Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Winter Projects, Whats yours?

Winter is upon us once again, what is your Vette plans for the winter months.

Weeeelll....

Lets see, my '68 coupe is in dire need of a lot of work, and never enough $$$ so...

I have a new chassis on order from SRIII Motorsports, the new engine from Bill Mitchell (an all aluminum 572) has been delivered and so has the new custom Tremec TKO 600 5 speed trans.

Once I get the rolling chassis delivered, I plan to move the body to the new chassis and then get started on the body work, sanding down the horrid copper paint. I also have to fix the row of nose rivet bumps.

Once all that is done, I think it should be about May or so. Then I can get the car painted...

That should about kill this year's budget, then next year more yet to do :) Hoping to get her back on the road by summer 2008. ZOOMIES!

In the mean time I just run over small import cars with my Chevy Truck. :)

"Thats another Miyata you just ran over!"

"OH, I thought that was a speed bump."

Andrew

I plan on doing the following since she will be taking a long 5 month nap:

New exhaust system including manifolds
New brake calipers
Adjust parking brake
New Tires
Remove console trim and repaint / replace
New spark plug wires
Have carburetor rebuilt
Replace interior trim, one piece at a time.

I just can't wait.....

Good luck,
Dino

no winter to speak of down in the tropics, but the "cooler weather" project this year is about to begin. the entire interior will be replaced from wall to wall, ceiling to floor so to speak. all trim, seats, dash, carpet, chrome, gauges, etc going out the door to be replaced with brand new. everything (except the gauges themselves) ordered (and promptly deliverd) through wilcox at a great price. for my money their service, and product knowledge, can't be beat!!

Time for a seat recover including foam. Any maybe Ill buy that 750 holley to replace the beyond repair one thats on the car now. Maybe..

Rear brakes, exhaust system, pull the tailshaft on my trans and fix the speedometer driven gear, new headlight vacuum lines, and whatever else I can find time for.

A lot of ambitious C3 owners here!
:upthumbs
We should do a follow up round about April to see what proportion of the projects actually got done.;)

My project is to get my c-5 ready to be sold .Hopefully I'll get a c-6 and the c-5 will find a real good special home.

Well the old 70 has been in need of a new interior for a couple years now. So this winter is going to get done. Also the rear main seal has sprung a leak so this will be a good time to fix that and clean up and put new bushings in the front suspension.
This is my first time posting anything so lets hope it works. I have a 70 roadster, 350-350, 4 speed white with black interior.

Welcome tonyvdb.

Feel free to jump right in any discussion. If you have any questions on how any features of the site work just ask.

Tom

well, since cruise nights this past summer were with the hood shut, I plan to go under the hood and detail it properly so I can have the hood up this spring. I spent last winter stripping and painting the car to get the outside looking damn nice, so now it's time to get under the hood. specifics include
1. find correct fasteners and remount under hood light (taken off when hood removed for paint)
2. send headers out for ceramic coating
3. new plug wires routed along valve covers
4. decide whether to replace factory broken fan shrould or go with electric fan
5. decide whether to paint engine orange or correct for 79 blue.
6. put non existant underhood insulation back on hood
I'm sure I'll come up with plenty more as I get into it, but I won't start until after the holidays, I want to drive the car to family get togethers to show it off to my out of town relatives that will be in town.

Well the old 70 has been in need of a new interior for a couple years now. So this winter is going to get done. Also the rear main seal has sprung a leak so this will be a good time to fix that and clean up and put new bushings in the front suspension.
This is my first time posting anything so lets hope it works. I have a 70 roadster, 350-350, 4 speed white with black interior.
-------------------------------------
Tony

Good to see you here. About time you got the 70 updated. :D

This is a good bunch here, so look foward to see more from you.

Old Dog, if I had your money I would have done it before, but some of us still have to work for a living. I thought I reconized the picture of that Mag Red Vette.

Old Dog, if I had your money I would have done it before, but some of us still have to work for a living. I thought I reconized the picture of that Mag Red Vette.

Now Tony;

I'm still pulling that tanker around, looking for a hole to drop my hose in, every week just to keep the wolf from the door. Wouldn't have to do that if I were an exec. such as yourself. :D

Seriously, bet the 70 will look good, hope you can get it out more. Don't be a stranger.

I just determined my winter project last week. Transmission went out on the vette. Gotta find the problem. Got no line pressure in my 700R4. So the car is up on jackstands right now. When I get some time and money, I'll get into it more.
Also thinking about redoing the carpet and rear storage boxes, but until I fix my leaks (which could be never), I'm hesitant to put in new carpet.
At least it's going into storage and not just coming out.

I just posted a question about this issue.
I can't decide between a engine tranny replacement/overhaul or a paint job. Any suggestions?

I just posted a question about this issue.
I can't decide between a engine tranny replacement/overhaul or a paint job. Any suggestions?
That's an easy one. Paint is the last thing you do.
You don't want to have to worry about working around new paint when dropping in an engine or putting up a transmission. Mostly is the engine concern. There's going to be a lot of leaning on the fenders, fluids being passed over the fenders, hood likely will be off the car, etc. Paint it last.
And while the engine is out, do a good job cleaning the exposed parts of the frame and throwing some fresh rustproofing on it.

Both Vets tucked in for the winter, they don't need no work. My 1950 chopped Merc needs to be finished though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom