. put in some screens to keep the leaves/junk from clogging up the drains (far end of the wiper area).

...I'm thinking about resealing it while I'm at it...

I used 3M automotive undercoating from the rattle can. Dries to a dark brown, not black, but looks stock. Once it dried, I shot Krylon semi-flat black over the top of it.

No water leaks since!

Got it done. Screens already were installed. I checked all the seals and fixed a few with more sealant and sprayed it semigloss and it looks so much better.

Thanks

After scraping out the wiper tub, and realizing it still looked a mess, I used some of the spray-on bedliner paint. The texture helped hide some of the imperfections and I think it came out looking pretty good.
10.JPG

I've got some more photos on my website here: Painting the Firewall - The Corvette Restoration Page

I used 3M automotive undercoating from the rattle can. Dries to a dark brown, not black, but looks stock. Once it dried, I shot Krylon semi-flat black over the top of it.

No water leaks since!

I have a water leak in the wiper compartment and went to Auto-zone but they only had 'Rubberized Undercoating' will this stuff work?

I would use something like RTV to seal any leaks, and then use the 3m to insure everything is sealed up nice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom