Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wrong Intake

Stingray74CC

Corvette
Black Cherry 1969 Stingray
It's been a while since I've surfed the webpages of the Corvette Action Center. I see alot of familar names. I'm glad to see that alot of you are better at sticking around than I am.

Anyhow, for the longest time, I've had problems with my tri-power setup. Vacuum leaks, plugs constantly fouled, no choke, gas leaks, stumbling on acceleration, backfire in the carb and exhaust so on and so on. So I've decided to change the intake and carb to an edlebrock setup...nothing fancy but hopefully make it run alot smoother and maybe even a little more power.

I went on Summit and ordered the parts that supposedly fit the car...intake happened to be a torquer II (the only one they sold that fits under a stock corvette hood). Well there was an issue, the intake ports on the heads are visible when I set the torquer II on the engine. I haven't done this type of work before on the car so I wasn't sure about the size when I ordered the part or even looked at it out of the box.

I did a little bit more internet searching and found a C427X that Edlebrock makes/used to make that will supposedly do the job.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have any recommendations on the parts I should use? BTW, the engine is an L89, 1969, 427.

Great to be back on the site.

Anthony

Not sure what heads come on L89, but sounds like you have an oval port intake and rectangular port heads or just the opposite. Look and see what intake you have, oval or rectangular, and then check your heads. Summit will probably let you return it in exchange for the right one plus whatever stocking fee or price difference.

L-89 indicates the optional aluminum heads for the L-71 427/435 big block. Sounds as if your new intake would fit the iron heads, but not the aluminum. Give Summit a call and explain the situation.

:)

They are aluminum heads with the square ports. Before I took the thing apart, the guys at summit told me it'd be oval. I'll give them a call today to see about correcting the issue.

Unless they have changed, according to my 2006 Edelbrock catalog, they only make the TorkerII for big block chevys in oval port design. Maybe they will give you credit.

Might have to start searching for a factory 65 L-78 or 66 L-72 square port intake,although im not sure it will fit under the hood.Be careful, the NCRS fanatics will hunt you down for taking apart an original L-89.:L

Welcome back Anthony:
Sounds as though you know where to go w/ the oval-rectangle port issue. I remember you from this forum ... as far back as when you were a middie & attending classes on the right coast.:pat

Fair Winds & Following Seas,
Jack:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom