Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

would you give up on a c3 project for a c4?

Here are a few pictures of the car. as you can see aside from the seat cushions being bad overall the interior is nice. needs a front bumper aside from that body seems nice. The motor I will just probably buy a new GM long block and have 1 day paint give it a quik paint job. For rims my best friend is giving the stock 1990 chrome wheels from his car with new tires so that alone will save me a bunch. I will start a thread about the car and its progress but like I said it does look for the most part very complete. Just the paint really make it look very very very bad but thats a minor issue.

1990vette10.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x300/jproz1167
/1990vette9.jpg

1990vette3.jpg

1990vette9.jpg

1990vette6.jpg

1990vette5.jpg

1990vette4.jpg

1990vette1.jpg

At least your staying in the corvette family. To each his own as far as C3 vs. C4. The ease of working on a C4 is made up with all the electronic stuff that can be a PITA (been there, done that :) )
Try selling the C3 as a whole first and then part it out if it doesn't sell. Better to see a whole car down the road in the future :)
Good luck!

looks like you deserve a humanitarian award for rescueing that poor car from the abusive owner in its past.

looks like you deserve a humanitarian award for rescueing that poor car from the abusive owner in its past.

Well like I said, If the car is to much work my best friend will buy it off me for spare parts or to turn into a weekend racing car. So at least I won't lose any money on the car whatsoever.

I would like to do the 91-96 bumper update on the car though. But fear not the car won't be subjected to ricer looking garbage on it. I just want it to be nice looking and a everyday driver.

I did a frame on restoration of my 79 coupe, but I have to admit, I would much rather deal with my 84 C-4 than the C-3 any day of the year. The C-4 is much better a designed car, and thus it's much easier to work on and I enjoy driving the C-4 way over the C-3. It just does everything better than the 79. IMHO

Except the really nice view of the front fenders while driiving. Whats better than a C3 with a big block hood? Sexy:cool

Except the really nice view of the front fenders while driiving. Whats better than a C3 with a big block hood? Sexy:cool

Hmmmmmm 26'ish mpg .... cold air that does freeze you out .... passing smog with ease ...... the handling ..... lots a cool buttons .... true targa top ..... better theft protection .... better parts availability ..... god the ease of working on with the clamshell ...... headlights that don't drive me nuts ...... rack and pinion ..... better suspenion all over .....

need more ?????

I do love my C3 don't get me wrong it's just this was a move to simplify my life is all

I've overcome my issues with the C4's. (I think the dramatic taming of the styling turned me off in the early 80's)
I'd hate to see the vert project tabled but I think abandoning it for another vette is ok.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the 90s body style. I would NEVER give up my 80 for a 90. Nothing can compare to the body style of a C3. Plus they are older and will be worth more in the future. My suggestion is to just stick it out with your 82. It will be worth the work in the end when you see how good it looks when you're done!

You did what was right for you and that's all that counts.

Well, today I got this 1990 corvette. Well worth my money I spent, my friend came down with his 90 vette to compare them and this car doesn't seem to have anything missing at all. Aside from the seat cushion being really bad and some wear on the carpet the interior is in great shape. I figure with a few cans of dye to restor some of the faded parts and new seat cushions I should have a very nice interior.

All the weatherstripping is beyond shot so it will need the whole 9 yards there. The car as I had iniatially though to be white originally seems to be this green originally. Transmission seems fine, all light operate correctly, all the guages and climate control operate correctly. Car starts up normally and idles down but needs work blown head gaskets according to him.

what I thought was a fiberglass top is in fact a glass top so that is a plus, aside from the messed up front bumper cover the rest of the body is in great condition, there are no cat converters on it so I will have issues there, it does have flow master mufflers.

Definately not a car that needs to be parted out unless I have un-seen damage which I will crawl under the car for a good look some other time. It does have a air bag light always on so I have to look into that.

So what do you guys think I paid a total of 1700 for it cause I wanted the rims and 100 to have it towed home. But do you guys think this car would be a good candidate to really fix up?

Well, today I got this 1990 corvette. Well worth my money I spent, my friend came down with his 90 vette to compare them and this car doesn't seem to have anything missing at all. Aside from the seat cushion being really bad and some wear on the carpet the interior is in great shape. I figure with a few cans of dye to restor some of the faded parts and new seat cushions I should have a very nice interior.

All the weatherstripping is beyond shot so it will need the whole 9 yards there. The car as I had iniatially though to be white originally seems to be this green originally. Transmission seems fine, all light operate correctly, all the guages and climate control operate correctly. Car starts up normally and idles down but needs work blown head gaskets according to him.

what I thought was a fiberglass top is in fact a glass top so that is a plus, aside from the messed up front bumper cover the rest of the body is in great condition, there are no cat converters on it so I will have issues there, it does have flow master mufflers.

Definately not a car that needs to be parted out unless I have un-seen damage which I will crawl under the car for a good look some other time. It does have a air bag light always on so I have to look into that.

So what do you guys think I paid a total of 1700 for it cause I wanted the rims and 100 to have it towed home. But do you guys think this car would be a good candidate to really fix up?
Honestly I would have to say NO.
You could find a nice driveable 90 for far less $$ than its going to take you to fix this one.How far along was your 82 vert?It sounded like a cool project to me.

Honestly I would have to say NO.
You could find a nice driveable 90 for far less $$ than its going to take you to fix this one.How far along was your 82 vert?It sounded like a cool project to me.

the 82 is light years behind how this 1990 is. trust me the 82 would need far more into to get it to the point this 90 is right now. and for what I paid for the 90 its not like I have to put alot into it to be able to drive it like I would my 82. I started the 90 today and it ran perfect and didnt skip a beat even though the previous owner claimed it has blown head gaskets.

heres some pics I took of the 90 today.

0208091413.jpg

0208091414.jpg

0208091416.jpg

0208091418.jpg

0208091418a.jpg

Okay I did quite a few searches on nice 90-96 vettes. I see the averages around 5k-8k so even on the lowside of 5k its probably going to need cosmetic work in some fashion just like the one I bought. but at almost 4k cheaper I'm sure that 4k can quite easily get my 90 fixed up pretty nice. considering most everything works on this car and it's not missing anything significant I would think makes it a project that is doable.

I'm not intending the car to be a showcar just a nice daily driver, so paint wise it goes to mako for a quiky, new weather stripping, new seat covers. if needed have the 350 rebuilt or maybe I can just get by with head gaskets alone.

worst case scenario I abort mission and sell the car to my best friend which he would by it on the spot for what I paid for it and I am not out anything.

1700 for a complete 90 that even runs in need of cosmetic work I don't think is overpriced in anyones book. Because I have seen worse for even more then what I paid.

So I can't see why putting even 4k into it wouldn't be justifiable I think for a total of 6k thats a fair market value for a 90 vette especially in california :rotfl

I just basically will have a much easier project is all and have a car that is fun to drive and although not as practicle as a mini-van can easily do day to day things I need it for. Yes I could have bought a much newer vette but this will make a fun project for my son and I. At 8y/o this is the coolest car he says he has ever been in and since when he was in my friends 90 vette he has wanted one. So at least he has enthusiasm for the car. I will probably just keep the C3 and tinker with it when my son is older and I have more time on my hands.

Yeah, for $1700, you got a really good deal! :thumb
You could easily spend that much on a banged up rolling chassis.

And for everyone else...think about this. How much of a used car of any make/model can you get for $1700? He got himself a used 1990 Corvette for $1700. I think that's a damn good price considering it seems to be mechanically sound! Even if it needs works, it's still drivable whereas his '82 project car wasn't.

I'm actually not even sure this car has blown head gasket/s. His ad on ebay stated the oil gets contaminated but I've run it for up to 15-20 minutes yeah theres white smoke but been cold and rainy outside and my trans am smokes equally as much under the same conditions. Now the fans are not coming on so after about 15 minutes or so yes it is very hot so I am wondering being the guy I bought it from was a 21 y/o if he was confusing its fans not coming on and overheating as blown head gaskets.

The car mainly appears to be a neglected/aged car verses an abused one. I'm fairly certain the peeling paint is the original polo green paint, doesn't appear it's ever been repainted or color changed, no damaged fiberglass anywhere on the car. body wise just needs a front bumper cover and maybe small parts under the cover and to fill the holes on the rear deck because it had a rediculous big aluminum spoiler on the back of it. Only significant thing that is missing is the radio, I do know it needs a a/c compresser clutch and heater core and yes I know how hard it is to change the heater core.

Car was originally sold in california so I would highly doubt it's been subjected to rust. I actually put a lot of thought into this car and didn't go into buying it blindly. Like I said if I give up on it I can sell it for what I paid for it or part it out for more and have even more money to fix my C3 up.

The 90 is one of my favorite C-4 years.You get the new dash with the flat back bumper and no opti spark issues.Good luck with your new project.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom