Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Would this drive you crazy?

Stevette

Corvette
2006 Monterey Red Coupe
I put a flowmaster american thunder exhaust system on my 06 Z51 and notice the driver side exhaust is a tad bit higher than the passenger side. The average person probably wouldn't notice, since it is very slight. And you really can't notice it when the car is on a flat street; you can only notice the difference when the car is in the garage because of the incline in the driveway and that's only when you're really looking for it. I have taken my vette to so many different exhaust mechanics and no one can seem to get it PERFECT! They all tell me the passenger side is a huge hassle, due to the rear diff. I've noticed other vettes that seem to have the same misalignment as I do. Also, I get the illusion that one side sticks out farther than the other depending on the angle I'm looking from. Let me just ask, what would you guys do??

I tried playing around with the hangers for about 45 minutes to get it perfect, but I didn't get too far. It is still not PERFECT! I am going crazy, I don't know what else to do besides put the stock system back on. I love the way the exhaust sounds, but I don't know if I can live with that alignment issue.
willy_nilly.gif

Absolutely yes, this would drive me nuts! :thumb

I had a similar problem with a B&B Route 66 system. I took it back to the original installer and of course they saw nothing wrong and gave me all the usual excuses... angles, differential, it's so hard to get just right, they're all like that, that is normal....

I finally took it to a Chevrolet Vette mechanic. He saw the problem immediately. He ordered some extra-extra heavy duty clamps. He said with these he could position the muffler perfectly, tighten the clamps, and the muffler would stay aligned properly.

That was the end of that problem.

I have some mufflers that are aligned differently because one or more pipes are bent at very slightly different angles. Imagine if one pipe is bent a fraction of a degree differently from the corresponding pipe on the other side, the two mufflers will likely never be positioned the same.

A small angle over the length of the pipe with other bends will be magnified at the muffler tips. The tips will then appear to stick out to different points and slanted relative to the bumper. That will give a misaligned appearance.

I would try the super-strong clamp route installed by a perfectionist. See if the mufflers then appear positioned properly.

I put a flowmaster american thunder exhaust system on my 06 Z51 and notice the driver side exhaust is a tad bit higher than the passenger side. The average person probably wouldn't notice, since it is very slight. And you really can't notice it when the car is on a flat street; you can only notice the difference when the car is in the garage because of the incline in the driveway and that's only when you're really looking for it. I have taken my vette to so many different exhaust mechanics and no one can seem to get it PERFECT! They all tell me the passenger side is a huge hassle, due to the rear diff. I've noticed other vettes that seem to have the same misalignment as I do. Also, I get the illusion that one side sticks out farther than the other depending on the angle I'm looking from. Let me just ask, what would you guys do??

I tried playing around with the hangers for about 45 minutes to get it perfect, but I didn't get too far. It is still not PERFECT! I am going crazy, I don't know what else to do besides put the stock system back on. I love the way the exhaust sounds, but I don't know if I can live with that alignment issue.
willy_nilly.gif

I had a corsa system installed on my c5 by the local dealship. When I drove up to pick it up I could see it was not symmetrically mounted from 50 feet away. Of course to service manager couldn't wait to ask me how I liked it. His jaw dropped when I simply said "unacceptible". I asked if they referred to the install instructions that came with the system which of course they said yes. So we all went back to the lift together and I grabbed the instructions and said did you put a straight edge on the tips before tightening the clamps? Of course they said. I said let's see it. No one could find a straight edge in the whole dealership. Turns out the guy was using the handle of a large cresent wrench as a straight edge which I pointed out to him that while the wrench handle was indeed straight it is also tappered and therefore not the appropriate tool for the job. I ended up standing back 20 feet while the guy loosened the clamps and I eye balled it dead nuts. So to answer your question s#%& yes that would bother me. Seems there are not many people who take pride in their work anymore. Most vette guys I know would not put up with it. Rattle some cages brother good luck john m

Had a problem keeping the tips aligned after B&B PRT catback install on my C5. I could get it nice but one side or another would loosen up and mess up the alignment. Finally took it to a old time, one man, muffler shop and he took the impact wrench to it after he aligned it - no more loosening up. He said the style clamps that usually come with aftermarket catbacks really respond positively to the air impact wrench. I was just using an electric driver and/or a manual socket ratchet. As Tim would say..."more power".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom