Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wrecked my Vette

Thanks. As I have never had one go off on me I don’t know what it is like.

Anyone wanna chime in what it’s like? I ask because I’m curious. I have read that they’re made out of some strong fabric like canvas or something and they can leave abrasions from the rough fabric. I may be wrong. I have also read many times on the net to not breath the dust or whatever it is that comes out of them as it could be toxic.

Never really paid attention to them since they’ve been out.

If you don’t mind please share your experiences if you’ve had one deploy on you. What I am particularly interested in is what it would do to you head and neck. Will it push it back rapidly? If so I would be in major trouble.

So sorry to hear of your bad news, Paul. There's another Vette out there for you. Take your time finding it.

Sorry for your trouble Paul, I know how you feel, I crashed a beautiful 70 Vette once, wasn't my fault, but it still sucks either way. The air bags are fired using a small charge, after they are fired they deflate quickly and smoke is usually evident. I've seen many airbag deployments at my job, one that sticks out was a women who was in an accident obviously, she was dressed to kill, alot of make-up, first thing we do is disconnect the battery for fire reasons, after it was all over we inspected the airbags and there was a perfect set of red lips (lipstick)on the bag. I guess that was better than seeing blood. . I believe airbags are made of Kevlar and they will hurt you, esp. if your not belted. Good luck to you.

As I have never had one go off on me I don’t know what it is like.

The 1 in my old 07 Pontiac G5 knocked me out cold,guy made a left infront of me so I nailed the SOB doen about 40MPH.When I came to,I thought the car was on fire since there was so much smoke from the bag.Definately not a fun thing.The drivers door wouldn't open so a few people finally pryed it open so I could get out.I didnt have any serious injuries since I always wear my seat belt. My whole body hurt tho,felt like a cople guys beat the liven crap outa me.The bag was a definate plus & im glad for it,would of been a lot worse if I was driven the 78 or the 85.
Sorry bout your accident,glad your ok!

Thanks fellas. I don’t think I’d ever want one to inflate on me. I was fortunate.

As for finding another Vette? That’s the hard problem. Robin and I have been scouring the Internet and cannot find anything to replace it.

It is a lousy feeling to be Vette-less. It has always been my dream car. Someone could give me a brand new Ferrari free today and I would just take it to the Chevy dealer and tell them to give me as many Vettes as its worth. To me there’s only two kinds of cars, Vettes and just a boring way to get from point a to point b.

I have been in love with Corvettes since I was six years old.

Paul, I was looking on eBay last night and ran across an 03 Spiral gray coupe with relative low miles (I don't remember how many, and thought of you. You might check that out.

Thanks Tom! Thanks jrose!!

jrose, what does it have in it? Mine was loaded to the gills.

I would like it to be an auto.
a HUD is a must, will not buy a Vette w/o a HUD.
12 CD Bose stereo.
Memory controls for seats.
Side door trim
Tan & black interior
That’s just off the top of my head.

I have the options list and looked it up here when I bought it and was amazed that the guy who bought it had it optioned out to the max.

jrose, PM me if you’d like.

Thanks. And I’ll look at that one on e-bay too Tom. Thanks so much.

Jim, you selling your car? You looking at a new one?

If you are OK, it came out well. Even though it was your baby, it's only a car. There are many C5s and 6s out there waiting for you.

Wow Paul, glad you are okay!

If you really want the car still... I'd bet Junky could fix it. In fact, I'd bet after he was done with it it would be better than new. Just ask him about Medusa...

:upthumbs

Jim, you selling your car? You looking at a new one?
It's not actively on the market Tom but I'll always sell one because there's always another that I wouldn't mind having. Paul my car has HUD but that's about it. Does have dual climate control but just a single CD.
IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

Glad to hear y

Paul,

I'm VERY sorry to hear about your car, but as everyone else said, the car can be replaced and thank goodness nobody was hurt.

Mr. Rose's '04 Spiral Grey is a real beauty - I really do believe that sometimes things happen for a reason Paul! :)

Thanks JJS.

Here’s another I took today, one of many.

DSCN5117.jpg

They're out there. I just picked up an '02 with 8536 miles on it for $23000.00. It has HUD, memory seat and steering column, auto headlights, dual climate control, 12 disc changer, active handling, glass roof, chrome wheels and looks llike brand new! I traded the Infiniti my ex-wife left even for it at CarMax. Art

Major Bummer!

Sorry to hear about the demise of your Vette, Paul! It went before its time, for sure. Glad nothing was hurt but your pride, though!

I've bought my last few cars by perusing AutoTrader online. In fact, there are three Medium Spiral Gray C5 coupes within 200 miles of you (two within 30 miles) for sale right now on AutoTrader; if you're willing to consider any year/color, there are 21 C5 coupes within 100 miles of you.

If you spot one you really like in/around Lexington, KY (which is where my job has me for the bulk of my time right now), let me know; I'll be happy to put eyes on it for you and save you a trip for potentially nothing.

Due to its relative proximity to Lexington, I also wind up in Pittsburgh, PA quite a bit these days, visiting family. So if you spot something interesting there, same offer to view it applies. Not sure if you're strictly looking for another coupe or what, but here are a couple Medium Spiral Gray convertibles for sale there.

Good luck, and be sure to let us all know what you end up with as a replacement!

Tim, thanks, you are very kind to help me out. I will look at them in a few minutes. Because of the holiday I have to wait on State Farm to decide if it's totaled. Everyone I had look at it says it is but Junk called me this morning (after sending him a bunch of very specific photos he asked for) and he said it may not be totaled. So who knows. I think its totaled. I just have to wait. Then I have to see what my credit union will do for a loan al over again.

This is a huge hassle but at least I'm not hurt.

I may PM you about this if I need your help.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Paul

Tim, thanks, you are very kind to help me out. I will look at them in a few minutes. Because of the holiday I have to wait on State Farm to decide if it's totaled. Everyone I had look at it says it is but Junk called me this morning (after sending him a bunch of very specific photos he asked for) and he said it may not be totaled. So who knows. I think its totaled. I just have to wait. Then I have to see what my credit union will do for a loan al over again.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Paul

Any vehicle involved in an accident can look worse then the actual damage. Modern vehicles have crush zones designed to absorb impacts making the damage look worse than the actual repairs would cost. The fact that your airbags didn't go off will be hugely in your favor for the possibility of not having to total the vehicle. Good luck with it. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving,

Paul

Understood. I'll await you PM, if necessary. If yours can be saved, I'm sure Junk would know!

And remember: sometimes insurance companies deal in two kinds of totaled: there's totaled, insurance company gives you cash and takes what's left of the car; and there's totaled, insurance company gives you less cash and you keep what's left of the car. If Junk determines he can fix it, the latter might be the better option for you, if available...

A Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom