Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wiper door actuator hits valve covers

Kenny Q

Corvette
1971 Ontario orange coupe
I'm new to CAC and also alittle computer challenged, that being said up front I am pretty comfortable actually working on cars and engines but have run into a problem with my 1971 454 project. I recently rebuilt the 454 added aluminum heads with rocker poppers which neccitated tall valve covers along with high intact and new carb. I had trouble fitting it back into the engine bay but changed to solid motor mounts and a raised hood and finally got it to fit. Everything is buttoned up except that the wiper door actuator hits the valve cover and PCV valve? I purchased a actuator for a 70 model because it had a smaller diameter can but it also hits?? Then I looked into the electric actuators, the one kit I found appears that it would also hit??? So I'm loo for anyone who has run into this and solved it or someone who may be able I manufacture a custom one???? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your consideration!!!

Welcome to the CAC

Have you considered going to an extended length hood? Doing so would eliminate the need for the wiper door and the related gear.

I agree. Since you are not doing an NCRS restoration, remove the wiper door and the cowl grille and replace your hood with a Long Style L88 hood. There are several vendors that carry them. Problem solved.

Long Hood option

Welcome to the CAC

Have you considered going to an extended length hood? Doing so would eliminate the need for the wiper door and the related gear.

Yes, I have considered that. The only thing is I already purchased a New after market Cowl hood to fit the new carb height, just a short one, so I was trying to save from spending another $800.00. Any other suggestions on modifying or having a new actuator fabricated?

Could you move the actuators off to the side? IF you try this it may be best to modify the system so that it's still connected to the cowl in the same spot.

clearance

A friend has a 68 BBC. It is equipped with power brakes Brodix race right heads, stud girdle and he had to notch out and have rewelded to fit around the brake booster. No clearance issue at the wiper actuator[68 have the large booster]. My recommendation would be to get different valve covers or if yours are the welded design notch them and have rewelded. T

Change valvecovers

Terry thanks for the tip!! Can you recommend particular brand that could be modified?

I think "antz81" have the best idea...switch to a '73-up style hood. That's what I did on my 71 BB, but I didn't do it because of tall valve covers, I did it because I liked the 73 hood and didn't like all the monkey motion that goes with the hidden wipers.

I do have a question,...what are "rocker poppers"?

Rocker poppers

I think "antz81" have the best idea...switch to a '73-up style hood. That's what I did on my 71 BB, but I didn't do it because of tall valve covers, I did it because I liked the 73 hood and didn't like all the monkey motion that goes with the hidden wipers.

I do have a question,...what are "rocker poppers"?

It must have auto corrected, it should have said roller rocker arms.
Thanks I will look up antz81

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom